C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heat insulation and sound deadening kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 02:24 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Heat insulation and sound deadening kits

Can these be installed together?
the heat insulation under the carpets and the sound/noise deadening kit above?
and do they really work to reduce the heat and sound.
Appreciate the feedback

TIA
Old 09-18-2017, 10:05 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Which noise deadening kit are you looking at getting?
Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
Which noise deadening kit are you looking at getting?
Nothing in particular but I've seen some at mid America, corvette central ...etc and wanted to get a feedback from anyone who installed them..
Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

FWIW, I did Dynamat under the carpet, then a layer of FrostKing.

Look up FrostKing mod. People have been doing it to C3's for years. It definitely helped with resonance of the car, and the tunnel heat from the headers (near my right leg) is virtually gone.

From my understanding of the Car Audio world the most effective sound deadening comes from Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) that is decoupled from whatever area you are trying to deaden by a layer of Closed Cell Foam (CCF). MLV Is very heavy, so you probably won't find much information about people putting it into Corvettes, as most people aren't interested in adding weight to their cars.

Could also research LizardSkin. They make a coating that is applied directly to panels through the means of a spraygun and is pretty effective based on what I've seen
Old 09-18-2017, 01:00 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

FWIW, I did Dynamat under the carpet, then a layer of FrostKing.

Look up FrostKing mod. People have been doing it to C3's for years. It definitely helped with resonance of the car, and the tunnel heat from the headers (near my right leg) is virtually gone.

From my understanding of the Car Audio world the most effective sound deadening comes from Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) that is decoupled from whatever area you are trying to deaden by a layer of Closed Cell Foam (CCF). MLV Is very heavy, so you probably won't find much information about people putting it into Corvettes, as most people aren't interested in adding weight to their cars.

Could also research LizardSkin. They make a coating that is applied directly to panels through the means of a spraygun and is pretty effective based on what I've seen
what is your ride? and which Dynamat you installed? If I may ask.
Im more interested in heat insulation to keep
it out of the interiors. Is this what you have? And is it effective?
TIA
Old 09-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

My car is an 85. I have Noico from Amazon, I think it was 80 mil. I pulled the carpet and did the whole inside of the car with Noico then did a layer of frost king on top of it. It made a pretty noticeable difference
Old 09-19-2017, 05:33 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

My car is an 85. I have Noico from Amazon, I think it was 80 mil. I pulled the carpet and did the whole inside of the car with Noico then did a layer of frost king on top of it. It made a pretty noticeable difference
Thanks👍🏻 Will look into that
Old 09-19-2017, 01:09 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

There are probably better options, but I got away with doing the whole car for around $100. CCF and MLV combination is best, but could easily add 40+ pounds to the weight of the car
Old 09-22-2017, 02:05 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I used pipe insulation from Home Depot. It has a foil backing...meaning it addressed heat AND sound with one product. Results in both areas were well worth it!

I thought (at least SOME) other sound deadening products included the "foil" backing? Maybe not anymore? It's been awhile since I purchased the pipe insulation so I'm not familiar with current offerings in that regard. From what I remember, I was thinking it ran about $15/roll and needed 5 or 6 to cover front/back.

At the time, I sprayed the wheel wells with undercoating but would refrain from that as a recommendation to others. I placed common house insulation behind the rear wheel wells and would do that again. By itself, the insulation was WELL worth it (for sound abatement)...and hasn't caused problems in over 7yrs.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
I used pipe insulation from Home Depot. It has a foil backing...meaning it addressed heat AND sound with one product. Results in both areas were well worth it!

I thought (at least SOME) other sound deadening products included the "foil" backing? Maybe not anymore? It's been awhile since I purchased the pipe insulation so I'm not familiar with current offerings in that regard. From what I remember, I was thinking it ran about $15/roll and needed 5 or 6 to cover front/back.

At the time, I sprayed the wheel wells with undercoating but would refrain from that as a recommendation to others. I placed common house insulation behind the rear wheel wells and would do that again. By itself, the insulation was WELL worth it (for sound abatement)...and hasn't caused problems in over 7yrs.
Frost King is exactly that, pipe insulation for HVAC. It was foil backed. What R value did you put behind the wheel wells? R-7? Lol!!

Might try it on mine. Have a few rolls laying around....

​​​​​​Jeremy
Old 09-23-2017, 02:09 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEROVETTE7
Can these be installed together?
the heat insulation under the carpets and the sound/noise deadening kit above?
and do they really work to reduce the heat and sound.
Appreciate the feedback

TIA
I used Dynamat. Expensive and heavy. It did cut down the drone from the exhaust.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:10 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Frost King is exactly that, pipe insulation for HVAC. It was foil backed. What R value did you put behind the wheel wells? R-7? Lol!!
Well....between the addition of Frost King and improved "R Value", my butt doesn't get cold anymore!

Get notified of new replies

To Heat insulation and sound deadening kits

Quick Reply: Heat insulation and sound deadening kits