C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission fluid change on 1989 auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:21 PM
shayden69
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change on 1989 auto

Hello everyone. I have a 1989 vette with 60k miles. It is an automatic transmission, and it shifts very very well. The fluid is a slightly brown, and im not sure if the fluid has ever been changed. My question is should I change the fluid, and filter? Ive heard that changing the fluid can dislodge debris from the friction plates causing it to malfunction.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:34 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Change the fluid and filter. Get 6 qts, you'll use 5.5.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:39 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by shayden69
Hello everyone. I have a 1989 vette with 60k miles. It is an automatic transmission, and it shifts very very well. The fluid is a slightly brown, and im not sure if the fluid has ever been changed. My question is should I change the fluid, and filter? Ive heard that changing the fluid can dislodge debris from the friction plates causing it to malfunction.
(my 2-cents, FWIW) -- brown fluid - not a good sign. the fluid change causing (transmission) malfunction - ??? - most of it is urban legend and old wives' tale. try to find documented proof of fluid change causing a transmission failure. I think all you'll find a lot of on-line hearsay. seems, in most cases, when folks have transmission issues after a full fluid flush, there were already transmission problems. they change the fluid, the transmission goes bang - at fault, the fluid change - thus birth of the legend.

I service my 85's 700R4 with a fluid and filter every 36-50K miles, complete flush (and filter) at 100K miles. i'm at 161K on my original transmission - still has good firm shifts, and as I recall, as good as when I bought the car with 33K on the clock. i'd say my 700R4 is pretty healthy, and that's an early unit that's supposed to be somewhat problematic.

what concerns me, is you said the fluid is slightly brown. well "slightly" is somewhat subjective, and dependent on personal observation. have you had, or do know of, any transmission over-heating issues with the 89? 60K is not a lot of miles. since you say, the transmission shifts very, very well, well, that's a good sign. my opinion, and w/ Cjunkie - fluid and filter change - and keep a close eye on things - maybe a second fluid and filter in a year or two. one thing I might add is to go with an AC Delco service replacement filter kit. I've tried several different types, and they just don't seem to stack up to OE. you'll pay a couple dollars more, but you're dealing with a fairly expensive piece of hardware. IMO, a transmission is no place to save a buck. besides, delco filters are still made in the U.S.A. -

this is the standard delco service replacement - 82-93 700R4 transmission filter service kit (P/N 8657926). amazon or rockauto will give you the best pricing.

finally, stay away from dealers, or service centers that have these machines the "reverse flow suck" the fluid from the transmission without dropping the pan or changing the filter. this is one job, I recommend doing old school - drop the pan, fresh filter and gasket, torque hardware to spec, and add fluid to correct operating level.

good luck - hopefully everything is good.

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Change the fluid and filter. Get 6 qts, you'll use 5.5.
-

Last edited by Joe C; 10-01-2017 at 03:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Randy M (10-01-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

It is technically possible to wash some debris loose with the new fluid and stick the controls, but it usually isn't a problem if your transmission is healthy. Huge amounts of "plaque" aren't something you find in a transmission with 60k.

I would just change it, but some people siphon out a quart every week or so and replace it, thereby slowly effecting a fluid change, till they have clean fluid and then do the whole fluid and filter swap.

I think it'll be fine to just do the fluid and filter. It is an overblown concern.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:42 AM
shayden69
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses to everyone I greatly appreciate the help. I will most likely change the fluid and filter soon. And Joe C. sorry for not being specific enough about the color. When I say slightly brown I mean it still has transparent look to it. And honestly looks Like very light colored slightly pinkish motor oil. No chunks of any debris or bubbles on the dip stick. The last owner was an older gentleman who only put about 1I miles a year in it for 10 years.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:01 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Thanks for the responses to everyone I greatly appreciate the help. I will most likely change the fluid and filter soon. And Joe C. sorry for not being specific enough about the color. When I say slightly brown I mean it still has transparent look to it. And honestly looks Like very light colored slightly pinkish motor oil. No chunks of any debris or bubbles on the dip stick. The last owner was an older gentleman who only put about 1I miles a year in it for 10 years.
transparent, and pinkish - no bubbles - . I think you may be worrying over nothing. transmission service is all you need - filter and anywhere from 4-6 quarts of fresh fluid.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:07 AM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Just my $0.02 - but YES, change the fluid !!!!

There is really no good that will come from keeping old fluid in that the tranny. Yes, I have seen an online survey (on another marque) where a small percentage of the people reported trans failure after a fluid change - but it's quite possible that they already were seeing the upcoming signs of failure, and hoped a way overdue fluid change would "fix" the problem.

The only thing I don't like is that roughly half the trans fluid remains in the torque converter, and will not be removed when you drop the pan. For someone who is doing the fluid & filter change as PM, it's not that huge an issue, but if the fluid is older, or has that lovely burned smell, I don't like the idea that half the old fluid is still in there.
What I've been doing lately is this...

1) Do the conventional pan drop and filter change - add new fluid as appropriate.

2) I remove the line from the return fitting on the auto trans fluid cooler in the radiator. (If at all possible screw in a fitting with a hose barb, and use a couple of feet of hose to direct the fluid that will be coming out into a bucket or some container).

3) Have a friend Start the engine (leave in park or neutral), and let the fluid come out until you see the first hint of an air bubble, this will probably take 30 sec - 1 min or so. At the first sign of an air bubble - shut off the engine.

4) Refill the pan.

5) Repeat two or three times until the fluid coming out looks essentially new.

6) Refill the pan to the proper level, hook the cooler line back up, and go have a well earned adult beverage with your friend!

The reason this "works" better is that supposedly (at least from what I can see) - the fluid flow in an automatic trans is quite complicated, but the trans fluid cooler is essentially near the end of the line for the fluid - and it ends up returning to the pan pretty much after it's gone through the cooler. I've done this on several vehicles, and it seems to have worked pretty darn well.

I would be interested in opinions from others who have a significantly better understanding of the Auto Trannys than I.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:06 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

What fluid is everyone using these days? Are synthetic atf's better? The previous owner of my car had the fluid replaced with synthetic so I guess I'm stuck with that??
Old 10-01-2017, 03:04 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Its normal for the trans fluid to discolor over the years, the slight brown color is from general wear of the clutch plates.
Its NORMAL not a disaster dark brown or black is, light brown just shows some wear over the years.

Yes replace the filter and fluid and gasket
Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dt86
What fluid is everyone using these days? Are synthetic atf's better? The previous owner of my car had the fluid replaced with synthetic so I guess I'm stuck with that??
I get mine in bulk. Standard ATF, I just change it more frequently than most people.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:14 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

If you do this as a 2 man job, dump the fluid out of the pan and fill. Disconnect the return line and have the other person pour fluid into the trans as the car is running till the fluid comes out fresh. That should flush most of the system out. That or go to a flush station with a flush machine.

I wouldn't bother about the rumours you hear. Most of them probably center around the theme of someone neglecting the trans till it is too late, do a "hail mary" flush and when it failed, the flush caused it.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:10 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

A flush machine is much better.. That return line is actually the lube circuit, and you could potentially do damage to your trans. (It doesn't just go to sump.)

An actual flush machine has a bellows (or equivalent) in it, and as fluid is being discharged by the pump, fresh fluid is returning to the transmission and lubricating it, and it is doing it under the same pressure as the fluid leaving is under. Thereby not starving your transmission for lube.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:12 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

PS: If you add a drain plug you can change the fluid more frequently and get it all with relative ease at your convenience.

Change the filter the first time, but a healthy transmission shouldn't plug the filter and you can do regular fluid changes in a few minutes.. Saving the filter replacement for 30 or 40K intervals.

IMVHO.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:02 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Atm

Originally Posted by confab
PS: If you add a drain plug you can change the fluid more frequently and get it all with relative ease at your convenience.

Change the filter the first time, but a healthy transmission shouldn't plug the filter and you can do regular fluid changes in a few minutes.. Saving the filter replacement for 30 or 40K intervals.

IMVHO.
OMG - change the f..king fluid & filter !!!! Please why even ask !!!!
I recommend the AMSOIL Super Shift - you'll love the shifts and it will definitely extend your trans life !!! greg
Old 10-01-2017, 02:09 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
OMG - change the f..king fluid & filter !!!! Please why even ask !!!!
I recommend the AMSOIL Super Shift - you'll love the shifts and it will definitely extend your trans life !!! greg
Change the fluid. I use Amsoil Supershift also. Wot converter clutch lockups and tranny and converter live season after season.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:41 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Adding a drain plug also makes it easier and cleaner to change the F-ing filter, when the F-ing filter needs changed.

Last edited by confab; 10-01-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
Adding a drain plug also makes it easier and cleaner to change the F-ing filter, when the F-ing filter needs changed.

See this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l60-4l60e.html

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission fluid change on 1989 auto

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change on 1989 auto