C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help, 1985 averaging 5 miles per gallon

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:38 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Ian.g
What don't you understand? .......You've been doing this how long and you don't understand its not going to be exactly on the average all the time?......what do you care what red flags come up?....... It's none of your business............ You don't like my description, then go play village elder someplace else.......... I didn't come to you to ask for your help..... Get off my thread.
Ouch!

Forget your MPG problem, here is the best (free)advice I can give you if you ever want anyone to ever help you:

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 10-11-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well bill, when someone tells you "your data is junk" or whatever his exact words were, that doesn't really start things off on the right foot. He pretty much called me an idiot or a liar. So how do you expect me to respond?

But at any rate the gas mileage problem is was already fixed, I just didn't know it. Put an O2 sensor this afternoon. Just drove it home, and cluster registers the gas mileage right where I would expect, on the instant display it went up to 25.

​​​​​​
Old 10-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

Well bill, when someone tells you "your data is junk" or whatever his exact words were, that doesn't really start things off on the right foot. He pretty much called me an idiot or a liar. So how do you expect me to respond?

But at any rate the gas mileage problem is was already fixed, I just didn't know it. Put an O2 sensor this afternoon. Just drove it home, and cluster registers the gas mileage right where I would expect, on the instant display it went up to 25.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:14 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Just drove it home, and cluster registers the gas mileage right where I would expect, on the instant display it went up to 25.
Good for you!
Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Glad you got the problem (apparently) sorted out. FWIW, to get 5mpg w/o extreme (idling) conditions, you'd have to be burning 2-3 times more fuel than normal. I would suggest you'd see black smoke and have other symptoms (that I didn't see reported). When my O2 sensor recently went south, I did get worse mileage but it also wouldn't idle correctly. Plus, I received a code...though it took awhile.

People were correct in telling you your method for determining mileage isn't reliable...and could return erratic results. You got upset and failed to realize all feedback was indented to help. You just didn't want to hear part of it and (maybe) weren't interested in spending a bit of money on gas to get a better reading.

How often do you participate in a thread where your input helps more than gains? Sometimes it's hard to realize the challenges of armchair diagnosis! Think about it.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Don't have to "stick the tank". Pump at the station showed 6.5 gallons, I drove it tI'll the reserve light came on then I put the car on a lift and ran it until it shut off.
Is this for real? Did you read what I wrote earlier about the Reserve light? What others agreed with me, about he reserve light?

I doubt the gauge is off because the cluster is new and the sender is new. The car runs out of gas at empty and reads full when the gas pump cuts off.
You're probably right. I'm sure the gauge is spot on. Keep doing what you've been doing...see if you get better results!

It's none of your business. You don't like my description, then go play village elder someplace else. I didn't come to you to ask for your help, Get off my thread.
Uh Oh...this nooB isn't going to do very well here.
You realize that you made it others' business when you came here asked for help...right?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

He pretty much called me an idiot or a liar.
I called you no such thing. Nor anything close to that. If I did, please quote where I did that so I can go back and correct it.

"You're data is junk" is neither name calling, nor insulting. It's just a result of:
*how you acquired it,
*how your reported it to us
*the pretty rudimentary measuring devices (the stock sending unit, new or not)
*some bad math

But at any rate the gas mileage problem is was already fixed,
Super. Well done.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-11-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 AM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

You're missing the point. What does it matter how far off normal the gas milage is? Or how accurate the method of measuring it is? All that matters is that its off. There can only be so many causes. I don't think how bad it is narows it down at all.
​​​
Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 AM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

I asked for help, but I didn't specifically ask for your help. In fact you were so rude i turned you down. And for your information a car CAN run rich with almost no smoke from the exhaust at all. Had an audi this earlier week #9 injector stuck open, it did have idling problems bit only a tiny bit of white smoke from the exhaust. That was with one injector permanently open.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

You're totally right! It's obvious that you've got it all figured out. I'm surprised you bothered posting on here, when clearly, you didn't need any help at all.
The following users liked this post:
whalepirot (10-16-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 AM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

What does what I wrote have to do with the reserve? Reread it. I put the car on a lift and ran it until to shut off. As in empty, out of gas.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Don't worry about it. Car's fixed right? Go drive the wee out of it and enjoy.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

Didn't say that, I asked for help bc I needed it. I just took a lucky guess. Could have been the ecu or wires or whatever else.

I expected a different response. That was a shitty approach. You think I'm new to this that's all the more reason to be welcoming and kind. You've been on this forum for almost 15 years, I'm surprised.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Glad you got it working right again.

...I expected a different response......
What response did you expect?

It seems like you wanted people to say something you expected, but they needed more information before they could help you diagnose the problem.

To me it seems like everyone responding was trying to help you.

And by the way, Welcome to the forum.

We all like pictures too. Show us your car and tell us about it. I used to have an '85 4+3 for about 25 years and loved it.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

I expected a polite response.

How is that relevant information? Does the diagnosis depend on the exact gas mileage? No. It's either out of its range or not. How badly doesn't matter. That was to verify the problem not diagnose it.

sure it wasn't the route I was looking for but that's fine. What I didn't like was this ******* was rude to me about it.

sure I'll take some pictures of it.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:37 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Didn't say that, I asked for help bc I needed it. I just took a lucky guess. Could have been the ecu or wires or whatever else.

I expected a different response. That was a shitty approach. You think I'm new to this that's all the more reason to be welcoming and kind. You've been on this forum for almost 15 years, I'm surprised.
Tom has helped hundreds of members on this forum. Chill out and drive the car. No one owes you anything.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

Look, I don't care who he helped and I didn't say anyone owed me anything. He was a dick to me and I didn't like it. End of story.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, 1985 averaging 5 miles per gallon

Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Hmmm. Let's just have a look at the progression of this thread;
He pretty much called me an idiot or a liar. ​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I called you no such thing. Nor anything close to that. If I did, please quote where I did that so I can go back and correct it.
I was never disparaging to you at all. All I was looking for was good information so that we could better assist you. Help us, help you.

You're 1 day old here, but choose to coach me on my techniques? Apparently you're the "master"?
You've been on this forum for almost 15 years, I'm surprised.

...so you'll show my "how it's done", by example...
this ******* was rude to me about it.
Look, I don't care. He was a dick to me and I didn't like it.
So who is REALLY doing the name calling and insulting here? Up to post number 12 on this forum...I'm not too impressed.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-12-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:06 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Look, I don't care who he helped and I didn't say anyone owed me anything. He was a dick to me and I didn't like it. End of story.
After reading all your ignorant posts I don't think you will have to worry about gettting much help from Tom or anyone else in the future...Go drive your car. End of story.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-12-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Ian.g
Heel & Toe

Sure, you seem to need the coaching. I knew not to start off with people like that when I was 10 years old. But you were rude so I'll be rude too.

there's more than 1 way to say something to someone. That approach was poor.

Quick Reply: Help, 1985 averaging 5 miles per gallon