C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opinions/real world experience wanted: LS swap or L98 build

Old 09-22-2017, 09:07 PM
JasBass
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=armybyrd;1595607824]wheels make a huge different appearance wise.

Any good recommendations?
Old 09-22-2017, 10:10 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
I have tons of real world experience with GEN I SBC's. Very easy to meet or exceed your stated goals. Money wise, I guess it depends on who your dealing with.

I also have a bit of experience with LSX swaps....

They are cool little engines and have their advantages but don't think it's all advantages.....Here it is from my point of view.

It's super easy to drop and LSX into a C4 Vette and make it run/drive. It's a totally different level of work if you want to keep the AC and heat, cruise control ect... The accessory drive is totally different and could be a real PITA to fit one with everything on it in a C4 Vette due to the steering rack position.

LSX swap can be done pretty cheap with a junk yard engine and hacked up factory harness. Not so much with a new GM crate which, LS3 ($6,700) or the LS3/525 ($8400) and that is just for the bare engine... standalone harness and ECM is more money. You add a little complexity with the ZF6 trans but there is a swap FW/Clutch and bell housing available, it's just not cheap. Other option there is a T56 swap, which has it's own head aches if you want to stay 6spd manual.

People often over state the power capability of stock LS engines.... yea you can make a lot of power with them.... But seriously LS engines have cast cranks, PM rods and Hyper Pistons.... that crap will fail and often does.... People always quote the success stories but being in the racing engine business, I can tell you that there are 10 failures for every one that makes it. If you want a really powerful & reliable LS engine, you need to build one right... just like any other engine.

IF you are really serious, I have a customer that is upgrading his C4 Vette from daily driver to a more race oriented car and his current GEN I SBC engine can be bought pretty cheap.... 530+HP, 480+TQ, complete with dyno sheets, full build documentation.....
Will
I came here to say this^^

Having had a 408 and 434 and now an LS, I should have had Will build me something SBC when I had the chance. My situation with going LS was a bit different though, I had already gone to miniram and DFI on the 408 and then 434 had 18 degree heads, just about everything from the original engine and electronics was already gone and I had a Richmond 6 speed. I love the LS and obviously like to tinker so it was fun, rewarding, and well, it's done and works so there isn't much more to say about it. It's also an 85 so I didn't have to worry about integration to other electronics. It just runs, clean smooth and just the right power for my current desires.

Your goals are within reach with no sacrifice to ancillaries like AC and such. If you're not doing the work, it's going to cost a lot for someone to figure it all out and do it for you.

Talk to Will, you'll get exactly what you want with minimal headache and sacrifice.

Last edited by Steve85; 09-24-2017 at 09:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JasBass (09-23-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

JasBass, the best deals for bigger rubber is go find someone's take offs. I bought a set of wheels off a 2012 C6 ZR1 car (275/35/R18 and 325/30/R19). I was surprised on they still had rubber on them. I bought them for $600, once I'm done someone can buy the rims. I probably just get one season out them

I prefer building up a LS3 or a LSA engine if it was my car, which at some point I will have and do. This fall/winter I'm just doing the chassis/brakes.

FYI LSA engines have piston cooler jets, which handy if you gonna run boost and make big power numbers. Eight bolt forged cranks and forged pistons stock.
The following users liked this post:
JasBass (09-27-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 02:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Steve and Will are giving good perpectives being as they have built, owned and driven all the above....the LSx is yesterdays 18 deg 350 only better it just costs more. GM did a pretty good job overall with them

Last edited by cv67; 09-24-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions/real world experience wanted: LS swap or L98 build