C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 coupe rear hatch - weather stripping Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 94 coupe rear hatch - weather stripping Install

This is mainly a fyi post....

I just replaced the weatherstripping on my rear hatch (94 Coupe).

1. I removed all the trim around the hatch and loosened the ceiling pieces.
2. Careful on the side pieces in the rear section. You have to remove the interior side light cover and light assembly in order to remove a screw. I was very careful popping out both pieces and there is a utube video showing how someone else did it. If doing this in cold weather, I imagine the plastic could break easily. Apparently, a previous owner was not careful and my driver side trim piece was already broken off where the screw went into it as well as cracked in another location. I was able to purchase a new piece from GM Direct for about $75.
3. The old weather stripping basically fell out. It was barely attached.
4. However, there was another molded trim piece that covered the lip of the hatch. This puzzled me for a few minutes while inspecting my replacement piece because it was obvious that the replacement piece that would not fit over that molded piece.

Sidenote: I bought my replacement weatherstripping from Wilcox and it came as one piece. It took a few minutes to figure it out; but after removing the molded trim piece, I understood that Wilcox just combined the weatherstripping with the molded piece as one unit. At least I hope that is what they did.... :-) because it went on that way!

5. Anyway, I removed the molded piece from around the lip and the lip was covered with a mustard colored yellow goop. I wiped it off with paper towels, than a mild cleaner, and eventually had to use mineral spirits (did not like doing that) to get it all off. I then wiped off all residue with alcohol.

6. The new piece went on nicely and fit well. It actually was easier than I expected. Removing the hatch shocks to get the new weatherstripping on was straight forward and there are utube videos on that as well.

7. When closing the hatch, I did notice that the rubber in the corners wanted to bulge out. So, I gently pushed them in on both sides while closing the final 10 or 15 degrees. I will probably continue to watch that so that the corner of the hatch does not tear the new material.

Anyway, that was my Corvette adventure for today.

kc

Last edited by K.C.E.; 10-06-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:07 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

A couple or three comments.
The "molding" you removed was of part of the original weatherstrip, it detaches from the rubber at some point in it's life.
The yellow goop is actually grease that allows the weatherstrip to "float" all the channel.
​​​​​​​Many put dielectric grease on the corners to help the hatch glass slide over the rubber and prevent tearing it.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:53 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good comments. Thx
Willcox also responded to me and explained the first two and recommended leaving the yellow goop in place. Unfortunately, I had already installed it. I guess I could easily go back and redo.

What exactly is the yellow goop?

Good idea about the dielectric grease
Old 10-07-2017, 07:57 AM
357L98
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have always wondered what would happen if the goo was removed and a new weatherstrip installed. I thought of cleaning it off my car, but it looked like a lot of trouble and left it on.

Get notified of new replies

To 94 coupe rear hatch - weather stripping Install

Quick Reply: 94 coupe rear hatch - weather stripping Install