C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Remove Carrier from Differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:36 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remove Carrier from Differential

Hey guys, I though that removing the batwing/differential from my '91 would be nearly impossible after reading about other members' experiences the last couple of years. Fortunately, it was a piece of cake... 20 minutes and it was sitting on the floor! (Strangely snuggling, neither of the batwing bushings was even touching both sides of the mounting tabs!) So, now I have to disassemble it to change gear sets and replace worn oil seals. My question is can the carrier be removed without a case spreader? I've read both Yes and No right here on the Forum.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Yes, easier to remove with,along with setting up afterwards. It's going to be awkward without a fixture to hold housing.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes but you need a big pry bar.I have a large vise on a freestanding base that I put the diff in.Sometimes I use a piece of 2x4 to rest the Pry bar on or hammer on.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:53 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reply to Remove Carrier from Differential thread

Folks, I am in luck! When I undid the wheel bearing assembies, I had a couple of friends at a local machine shop make a slotted jig for me that will adjust to virtually any axle yolk used by Chevy since the Mid-Years were produced. Bolt the jig on to the input yolk and mount the 90-degree tab welded to it in a H-D vise, and now the back side of the differential Is facing the ceiling and everything's perfectly accessible. So, my original question is still how do I remove the carrier.

I tried using Reply to write this note but was unable to do it. What's up with that?
Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 AM
odxr
Racer

To pull the stub axles there are snap rings.You need some right angle snap ring pliers.The snap rings are select fit so put them back in the same side.After that pull the bearing cap bolts and the caps.I usually punch some dots in the caps-they have to go back on the same way.Then get the big pry bar and catch some ring gear bolt heads.You might need 2 pry bars.I just did a complete rebuild on a d44 a month ago with new clutches and 3.73 gears.If some shims come out make sure they go back in the same places.Diff service is heavy work.

Last edited by odxr; 10-19-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:03 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

are you talking about taking the differential off of the batwing? I don't recall any problems other than smacking the batwing a couple of times with a rubber mallet.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:08 PM
odxr
Racer

The bat wing is just the cover.I thought you were talking about rolling the diff carrier out of diff assembly.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:55 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SnorT91Man
Folks, I am in luck! When I undid the wheel bearing assembies, I had a couple of friends at a local machine shop make a slotted jig for me that will adjust to virtually any axle yolk used by Chevy since the Mid-Years were produced.
Pic please.

Get notified of new replies

To Remove Carrier from Differential

Quick Reply: Remove Carrier from Differential