C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4L60 Band All Burned Up. Why?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:09 PM
IHBD
Instructor

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,293 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default 4L60 Band All Burned Up. Why?

thanks for the help

Last edited by IHBD; 03-15-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:34 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I've done about a dozen 4L60 and 60e's over the years, I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I'm past the point where I make mistakes from inexperience. . I've never seen this before. I want to be sure I won't overlook a root cause.

I "patched" this transmission for a friend a couple of years ago, after a sprag failure that destroyed everything in the input drum and the drum itself. I used parts from my stash, and it worked pretty well when we were done. He drove it probably 20,000 miles since. It was a complete used sprag assembly from a working transmission. It is the double-cage late sprag.

He said he was going pretty fast (better than 80, which in this truck is about 3,000 RPM) and it "downshifted" he thinks to 3rd, and sent out a huge smokescreen. He was able to drive it home. All it had was 1st, 3rd, and reverse.

The band and drum are destroyed. Total melt-down, with metal transfer to the drum from the band. The forward sprag wasn't seized, but was really tight. The flippers are ground down on the inside. Both inner and outer races are brinelled and scored. It looks like the sprag ran dry and seized. If the sprag seizes in 4th, it will force the band to slip. Hence the band burn-up and all the smoke. The servo looks fine, I didn't assemble it incorrectly. The 3-4, forward, and lo-reverse clutches all look fine. I don't think it was a TV problem.

Am I on the right track? Did the sprag seize at the high speed, and the band was collateral damage? Did the sprag seize because it was "used", although it checked out fine? The ATSG book says to replace the sprag if there arfe any signs of distress on the ears of the shell or drum, even if the sprag checks and feels Ok.

Or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.
I am more inclined to think that the 4th circuit was leaking and not clamping the band as tight as it should. The slipping would eventually cause the metal on metal destruction and a simulated downshift to third. Since the sprag is free wheeling in 4th, it has no torque on it and I don't believe it is a factor. Does your friend bag his truck? The sprag damage could be an unrelated matter.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:04 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 333 Posts

..... Did you use a wide band on a used drum ? .....
Old 09-24-2017, 01:31 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I was wondering about clearance too.. It's an odd one.

You have a lube failure? Does it look like the facing came off? VB look okay? Is the servo built right? If you flip the top piston over, it still fits but it'll burn your band.

Any thoughts on how to check the clearance without the checking tool?
Generally speaking, you want to see about 1/4 - 3/8 or so travel at the apply pin. The band should be "wigglable" (It should be a word, anyway.) and you can air check it for proper movement on the underside of the case.

There are different length pins for adjustment. You can weld or grind on them also. They aren't fussy.

Last edited by confab; 09-24-2017 at 01:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
knikula (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 07:24 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
arbee:

I've seen a lot of broken and damaged sprags. None like this one. Almost like cold-weld damage. It didn't turn in the free direction very well at all, but was holding in the hold direction. Because the guy knew it was a patch-job (he was there watching / learning) he said he drove it gently. Most of the time.

There was a TON of smoke. Looking at the band and drum, its easy to deduce that this is where the smoke was generated from. Nothing else is burned. The 3-4 was still the clearance we had when we put it together.

AFAIK, the 4th circuit is pretty simple. Not much to leak other than the servo seal, and the pin bore. Please correct me if I'm wrong. One thought is that I had too much clearance on the band. The servo pin was too short. I don't have the special checking tool. I was taught to check the band by "wiggle" with a screwdriver after assembly, and that the output shaft must turn backwards. Perhaps the band was too loose, and that would of course hasten its demise. Any thoughts on how to check the clearance without the checking tool?

I still think the sprag damage is related to the smoke-generation (sprag seized with the band applied, forcing 3rd, forcing the band to slip) but thanks to your input, I'm going to pay attention to the band clearance when it goes back together.

Thanks. Much appreciated.
Kind of strange. You mention it was a used sprag. Coincidence? Maybe. Stranger things have happened. I am thinking maybe it was damaged by massive heat generated by the slipping band. From the oil you described, it must have near been on fire. I will check in my books for a hint. I still think you lost band pressure and the sprag was collateral damage.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

That will cost you lockup.. If the one in the input drum is missing or damaged, you'll have lube issues.

There are two styles made from different materials for different years.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:18 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

It would be if the cap doesn't limit travel. I usually just hit the small, round hole underneath on the VB side with compressed air and check it that way.

Get notified of new replies

To 4L60 Band All Burned Up. Why?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60 Band All Burned Up. Why?