C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 PM
Ron 520
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 throw out bearing

96 I have owned for 6 years 34K on car now always had whining noise that goes away when clutch is depressed slightly. Now when clutch is to floor makes loud noise. No slipping or chatter would just replacing throw out bearing be a good idea anyone ever have this problem
Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I didn't have that problem....I had many other problems and had to replace the flywheel/disk/pressure plate/throwout bearing/pilot bearing and transmission,.

I would take a look at the other components when you have it apart. At 34K it could still be very good shape for the flywheel/disk/pressure plate. Unfortunately the throwout bearing is fixed into the pressure plate and you need to remove the pressure plate to change it. So take a look at the other components while it is apart.

The original INA throwout bearings are about the best, so it is a little strange that yours failed so quickly at 34k. The original INA bearings are hard to come by, but you might check with Jim at PowerTorque systems. He used to have a few NOS ones (but they might be gone by now).

Good luck.

EDIT:
I just noticed this is your 1st post.

Welcome to the forum.

We also like to see pictures. So show us your car and tell us about it. (I also have a '96 LT4 6M)

Last edited by QCVette; 02-14-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 AM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Throw out bearing

Originally Posted by QCVette
I didn't have that problem....I had many other problems and had to replace the flywheel/disk/pressure plate/throwout bearing/pilot bearing and transmission,.

I would take a look at the other components when you have it apart. At 34K it could still be very good shape for the flywheel/disk/pressure plate. Unfortunately the throwout bearing is fixed into the pressure plate and you need to remove the pressure plate to change it. So take a look at the other components while it is apart.

The original INA throwout bearings are about the best, so it is a little strange that yours failed so quickly at 34k. The original INA bearings are hard to come by, but you might check with Jim at PowerTorque systems. He used to have a few NOS ones (but they might be gone by now).

Good luck.

EDIT:
I just noticed this is your 1st post.

Welcome to the forum.

We also like to see pictures. So show us your car and tell us about it. (I also have a '96 LT4 6M)
Jim has sold all his oem stock of bearings.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:42 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I agree with everything QCVette said about the INA bearing, but it will be very difficult to find one now, and very expensive if you do. I probably got one of the last ones Jim had. Of course, Ron has only had his car 6 years. There's no guarantee the original bearing is still in there. Another thing to check is to make sure the pivot pedestal for the fork is actually screwed all the way into the bellhousing. If anyone ever took this apart and reassembled it without blue Loctite on the threads (and/or broke off or left off the the locking screw that goes in the back of the pivot), then it may be backing out and causing some kind of interference.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 throw out bearing

Quick Reply: 1996 throw out bearing