C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

!986 coupe, braking issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default !986 coupe, braking issues...

Developed some braking problems the other day. I noticed at a light, that my car didn't move at all when I took my foot off the brake pedal. It didn't seem I had to give it excessive throttle to move, so figured I'd go straight home and check it out. At another light with an incline, I put it in neutral, and it didn't coast back at all either. I was now only a couple of blocks from home. On my way back, it seemed to lose power, so I pulled into the closest lot. When I pulled into the lot, the pedal sank to the floor and the car was hard to stop. Wasn't sure what to do, so I took a peek. There was brake fluid on my master cylinder filler cap...looks like it may have boiled out. Didn't see any leaks anywhere underneath the car. Called a few wreckers, but several told me they could not come get me that day, and one told me about 7 hours. We just had a hurricane here in Florida, so I was out of luck. Transmission dipstick was pretty hot too. So I waited a few hours. After it cooled down some, the brakes no longer seemed to be holding it back, and it coasted again, but now the parking brake didn't work. Traffic had died down, so I decided to drive it home. It did stop, but pedal still went to the floor.

Pretty sure my master cylinder is shot, and I plan to replace it. I do see some fluid around the seals on the bottom. Not sure if it's just from boiling out, but again, I plan to replace that and the fluid at a minimum. Any thoughts on what might have happened? Could another component have caused this, and overheated the master cylinder or something? Any tips or videos on what to look for and/or test? it did not pull to the left or right, so maybe my calipers are okay...at least the front, but what about the rear? Parking brake clicks and all, and I do think I hear it engage, but it no longer holds. My rotors are a bit rusty looking from the car sitting. Anyway...anxious to hear your thoughts and tips!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:04 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Read This....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-86-a.html
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (09-18-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 12:01 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Some good info here, but welcome as much as I can get. I was planning on doing the hoses as well. My truck is a few years younger, and they are dry and cracked looking, so I can only imagine what they're like on this car. Know of any caliper rebuild write-up? Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To !986 coupe, braking issues...

Quick Reply: !986 coupe, braking issues...