C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dead Battery or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 PM
alprzy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dead Battery or worse?

Asked my kid to put trickle charger on my battery in 92 Coupe.
Earlier, there was dash and gauge lights but not enough juice to turn it over.
When I looked next morning he had put both clamps on battery terminals, not negative clamp to a ground.

Charger was saying fully charged and in maintaining mode, but car is now dead, no dash or gauge lights at all.
Is my battery done? Or would that hookup kill something else?

Any Help is appreciated.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:28 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by alprzy
Asked my kid to put trickle charger on my battery in 92 Coupe.
You can always try and put the cables on the correct posts and see what happens. My guess that your battery is just drained. Give it a shot the "correct way" and see what happens. If your battery is toast, you'll need to get another.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:50 PM
alprzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
You can always try and put the cables on the correct posts and see what happens. My guess that your battery is just drained. Give it a shot the "correct way" and see what happens. If your battery is toast, you'll need to get another.
yeah I will try it tonight. Was miffed that the digital readout on the charger was saying fully charged but the car is dead. Was worried that something may have fried by having the charger connected incorrectly.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:13 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Asked my kid to put trickle charger on my battery in 92 Coupe. When I looked next morning he had put both clamps on battery terminals, not negative clamp to a ground.
You didn't say the positive and negative cables from the charger were connected backwards, so I'm presuming that the positive cable was connected to the positive battery terminal, and the negative cable was connected to the negative battery terminal. Is that true?

Your comment about the "negative clamp to a ground" makes no difference! The negative cable can be connected to either the negative terminal or to ground. Same . . . same.

You must have some degree of confidence in your son to have him do this without your supervision!

You may just have a dirty or loose connection of your battery cables to your battery! Or the trickle charger clamps are poor, so you didn't get a charge at all.

The old story about connecting the negative cable to ground relates to "jump starting" an engine from another car, not for connecting a trickle charger.

The following users liked this post:
alprzy (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The old story about connecting the negative cable to ground relates to "jump starting" an engine from another car, not for connecting a trickle charger.

Sounds like he did exactly what he should have done with a trickle charger. Sounds like you battery is DOA, a bad battery can appear full to a trickle charger. How old is your battery?

Last edited by bac22; 10-12-2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Put a new battery in and be done with it.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM
alprzy
Advanced

You didn't say the positive and negative cables from the charger were connected backwards, so I'm presuming that the positive cable was connected to the positive battery terminal, and the negative cable was connected to the negative battery terminal. Is that true?

Your comment about the "negative clamp to a ground" makes no difference! The negative cable can be connected to either the negative terminal or to ground. Same . . . same.

You must have some degree of confidence in your son to have him do this without your supervision!

You may just have a dirty or loose connection of your battery cables to your battery! Or the trickle charger clamps are poor, so you didn't get a charge at all.

Ha ha - thanks. The kid is 30 so there is still some degree of confidence..
Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM
alprzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Put a new battery in and be done with it.
Yeah, I'm there.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:50 AM
alprzy
Advanced

Originally Posted by bac22

Sounds like he did exactly what he should have done with a trickle charger. Sounds like you battery is DOA, a bad battery can appear full to a trickle charger. How old is your battery?
Battery is about 3 years old, so I'm just gonna replace it and start fresh. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:10 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

When I looked next morning he had put both clamps on battery terminals, not negative clamp to a ground.

I agree that you probably need a new battery. Unsure what you meant by "both clamps on battery terminals".
Old 10-12-2017, 05:04 PM
alprzy
Advanced

OK so I put a new battery in. Car starts fine.

Now the dash gauges, parking and tail lights flicker and get a clicking sound while car is running. It goes on and off about every 20 seconds. Courtesy lights wont go off when I shut the car off and take key out, the front and rear lights flicker on and off along with the bell sound you would get when you leave your lights on for about a minute. And if I then then try to open the car door, the bells come back on and the front and rear lights come on and flicker for about 10 seconds before stopping. What's going on?

I took out courtesy light fuse just to stop the inside lights from staying on.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:07 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I may be wrong as usual but might be time to check grounds
Old 10-13-2017, 06:43 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

OK so I put a new battery in. Car starts fine.

Now the dash gauges, parking and tail lights flicker and get a clicking sound while car is running. It goes on and off about every 20 seconds. Courtesy lights wont go off when I shut the car off and take key out, the front and rear lights flicker on and off along with the bell sound you would get when you leave your lights on for about a minute. And if I then then try to open the car door, the bells come back on and the front and rear lights come on and flicker for about 10 seconds before stopping. What's going on?

I took out courtesy light fuse just to stop the inside lights from staying on.
Unless you bought a crappy battery (referring to prior 3yr old one), it shouldn't have died that soon and now that you've got these symptoms I'm thinking you've got a short somewhere or you've got CCM that is on the fritz.

Good way to test for a short, vette pulls about 30mA when parked and nothing on. That will obviously get skewed with the courtesy lights on, but you should start here along with checking grounds.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

This YouTube video procedure may be okay for a simple car, but our Corvette's are far from simple! When you disconnect your battery then install your amp meter (DVM or VOM, etc.) like the vid shows, all of the computers in the car come alive and your interior lights will come on, so you'll have an initial high current situation. You'll see this if you begin like the vid shows, on the Hi Amp scale, but this is NORMAL!

If you start with a Lo Amp scale, in an attempt to check the current drain after the computers and lights "go to sleep", you'll probably blow the internal fuse in your DVM because of the initial Hi current drain! What to do??

After you disconnect the battery, put a short jumper wire between the battery cable and the battery post. This will activate all of the computers and stuff. Then, with the jumper wire still in place, connect your DVM to the battery cable and the battery post. After you're sure the interior lights are off, disconnect the jumper wire. You'll now read the accurate residual current drain for the system. This should be less than 50 mA.

The residual current drain in my '84 is 13 mA.

alprzy (10-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Hot Rod Roy is absolutely correct !!! I've measured about 20mA on my LT4 as the steady state draw. It typically takes about 5 minutes or so for the computers to go back to sleep after you hook up the meter.

Higher current draw than that could be caused by any number of things - but I can tell you that a failed door switch will certainly cause a significantly higher drain, and it would explain the symptoms you are experiencing. I can also tell you that disconnecting the connector to said failed door switch stops the higher drain instantly.
alprzy (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:27 AM
alprzy
Advanced

The post battery install dash and exterior lights flickering was all tied to the security system. Not sure if it went into a reset mode after the battery disconnect, but once I noticed it mimicked an alarm situation I hit the key fob security disarm button and the problem cleared.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Iexpedite
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the method you would want to use on a Corvette to protect your multimeter.

Last edited by Iexpedite; 10-14-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery or worse?

Old 10-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Iexpedite
This is the method you would want to use on a Corvette to protect your multimeter.
You don't need to remove your battery from the car! When you open the pass. door to get to the fuse panel, your interior lights will go on, and your DVM/DMM will register the higher current, not the residual current draw.

Most DVM's can't switch from the 10 A scale to the mA scale without interrupting to current path, which will cause the Corvette electronics to start their reset sequence from the beginning, so you'll get the high current draw again! (Which may blow the fuse in your DVM!)

Old 10-14-2017, 10:03 PM
Iexpedite
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't need to remove your battery from the car! When you open the pass. door to get to the fuse panel, your interior lights will go on, and your DVM/DMM will register the higher current, not the residual current draw.

Most DVM's can't switch from the 10 A scale to the mA scale without interrupting to current path, which will cause the Corvette electronics to start their reset sequence from the beginning, so you'll get the high current draw again! (Which may blow the fuse in your DVM!)

The procedure in the video illustrates what you described above with the exception of battery removal. The guy didn't show it in the video but I am sure he had the doors open the whole time. I want to say my lights time out and turn themselves off. If your meter can't switch modes and maintain a connection you would disconnect the meter, reconnect the jumper cable then make the switch.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:50 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

When troubleshooting my parasite draw on my 96, I never saw more then 4-5 amps (maybe 6 amps when I had the doors open) on connection of the negative lead to the battery post via my multimeter, the computers do not pull that much power when starting up. What you don' t want to do is try starting the car, that will blow the multimeter fuse for sure!

But an easier method is the Centech Fuse circuit tester...
https://www.harborfreight.com/30-amp...e-fuse-circuit

Anyway, gone a bit OT now since the OP seems to have cleared the problem.

Last edited by bac22; 10-15-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery or worse?