C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weather stripping - A pillar - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:29 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weather stripping - A pillar - Help

I have a '94 coupe and getting ready to replace the weather stripping on the A-pillar. I already purchased the material, now I just need to install.

Last year I found some threads/photos somewhere on this topic but cannot find them anywhere now. I thought it was on the Forum, but now I am thinking it may have been somewhere else.

Can anybody direct me to past threads or utube video's on this?

Thx.

I just did the rear hatch and wish I had put out a similar question!

kc
Old 10-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 788 Likes on 565 Posts

wilcox has video on the install. Dan
Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Old 10-07-2017, 12:48 PM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whaleman
wilcox has video on the install. Dan

That is where I looked first and could not find it for the A-pillar; only the B-Pillar and back hatch. Guess I did not look hard enough......

thx; I will go back and look.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by K.C.E.
That is where I looked first and could not find it for the A-pillar; only the B-Pillar and back hatch. Guess I did not look hard enough......

thx; I will go back and look.
I looked and could not find it either. I assumed they had it. Sorry. Dan
Old 10-10-2017, 10:34 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default A-Pillar weatherstrip 93 C4

I just replaced my weatherstrip a few weeks ago. I scraped the adhesive out of all the channels, and saved the plastic 'pins' that help to hold the weatherstrip in place. I test fitted the new weatherstrip, starting at each top corner and tucking it in. It fit so well that I didn't see the need to remove it and reinstall with adhesive. I've driven with the top up and top down, and it's staying in place nicely. So use the adhesive if you like, but it's been fine for me with no adhesive at all!! YMMV, of course!
Good luck!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:20 AM
hilflos
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by helphos
I just replaced my weatherstrip a few weeks ago. I scraped the adhesive out of all the channels, and saved the plastic 'pins' that help to hold the weatherstrip in place. I test fitted the new weatherstrip, starting at each top corner and tucking it in.

Did the entire passenger compartment about six weeks ago, and had pretty much the same experience. I did pull it back off to add weatherstripping adhesive though.

Since then I've adjusted the windows, and the top, the top still needs a bit more tweaking, but in light rain, the car's weatherproof again, and quiet like it never has been before, when the windows are up.

Getting the channels clean was the only chore. Thirty year old weatherstripping either came out really easily, or was stuck on like a limpet. Those few area that were hard to get off ultimately wound up just an exercise in being patient, and scraping.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 PM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Originally Posted by hilflos
Did the entire passenger compartment about six weeks ago, and had pretty much the same experience. I did pull it back off to add weatherstripping adhesive though.

Since then I've adjusted the windows, and the top, the top still needs a bit more tweaking, but in light rain, the car's weatherproof again, and quiet like it never has been before, when the windows are up.

Getting the channels clean was the only chore. Thirty year old weatherstripping either came out really easily, or was stuck on like a limpet. Those few area that were hard to get off ultimately wound up just an exercise in being patient, and scraping.
Do you have any references or old posts that describe how to adjust the windows and top?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:28 PM
hilflos
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K.C.E.
Do you have any references or old posts that describe how to adjust the windows and top?

Top;
This is pretty much the go to for that, as far as I'm aware;
http://www.melrosecorvette.com/c4-co...-installation/

The rear mounting points can be adjusted also. That's really just a matter of removing the b-pillar halo trim to get at them. It's pretty straightforward, at least on the early C4's. Mine's an '87. I can't speak to the later ones. My time with one has been limited to mine.

I found this video useful also;

Windows;

That was pretty much the basis of it. There's a bunch of videos on how to remove the door panels.

Last edited by hilflos; 10-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:19 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Good stuff....thx....

The small black plastic tabs on the sides (top and bottom) that I popped out to start the job. There are two different sizes. It appears that most people reuse those tabs when re-installing the new weather stripping. I would prefer to purchase new ones. Who sells these tabs?

I am somewhat disappointed that new tabs did not come with the new weatherstripping.

Last edited by K.C.E.; 10-14-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Weather stripping - A pillar - Help

Quick Reply: Weather stripping - A pillar - Help