C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ignition Cylinder Jammed - Stuck on Run for Almost 60 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:15 PM
KRG'S 85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Cylinder Jammed - Stuck on Run for Almost 60 Minutes

So this is what happened- was running errands and I put the key into the ignition cylinder to start the car. Turn the key all the way to the "start" position and nothing happens, no solenoid click, nothing. I try again to turn the key to the start position, nothing happens, but this time I cannot return the key to the off position. The ignition cylinder is stuck in the Run position, with the dash all lit up. Play with the steering wheel, tilt and telescopic functions, move the transmission to neutral then park, nothing. The mechanical problem looks to be that the ignition cylinder is broken, I can manipulate it a little in and out of the steering column. I call AAA to get the car back to the house. I didn't have a 5/16 box wrench to disconnect the battery. I had to wait for the truck to arrive to grab a pair of pliers to disconnect the negative cable.

The potential problem I am fearing is this- all the while the ignition is in the run position-almost an hour. Could there have been any damage done to the ECM, ignition system, or electronics.

My Vette is an '85, completely stock. Thanks for your attention and any insight you can provide.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:38 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I wouldn't worry. I mean, the pump doesn't keep pumping if the engine doesn't turn over and the rest of the system is in run mode when the car is running. Your battery might be drained so I would change it up overnight.
The following users liked this post:
KRG'S 85 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

There should be no damage to the electronics provided negative cable was disconnected. With the key since turning key nothing then let would not go to lock to be removed. Problem could be with "rack and rod" for ignition switch. Service is a little more than replacing cylinder. When cylinder is removed, the shaft should rotate to to all positions. If not rack should be inspected.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:50 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Well, you'll find out after you replace the ignition switch, and us giving our opinions on whether it was damaged it will not change anything. Good luck, and you should be fine.

Last edited by rocco16; 10-04-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Cylinder Jammed - Stuck on Run for Almost 60 Minutes

Quick Reply: Ignition Cylinder Jammed - Stuck on Run for Almost 60 Minutes