C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lumina stalls

Old 10-28-2017, 01:51 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Lumina stalls

I know this is a Corvette forum. But, I have had a problem that has kept my Lumina off the road for two months. I am hoping someone has an idea that can help.
Hello, I own a 1998 Lumina. Car runs great, when it runs. Lately it has a stalling problem. The car will drive fine and then stall. There are NO CODES. It may restart and idle but it will not move. If I put it in gear it stalls immediately and will not restart.
My mechanic has changed the MAF, Alternator, Battery, Fuel pump and filter.
Does anybody have any clue what this is. If it sits it will start and idle without any problem. Last time it stalled it restarted and I had it idle for twenty minutes while waiting for a tow truck. When I put it in drive shut off and would not restart.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:21 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 433 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by jseremba
I know this is a Corvette forum. But, I have had a problem that has kept my Lumina off the road for two months. I am hoping someone has an idea that can help.
Hello, I own a 1998 Lumina. Car runs great, when it runs. Lately it has a stalling problem. The car will drive fine and then stall. There are NO CODES. It may restart and idle but it will not move. If I put it in gear it stalls immediately and will not restart.
My mechanic has changed the MAF, Alternator, Battery, Fuel pump and filter.
Does anybody have any clue what this is. If it sits it will start and idle without any problem. Last time it stalled it restarted and I had it idle for twenty minutes while waiting for a tow truck. When I put it in drive shut off and would not restart.
here is a quick search result, your problem seemed familiar.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t2668_ds614627
Old 10-28-2017, 05:19 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by s carter
here is a quick search result, your problem seemed familiar.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t2668_ds614627
This is a great thread I forwarded it my mechanic. Thank you so much.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Which engine is in it. When it won't start what is missing fuel , injector pulse, or spark?
Old 10-28-2017, 08:36 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kevova
Which engine is in it. When it won't start what is missing fuel , injector pulse, or spark?
It has the 3.1. Frankly I do not know what is missing. I frankly think that it is the transmission. but, no codes from the trans. It just will not fire up. The engine is like it has been shut off. It really sucks. Thank you all
Old 10-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Purely a guess crank sensor or chaffed jumper harness. It can fail with no codes. It's not easy to get to back side of block above pan rail. You need diagnose when it won't start. Ground wires are always a possibility. Transmission is electronic it should default to second.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:55 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts

There's a forum specifically for GM 60 degree V6 motors (60degreev6.com) which includes your 3100. May be worth your time to checkout.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:07 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmgtp
There's a forum specifically for GM 60 degree V6 motors (60degreev6.com) which includes your 3100. May be worth your time to checkout.
I want to thank everyone that responded to this thread. I sent the responses to my mechanic. He started looking for wires and stuff and discovered that the wiring harness to the Crankshaft position sensor was melted.
Thank you all

Get notified of new replies

To Lumina stalls

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lumina stalls