C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 code 43 ESC

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 92 code 43 ESC

This code 43 just popped up. I understand it something to do with the knock sensors. Any ideas as to what should be done? Years ago I put in Crane roller rockers, but they seem very quiet. I still have the original knock sensors with almost 70 K on the Vette.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:29 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

If you still have the stock knock sensors, "Dude".. It is time to change out yout coolant.

Last edited by mixalive; 08-31-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Strick
Race Director

Originally Posted by mixalive
If you still have the stock knock sensors, "Dude".. It is time to change out yout coolant.
The coolant has been flushed several times. Once when I installed the electric water pump and once after that. I also flushed it when I bought the Vette.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Strick
Race Director

Originally Posted by don hall
If you didn't remove the knock sensors when you "flushed" it, all
you did was drain it. Check your PMs.
Just so everyone knows, I changed and flushed the coolant 3 times since I bought the Vette back when it had 25 K on it (It only has 70K on it now). I also wrote a tech tip on how I flush the coolant using a home built "Y" that connects to both knock sensor holes and then to my garden hose. But I guess the article got dropped. I also used a washing machine drain hose plugged into the tank where the coolant is off loaded.

I might be having an electrical problem as my radio quit and another code popped up (28).

Last edited by Strick; 09-01-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:04 AM
Strick
Race Director

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
20+ years ago I had a Code 43 in my 93 Blazer that had dual knock sensors. This is what I found:

Could be corrosion on the threads of one of the knock sensors is adding resistance, and the system fails the DTC43 diagnostic. Check the resistance of the center pin to the body of the sensor then again to the block. If you find one of the sensors is different (higher resistance to the block) clean that sensor's threads.
Sounds reasonable to me, I'll give it a try. Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 08:38 PM
Strick
Race Director

When installing knock sensors, what do you put on the threads? It must be conductive or it would effect the ground connection.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Strick
Race Director

Here is what I did. First I followed the FSM and tested the lead coming from the ECM with the key on and got the required 5 volts on both leads. then I tested the resistance between the center of the knock sensor and ground, bingo, the driver's side was not within limits, 3300-4200. So, I had to look around for knock sensors and the dealer$hip was the only place that had them in stock. They were AC Delco and,yes, they had sealant on the threads. Both tested fine and I installed them. My anti freeze was clean and still nice and green, but I replaced it anyway. I really didn't have to replace both sensors but I figured if one failed then the other might be close behind. The results....drum roll, was successful and the code went away. As a side note, having the electric water pump makes it easy to burp all the air out of the system.
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Strick
Race Director

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Glad you got it fixed. Coolness.

Did you happen to check the old sensors for continuity between the center pin and the body of the sensor? My money is on the sensor was still good, but the connection to the block (the threads) had become resistive. 3,500-4,500 ohms is a bad connection, not an open circuit.

Yes I checked the resistance between the center pin and the body both before removal and after. One was good the other was bad.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 code 43 ESC

Quick Reply: 92 code 43 ESC