C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What brand of brakes/rotors do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:13 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What brand of brakes/rotors do you use?

Howdy guys!
I've been getting a lot of squeaking coming from the front of the car when I'm driving at low speeds (about 5-30mph).
The car pulsates pretty badly when I'm stopping and as far as I can tell, the front brakes haven't been done for a while, so I've figured I'm probably in need of replacing the brakes.

The past few times I've changed out my brakes were on my 92 GMC truck and I usually just grabbed whatever pads I could afford at AutoZone that would get the job done. However, with the Vette being my first performance car I figured just going for Duralast entry level brakes ain't gonna cut it.

I daily drive her and I've never taken her racing or to any sort of performance event, and I very rarely get her anywhere past 90. That being said, what do you guys think are the best brakes and rotors for the buck?

Like just about everyone here I'd love some brakes that stop on a dime, never wear down, and cost a little less than pocket lint but god knows if I ever found them I'd have little golden piggies coming out my exhaust pipes But who do y'all like for brakes and rotors, either on or off a budget?
Old 09-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I bought Hawk HPS pads last year and I love them. Just AC Delco Rotors
Old 09-15-2017, 07:18 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
I bought Hawk HPS pads last year and I love them. Just AC Delco Rotors
+1 here
Old 09-15-2017, 07:44 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

3rd on the Hawks, any decent rotor brand is fine, pads play the bigger roll.

Last edited by bac22; 09-17-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:53 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

I used Autozone Duralast pads and rotors. I did the fronts and rears for under $200. Car stops fine and has been all over the US this spring and summer.
Attached Images      
Old 09-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

As far as rotors I would get some Centric rotors quality and reasonably priced. For pads I recommend the Carbotech 1521.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 PM
CMiller95
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just changed from the upper level Oreilly pads and rotors to EBC rotors and Hawk HPS pads. It is night and day with how well the car will stop. I used to have to slam on the brakes as hard as I could for ABS to kick in. Now I have to apply moderate-heavy pressure and the abs is actuating on all four tires. It stops like a dream
Old 09-16-2017, 06:44 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hawk HPS pads just like the others above have recommended.
Work great! Not too expensive
Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Looks like Hawk HPS is the more popular among our C4's, so that's where I'll be going for pads.
It also looks like a few of y'all are mentioning the pads and the way the ABS works with them. If the car doesn't currently have the ABs active (one of the ABS speed sensor ends were sheared off before I got it) would that affect the pad/rotor I should choose? Or is it the same either way?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

damn. i was going to reply saying i just use el cheapo rotors and el cheapo pads. which i do. but in reading all these statements i think its time i really updated my setup to these hps pads.

in the 3 c4's ive owned i found that simply taking the pads off, facedown on a flat surface with sandpaper smooth. then bleed the brakes to be airless, and then re-seat the pads on the rotors properly (I had all 4 corners smoking last time i did it) and the brakes work perfectly. ive never had "performance" pads or rotors just worked with what is available. i suspect that the only place i'd notice insufficient performance is on a road track with eventual brake fade.
The following users liked this post:
Cjunkie (09-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To What brand of brakes/rotors do you use?

Quick Reply: What brand of brakes/rotors do you use?