C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What do you guys recommend for tuning 383 fi engine 94?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do you guys recommend for tuning 383 fi engine 94?

Wanting to procharge or turbocharge my 94 383, forged scat assembly, genx 185 heads, 11.1 compression I know its high but many have done it and even higher. Planning to run 93 with meth injection, possibly go e85?? I am wanting to reach 700hp goal this winter with the car. She now sits roughly 500 crank hp from researching similar builds. 8 lbs boost should get me in that neighborhood I am hoping anyways.
I have ran into some snags though as I am not familiar with lt1 pcm tuning and all these chips, piggy backs, etc it gets a little confusing. On top of that the difficulty finding someone local to tune it for me. "northern il" I have experience with carb setups but I don't claim to be any type of reputable tuner lol.
How do all the procharger guys do it? I heard fmu and retard the timing? what about injectors?
basically looking for any advice I can get without getting over my head. What's the most affordable way I can get this tuned without to much headache for my self? Mail order chip work?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:22 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Great information in this thread to get you started.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...?highlight=E85

Steve
Old 09-24-2017, 10:06 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
Great information in this thread to get you started.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...?highlight=E85

Steve
Thanks bud. Not sure that's the same application as I am shooting for 7oo+ hp tq
after reading all day I am going to make some calls. really not sure the stock pcm is up to par for my demands. Thinking a stand alone may be the way to go. Not even sure if this is worth it if I can just spray nitrous the way I sit. LTCC kit to retard timing. Really would like ft power though.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:15 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Easy !

Originally Posted by turbocvette
Wanting to procharge or turbocharge my 94 383, forged scat assembly, genx 185 heads, 11.1 compression I know its high but many have done it and even higher. Planning to run 93 with meth injection, possibly go e85?? I am wanting to reach 700hp goal this winter with the car. She now sits roughly 500 crank hp from researching similar builds. 8 lbs boost should get me in that neighborhood I am hoping anyways.
I have ran into some snags though as I am not familiar with lt1 pcm tuning and all these chips, piggy backs, etc it gets a little confusing. On top of that the difficulty finding someone local to tune it for me. "northern il" I have experience with carb setups but I don't claim to be any type of reputable tuner lol.
How do all the procharger guys do it? I heard fmu and retard the timing? what about injectors?
basically looking for any advice I can get without getting over my head. What's the most affordable way I can get this tuned without to much headache for my self? Mail order chip work?
Easy to do with your '94 - just call me to discuss !!! greg
Old 09-25-2017, 09:18 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

The stock PCM will be fine for this application, and it totally tunable. You can purchase Tuncercat, and ask them for the definition file that locks out BLM Learning so that once you set the WOT (i.e. open loop) parameters it will never try to change itself. Having someone else tune it is certainly option. But Tunercat is so cheap (less than $80, I think) that I would still purchase it and at least store a copy of the stock tune and the new tune for future references, in case you ever have to replace the PCM or want to start trying things for yourself.

I know you realize that's a very high CR for a blown LT engine. I really don't know of another LTx application on pump gas like that. On E85, though, it should work well.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Why does it have to be local? I'd ask Hitech if they still do dyno tunes for this vehicle. They did a few years ago. I don't like mail order since most of them are "guess a tune". Much better to have someone tune it on a dyno and then drive it to test how it runs on the street.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:43 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
Why does it have to be local? I'd ask Hitech if they still do dyno tunes for this vehicle. They did a few years ago. I don't like mail order since most of them are "guess a tune". Much better to have someone tune it on a dyno and then drive it to test how it runs on the street.
Where is hitech located? I don't mind traveling to far for a tune. And not apposed to a mail tune if I can keep an eye on things my self knock sensors and AIT I am somewhat familiar with tuning but would like someone with a wealth of knowledge on this one.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:44 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
You have a phone number or website?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Where is hitech located? I don't mind traveling to far for a tune. And not apposed to a mail tune if I can keep an eye on things my self knock sensors and AIT I am somewhat familiar with tuning but would like someone with a wealth of knowledge on this one.
Thanks for the reply.
Elk River MN
The following users liked this post:
turbocvette (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

And not apposed to a mail tune if I can keep an eye on things my self knock sensors and AIT I am somewhat familiar with tuning but would like someone with a wealth of knowledge on this one.
Thanks for the reply.
How would you keep an eye on things yourself? You'd have to run a scanner all day long. Unless they do datalogging, they are basically guessing what your motor needs assuming everything is spot on. If you are familiar with tuning, why not rent a dyno and do it yourself? Otherwise, drag it to MN or wherever and let them help you.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:29 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
How would you keep an eye on things yourself? You'd have to run a scanner all day long. Unless they do datalogging, they are basically guessing what your motor needs assuming everything is spot on. If you are familiar with tuning, why not rent a dyno and do it yourself? Otherwise, drag it to MN or wherever and let them help you.
Sorry for the confusion. I have no lt1 experience with tune/pcm logging etc. I do have some/little experience with hp tuners real time logging etc and also logging from innovate. Made slight changes to a base tune I loaded from their website. The innovate was different because I used those to tune a turbo busa the best I could. I don't mind some driving just not half way crossed the country. I will look them up for sure. I agree with your logic somewhat. That busa was eventually tuned professionally on a dyno but we were after et's not peak power. That same guy met me at the track to make changes because I had to much power coming in to fast. He backed the tune down and bam I was gaining almoste 1/2 second off the et. I was thinking I could log and just send via email or video for someone to make changes? Just couldn't find anyone in Illinois doing lt1 stuff. I am happy to know the stock pcm can handle my needs. I am old school carburetor stuff I guess... lol
Old 09-26-2017, 01:07 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
How do you provide boost fueling and spark retard with $EE ?

-- Joe
Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I will look them up for sure. I agree with your logic somewhat. That busa was eventually tuned professionally on a dyno but we were after et's not peak power. That same guy met me at the track to make changes because I had to much power coming in to fast. He backed the tune down and bam I was gaining almoste 1/2 second off the et. I was thinking I could log and just send via email or video for someone to make changes? Just couldn't find anyone in Illinois doing lt1 stuff. I am happy to know the stock pcm can handle my needs. I am old school carburetor stuff I guess... lol
The stock PCM will not be as flexible for adjustment on a daily basis so if you are a race team, you'd need to find something better. That said, if it is adjusted and you don't make radical changes, it should be fine. As to your Busa, well, that is why he wanted to do it at the track or dyno. In my case, we kept adjusting till it reached max power and started to drop off. Once it started to drop off, we went back to the last tune. Without a dyno, you are going to be somewhat limited and going to have to guess since it would be impossible to see what you saw at the track. Also, consistency is a factor when you are taking WOT runs. If you can keep it relatively consistent, sure. If not, well....

If they are willing to take a guess and then work with you on datalogging, fair enough. That could work. OTOH, many places will write you a tune and be done with it. Problem comes in when you make changes. Either he has to leave something on the table or make it aggressive. If it is aggressive, the risk is higher when he cannot see it.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Thanks for the help everyone. Called some tuners today and they are basically nervous about it and wont do it. CR to high for them. They said it can and has been done many times with very good results but they don't want their name on It obviously because the tune has to be near spot on.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Talk

Originally Posted by anesthes

-- Joe
Can do several ways including actual 2 or 3 BAR MAPs !!!
Not 'fake news' ........ LOL
Old 09-27-2017, 08:44 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

-- Joe
Tunercat has a $EE2B program that is designed to be used with a 2 bar MAP sensor. You can use this to tune fueling and spark for boost.

That being said the easiest way to do this is with an aftermarket computer like a Holley or FAST system. I suggest the Holley because it has transmission control already integrated into the computer so you can set the AFR and spark advance that you want a base VE table and use the learn feature to help dial in the VE table until it is perfect. Very easy to do.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 PM
turbocvette
Instructor

Better news today. Looks like a cometic gasket will make this work.
the guys at finish line performance have been very helpful trying to figure this out. So the Build starts today!

Get notified of new replies

To What do you guys recommend for tuning 383 fi engine 94?

Old 10-04-2017, 08:08 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Tunercat has a $EE2B program that is designed to be used with a 2 bar MAP sensor. You can use this to tune fueling and spark for boost.

That being said the easiest way to do this is with an aftermarket computer like a Holley or FAST system. I suggest the Holley because it has transmission control already integrated into the computer so you can set the AFR and spark advance that you want a base VE table and use the learn feature to help dial in the VE table until it is perfect. Very easy to do.
I have Megasquirt on my 1,000 HP Firebird. I tune my '94 Vette with Tunercat/EE_hack. I wasn't aware of a 2bar $EE mask.. I've never seen mention of it. That is.. very interesting..

I like the Holley stuff too, but I don't wanna swap ECM's in the vette, unless something would also replace the CCM. I don't want to lose dash functionality.

Thanks for the info!

-- Joe
Old 10-04-2017, 10:43 AM
89L98TPI
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Megasquirt on my 1,000 HP Firebird. I tune my '94 Vette with Tunercat/EE_hack. I wasn't aware of a 2bar $EE mask.. I've never seen mention of it. That is.. very interesting..

I like the Holley stuff too, but I don't wanna swap ECM's in the vette, unless something would also replace the CCM. I don't want to lose dash functionality.

Thanks for the info!

-- Joe
I'm running Holley HP EFI on my 89 and lost no dash functions. I did lose MPH when I swapped a 4L80 in but installed Holley dash with GPS speedo
Old 10-04-2017, 10:58 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 89L98TPI
I'm running Holley HP EFI on my 89 and lost no dash functions. I did lose MPH when I swapped a 4L80 in but installed Holley dash with GPS speedo
It integrated with the dash gauges and the other functions like trip meter, odometer, range, etc? Or did you have to wire the gauges up all over?

Quick Reply: What do you guys recommend for tuning 383 fi engine 94?