C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Crossfire stalls on hard cornering

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 11:35 PM
lucidardor
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1984 Crossfire stalls on hard cornering

Ok, so I've browsed the forums and can't find anyone threads about this... my car mostly runs great. But on very hard corners when applying a lot of throttle, the engine will sputter and stall - especially if the rear end slides. Does anyone else experience this issue?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by lucidardor
when applying a lot of throttle, the engine will sputter and stall - especially if the rear end slides.
You may have a fuel pressure issue. You need to check yourpressure.

84's are notorious for having fuel pressure issue issues. Most people upgrade to the 85-89 fuel pump. Bolts in quick and easy.
The following users liked this post:
lucidardor (10-07-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Does it do it when the tank is OVER 1/2 full?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:51 PM
lucidardor
Advanced

It's only done it a few times, and I'm unsure how much gas was in the tank. But I do know that I gassed up at 7-Eleven a few weeks back, and it sputtered on acceleration until I put different gas in it - it was definitely bad gas.

But I'll look into that. Will the system throw a code if the fuel pressure is low? How about changing the fuel filter?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Will the system throw a code if the fuel pressure is low? How about changing the fuel filter?
*No

*That is basic maintenance...should have already been done.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:42 PM
lucidardor
Advanced

The key word there is "should!" It's probably never been changed - 70,000 miles on the odometer. But if I'm going through the hassle of taking it all apart for the filter, I'd might as well replace the pump with one for an '85 while I'm at it.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

The key word there is "should!" It's probably never been changed - 70,000 miles on the odometer. But if I'm going through the hassle of taking it all apart for the filter, I'd might as well replace the pump with one for an '85 while I'm at it.
It's your money. I'd change the filter, then test w/a drive and a pressure gauge. Changing a working pump would get my goat.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 PM
lucidardor
Advanced

Here's an update. Changed the filter & pump. The car idles stronger and has faster throttle response, but otherwise still stalls under hard cornering. It doesn't matter if the tank is empty or full. Does it on a full tank as well. Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? It can't be normal for a crossfire engine, can it?

Last edited by lucidardor; 10-15-2017 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:15 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It can't be normal for a crossfire engine, can it?
Definitely not normal. I can keep up with the big boys in the corners with my '84! You'd better have your seat belt tight, because this thing pulls big G's! (The straights are a different story.)

Old 10-15-2017, 03:03 AM
lucidardor
Advanced

I'll keep troubleshooting then. Maybe I'll check the fuel pressure regulator next. Let you know if I find and fix the problem.
The following users liked this post:
knikula (11-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 06:17 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

I'll keep troubleshooting then. Maybe I'll check the fuel pressure regulator next. Let you know if I find and fix the problem.
put a fuel pressure gauge on it.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM
lucidardor
Advanced

Solved.

After checking fuel pressure and troubleshooting the fuel system, I suspected the problem was either spark-related or possibly related to the power steering pump.

So, I started at the ignition system and changed the spark plugs. Problem solved. Unsure why that caused stalling only when hard cornering, but that was the solution. I think it still had the original spark plugs from the factory.

I would suggest that anyone else experiencing this same issue start by checking the ignition system, then move onto fuel - that would have saved me a lot of time. But my fuel filter was the original and needed replaced anyway, and now I know the pump is good, because it's new. So it wasn't entirely wasted time.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:17 PM
lucidardor
Advanced

The filter I'm referring to is under the passenger side of the car.

I replaced the strainer in the tank when I did the fuel pump.

But the problem wasn't fuel-related at all. The new spark plugs completely resolved my problem. I'm guessing the spark was weak, and the extra friction from the tires while cornering was enough to stall the engine.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

if I'm going through the hassle of taking it all apart for the filter, I'd might as well replace the pump.
Changed the filter & pump. The car idles stronger and has faster throttle response, but otherwise still stalls under hard cornering.
My fuel filter was the original and needed replaced anyway, and now I know the pump is good, because it's new.
Your words confuse me. It sounds like you're talking about the filter "sock" in the fuel tank. Did you also replace the filter that's mounted under the car, behind the RF wheel, or just the filter in the fuel tank?

(There are also micro-filters inside the fuel injectors, but those are not likely to be your problem.)

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Crossfire stalls on hard cornering

Quick Reply: 1984 Crossfire stalls on hard cornering