C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

White smoke back of intake manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:40 PM
mase5701
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke back of intake manifold.

After driving about a mile I noticed a good amount ofwhite smoke coming out from behind the intake manifold on the passenger side, maybe from he heads I couldn't tell.....and There were a couple drops of oil on top of the intake manifold right around the PCV valve (which very easily pulls out, not sure if that has a bad seal? If there's a vacuum leak here I don't understand why that would cause the smoke......)

Anyway I shut her down right away, and the next day went to start her up to investigate further, and no smoke she ran totally fine.

Is this a possibly failing manifold gasket which creates an intermittent problem? Or maybe just *** hole work done with the aftermarket heads the car has? (Bought a modified C4 was probably a mistake being my first one)

Any guidance would be aprreciated on where to go next in terms of diagnosing..

Thanks yall

Last edited by mase5701; 10-10-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:41 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

White smoke is indicative of coolant/water. If it does it again, pay attention to the smell. Assuming you're not running pure water, it will smell like antifreeze.

In the mean time, check your coolant level. See if it's low. Head gasket leaks (or manifold leaks) can be intermittent depending on things like the difference in heat/expansion times of the iron/steel block vs the aluminum on top of it. Also, the load on the engine can cause more rapid/slow heating up of the two dissimilar metals.

Leaks get worse with time and will become more self-evident. Pressure testing the coolant system make reveal the problem. You can also look for evidence of coolant in the oil.

Sounds like you've had head work recently?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:19 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by mase5701
Any guidance would be appreciated on where to go next in terms of diagnosing..

Thanks yall
Mase, since you have not included much information in your profile, it would be helpful to let us know what year and or engine you're dealing with. L98, LT1 or 4, and any obvious modifications that could have contributed to the problem, would probably get you more meaningful responses.

Folks here do try to help, but sometimes if little information is provided, they'll skip responding until more information appears. Unfortunately that just delays you getting the help you're looking for.

Good luck, and welcome to the Corvette Forum,

GUSTO
Old 10-11-2017, 01:32 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Drive it around until the smoke appears. Instead of shutting it down, look and try to isolate the source. It's hard to diagnose the problem over with a keyboard. Source of smoke will be oil, water or exhaust.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

There are UV dye kits you can buy to confirm what fluid is leaking and from where.

Get notified of new replies

To White smoke back of intake manifold.

Quick Reply: White smoke back of intake manifold.