C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Weird starting issue

Old 10-11-2017, 08:38 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird starting issue

My car never starts on the first crank over. Turn it over twice and it starts right away. the first time around seems like I can crank it over for ever. Runs great after it starts. What is it? Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:47 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Are any of the "indicator gauges" lighting up as you crank? Leave all of your gauge switches in the off/neutral position and watch the dash as you start it. If there is an issue with battery voltage being low, for example, the battery gauge will automatically come on and show you the voltage with a little red indicator next to it. Or if the oil pressure is low the oil pressure gauge will automatically come on with the readout, and a red light next to it.

My car usually starts like lightning as soon as I turn the key but sometimes it'll crank. I think I've determined it's the fuel pump relay in my car. It seems to get loose and when I refasten it, car starts like lightning again. See this YT video.

Otherwise it could be starter going bad..?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:25 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 522 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliC4
My car never starts on the first crank over. Turn it over twice and it starts right away. the first time around seems like I can crank it over for ever. Runs great after it starts. What is it? Any ideas?
How fast are you hitting the starter once you turn the key on? When you turn the key on the fuel pump runs for a few seconds to pressurize the fuel system. If you turn the key on and immediately go to start, there may not be enough fuel pressure yet to start. By the time you kit the key a second time then it could have the required pressure.

Just a thought.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
How fast are you hitting the starter once you turn the key on? When you turn the key on the fuel pump runs for a few seconds to pressurize the fuel system. If you turn the key on and immediately go to start, there may not be enough fuel pressure yet to start. By the time you kit the key a second time then it could have the required pressure.

Just a thought.
Which also implies the system isn't holding pressure when car hasn't been started for a couple hours like overnight.

First question, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Last edited by bac22; 10-12-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:02 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmm, good point. I always let my car sit in "accessory" mode for a second while I hear the fuel pump buzzing, then I turn the key fully to start it.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:17 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Default Use the "run" mode!

When starting a C4 Corvette I do the following:
1-Insert key
2-Turn key to "Run" Position and wait a few seconds
3-Then crank the engine up with the "Start" Mode
4-Put on seat belt
5-Put it in "Drive" and enjoy the heck out of it!

If you don't hear the fuel pump running then you have trouble! I wear hearing aids and even I can hear the pump running without them.

My car had issues with starting where it required longer cranking times. After checking I found the fuel pressure was lower than the requirement mentioned in the FSM. The car lost all pressure in the fuel system in less than 10-15 minutes. It would start but after two or three cranking attempts but ran roughly.

It turned out that I had an injector that was leaking and the fuel pump was tired. After eight new injectors, a new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter the car was much happier and rewarded me with easy starting once again.

Now when I drive the car and park it overnight it maintains some pressure in the system.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph

Just a thought.
I don't follow. The system primes for a second or two and gets to pressure instantly, at least on mine, it does. I see my gauge jump up to spec BEFORE the prime is even done.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor
Hmm, good point. I always let my car sit in "accessory" mode for a second while I hear the fuel pump buzzing, then I turn the key fully to start it.
I suggest you put a gauge and see what exactly happens. If it is at all like mine, the prime starts and the gauge hits max pressure per the regulator and an long wait till the prime function stops. A lot of old timers think they have to wait for the prime to end. My folks even think the AC should be shut down before the engine is and you run the car for a warm up before you turn the AC on.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:55 AM
L.V. Vette
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I suggest you put a gauge and see what exactly happens. If it is at all like mine, the prime starts and the gauge hits max pressure per the regulator and an long wait till the prime function stops. A lot of old timers think they have to wait for the prime to end. My folks even think the AC should be shut down before the engine is and you run the car for a warm up before you turn the AC on.
Agreed, need to put a fuel gauge on and check pressure. Though it may be something else, it sounds like a fuel pressure issue. That's where I would start

Get notified of new replies

To Weird starting issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird starting issue