C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Gaskets & Parts Advise

Old 10-14-2017, 03:44 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Gaskets & Parts Advise

I'm about to order the following from Summit:

- Fel-Pro 1010 Performance Head Gaskets
- Fel-Pro 1628 Performance Valve Cover Gaskets
- Fel-Pro OS34500R Oil Pan Gaskets
- Fel-Pro TOS18663 Transmission Pan Gaskets
- K&N HP-2002 Oil Filter
- Bilstein 24-020541 - B6 HD - Rear
- Bilstein 24-020534 - B6 HD - Front
- Hypertech 1000 Power stat 160 Degree

Are these a good choices for stock replacements for my 1991 L98 A4 (700R4)? any recommendations?

Appreciate the feedback. Thx
Old 10-14-2017, 05:25 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

the fel-pro 1628 valve cover gaskets are for perimeter bolt heads. assuming you have your stock "center bolts," these won't work. on my 1990, I'm pretty sure I used the fel-pro VS50088R - same "blue" silicone rubber material, but configured for the center bolt aluminum heads.

not sure why you're replacing the transmission gasket, but if you're going to do that, might as well do a filter service. I suggest the AC Delco, 82-93 700R4 transmission filter service kit, P/N 8657926. gasket included.

I see you're going to replace the head gaskets. FWIW, I always install new head bolts. ARP sets are top shelf - try ARP High Performance Series Cylinder Head Bolt Kits 134-3601

on the other parts you've selected, really do not see anything that jumps out at me....

Last edited by Joe C; 10-14-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:54 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe C
the fel-pro 1628 valve cover gaskets are for perimeter bolt heads. assuming you have you stock "center bolts," these won't work. on my 1990, I pretty sure I used the fel-pro VS50088R - same "blue" silicone rubber material, but configured for the center bolt aluminum heads.

not sure why you're replacing the transmission gasket, but if you're going to do that, might as well do a filter service. I suggest the AC Delco, 82-93 700R4 transmission filter service kit, P/N 8657926. gasket included.
yes it’s the center bolt ones thanks for the tip Joe 👍🏻
As for the trans gasket found some oil leaks around it that’s why, doing filter service while there is a good idea will look into that..
thanks again
Old 10-14-2017, 02:16 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've found these guys had the best pricing when I recently replaced my base non Z-51 Bilstein shocks on my '89 C4;

https://www.ajusa.com/

For your '91 Base suspension, FREE SHIPPING!;

Fronts $81.72 ea; https://www.ajusa.com/bilstein-b6-pe...rber-24-020534

Rears $77.78 ea;https://www.ajusa.com/bilstein-b6-pe...rber-24-020541
Old 10-14-2017, 11:40 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by mako41
I've found these guys had the best pricing when I recently replaced my base non Z-51 Bilstein shocks on my '89 C4;

https://www.ajusa.com/

For your '91 Base suspension, FREE SHIPPING!;

Fronts $81.72 ea; https://www.ajusa.com/bilstein-b6-pe...rber-24-020534

Rears $77.78 ea;https://www.ajusa.com/bilstein-b6-pe...rber-24-020541
thanks Mako, appreciate it
Old 10-16-2017, 05:43 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

I got some info that Fel-Pro OS34500R Oil Pan Gaskets does not fit my 91 L98 A4,
anyone can give a feedback from experience?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:57 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZEROVETTE7
I got some info that Fel-Pro OS34500R Oil Pan Gaskets does not fit my 91 L98 A4,
anyone can give a feedback from experience?
according to fel-pro's site - application data, it's a fit for 86-96 corvettes, 5.7L V8 350cid. FWIW, that's pretty much straight from the horse's mouth....

http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part...20Gasket%20Set

Old 10-17-2017, 12:55 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

according to fel-pro's site - application data, it's a fit for 86-96 corvettes, 5.7L V8 350cid. FWIW, that's pretty much straight from the horse's mouth....

thanks Joe
Old 11-12-2017, 03:53 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Updates:
had the following done/replaced so far:
- Fel-Pro oil pan gasket
- Fel-Pro trans pan gasket
- Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets
- PCV valve
- Hypertech 160 stat
- Bilstien shocks
- Mobile1 oil (5w30)
- Dexton 3 trans fluid
- Break Pads (Front & Rear)

- Next going for a K&N air filters, and thinking of flushing fuel system but worried about the fuel tank to be rusted or somthing and can’t mount it back!! (Any suggestions in this department)

- Replacing injectors with bosch III’s (good choice?)
- Any advise regarding fuel pump, fuel regulator, filter?

Once all the above is done and tested ... the Mods to start
Old 11-12-2017, 07:20 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Updates:
had the following done/replaced so far:
- Fel-Pro oil pan gasket
- Fel-Pro trans pan gasket
- Fel-Pro valve cover gaskets
- PCV valve
- Hypertech 160 stat
- Bilstien shocks
- Mobile1 oil (5w30)
- Dexton 3 trans fluid
- Break Pads (Front & Rear)

- Next going for a K&N air filters, and thinking of flushing fuel system but worried about the fuel tank to be rusted or somthing and can’t mount it back!! (Any suggestions in this department)

- Replacing injectors with bosch III’s (good choice?)
- Any advise regarding fuel pump, fuel regulator, filter?

Once all the above is done and tested ... the Mods to start
on the topic of K&N, there seems to be two schools of thought. granted, they flow better, but at what cost? seems a new, clean, conventional, filter will supply sufficient air to the engine. you may only see any performance improvements at higher RPM's. some folks just change out a conventional filter more often, besides, cleaning a K&N can be somewhat of a PITA. FWIW, i'm running a K&N in my 85 just because it was there, and somewhat of a freebee. boschIII's - - I've installed several set in C4's, and multi-X, repeat, FIC customer. fuel pump, if I was replacing mine, i'd go with an AC Delco service replacement, as well as the fuel filter. regulators -- there seems to be a current quality issue with replacement regulators. take a look at this thread -- https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ect-alert.html

as for dropping your fuel tank - IMO, unless absolutely necessary, I wouldn't do it - just my 2-cents.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:13 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Joe,
Watch what that horse says.

That site says us VS 50443 R valve cover gaskets on a 92 LT1, which is wrong. Those are for composite valve covers. That error has filtered down to all the local part store listings as well.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Joe,
Watch what that horse says.

That site says us VS 50443 R valve cover gaskets on a 92 LT1, which is wrong. Those are for composite valve covers. That error has filtered down to all the local part store listings as well.
, however, my post was referring to the oil pan gasket. in that case, the horse is correct. it was previously stated in a different thread that the application of the VS 50443 R valve cover gasket was in error. i'm thinking, it was one of your threads, and as I recall, it may have been me or WVZR-1 that pointed it out. I understand what you're saying though....

Old 11-12-2017, 11:12 PM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Thanks for the tips guys
I was googling for the parts (fuel regulators, pump and filters) a lot of brands, specs, models... any specific brand for the original replacement? (ACDelco I guess but how can I tell if it’s the original one?)
what is the best way to flush the fuel system before installing the new parts?

And for the Bosch III’s injectors; to go with 22 or 24Ib? Does it requires any other parts to purchase with like o-rings, seals/gaskets...etc.

thanks again for the help
Old 11-13-2017, 02:34 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Thanks for the tips guys
I was googling for the parts (fuel regulators, pump and filters) a lot of brands, specs, models... any specific brand for the original replacement? (ACDelco I guess but how can I tell if it’s the original one?)

And for the Bosch III’s injectors; to go with 22 or 24Ib? Does it requires any other parts to purchase with like o-rings, seals/gaskets...etc.

thanks again for the help
1991 L98 corvette - 22 pounders. if you get a set from FIC, they will come with all necessary O-rings. gaskets, you'll need an upper intake set. Jon at FIC can supply those at an additional cost. I would also replace the two "fuel line-to-fuel rail" O-rings.

for any other parts, go to www.rockauto.com , 1991 corvette, and the specific category and pull down menu. with that, you can do some basic research. some parts have a heart next to the line item - indicates the most popular part within the selection, and parts are listed from least expensive to most expensive within each category. helps if you're on a budget, and in getting the best bang for the buck. for AC Delco, I always verify part numbers with the AC Delco site - http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php . here's RA's page for 1991 corvette fuel filters http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...el+filter,6200 - note, there are 3 heart identifiers, and it looks like a standard "ACDELCO GF652 is a more popular replacement.

as for identifying part originality, most all GM parts with have a part number and some, an additional date codes. for the most part, referencing the GM parts manual will identify and verify original parts. however, on some stuff, I guess it's damn near impossible. as you take things apart, a little "sherlock holmes, forensic science" is all you need to determine originality. this should get you close, but on a 25+ year old car, nothing can be guaranteed 100%.

not sure about your "best way to flush a fuel system." if your engine was running decent before, a new fuel filter should suffice. I've never done a fuel system flush on a C4, so I can't help you with the details.

Last edited by Joe C; 11-13-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

1991 L98 corvette - 22 pounders. if you get a set from FIC, they will come with all necessary O-rings. gaskets, you'll need an upper intake set. Jon at FIC can supply those at an additional cost. I would also replace the two "fuel line-to-fuel rail" O-rings.

for any other parts, go to www.rockauto.com , 1991 corvette, and the specific category and pull down menu. with that, you can do some basic research. some parts have a heart next to the line item - indicates the most popular part within the selection, and parts are listed from least expensive to most expensive within each category. helps if you're on a budget, and in getting the best bang for the buck. for AC Delco, I always verify part numbers with the AC Delco site - http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php . here's RA's page for 1991 corvette fuel filters http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...el+filter,6200 - note, there are 3 heart identifiers, and it looks like a standard "ACDELCO GF652 is a more popular replacement.

as for identifying part originality, most all GM parts with have a part number and some, an additional date codes. for the most part, referencing the GM parts manual will identify and verify original parts. however, on some stuff, I guess it's damn near impossible. as you take things apart, a little "sherlock holmes, forensic science" is all you need to determine originality. this should get you close, but on a 25+ year old car, nothing can be guaranteed 100%.

not sure about your "best way to flush a fuel system." if your engine was running decent before, a new fuel filter should suffice. I've never done a fuel system flush on a C4, so I can't help you with the details.

Thanks Joe, very informative I appreciate it 👍🏻.

The parts has to be shipped overseas so no mistake in ordering that’s why all these inquiries 😬 (right from the first time). And I have to check if these suppliers can ship internationally.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:43 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Corvettes have a recirculating fuel system. It flushes itself while you drive...
Old 11-14-2017, 03:17 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Corvettes have a recirculating fuel system. It flushes itself while you drive...
Good to know.., thanks
so iguess a new fuel pump, filter and regulator and I’m good ...

Get notified of new replies

To Gaskets & Parts Advise

Old 11-14-2017, 04:01 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Good to know.., thanks
so iguess a new fuel pump, filter and regulator and I’m good ...
don't forget the fuel pump strainer....

Old 11-15-2017, 02:42 AM
ZEROVETTE7
Racer

Ok, I’m looking at the following parts from RockAuto:
  • Four Seasons A/C Evaporator Core (54402)
  • ACDelco A/C Receiver Drier/accumulator (151645)
  • ACDelco evaporator core repair kit (1550119) -do I need that??
  • ACDelco blower motor (1580182) as a spare in case!!
  • ACDelco fuel pump (EP375)
  • ACDelco fuel pump strainer (T517)
  • ACDelco fuel filter (GF652)
  • Fuel pressure regulator (PR10) expensive!!
  • EGR valve (couldn’t find exact fit, any help with this?)
Any additional parts/accessories required with the above that I’m missing?
Will all the above fit as replacement parts for original stock? Wanna make sure before making the order

TIA
Old 11-15-2017, 05:56 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Ok, I’m looking at the following parts from RockAuto:
  • Four Seasons A/C Evaporator Core (54402)
  • ACDelco A/C Receiver Drier/accumulator (151645)
  • ACDelco evaporator core repair kit (1550119) -do I need that??
  • ACDelco blower motor (1580182) as a spare in case!!
  • ACDelco fuel pump (EP375)
  • ACDelco fuel pump strainer (T517)
  • ACDelco fuel filter (GF652)
  • Fuel pressure regulator (PR10) expensive!!
  • EGR valve (couldn’t find exact fit, any help with this?)
Any additional parts/accessories required with the above that I’m missing?
Will all the above fit as replacement parts for original stock? Wanna make sure before making the order

TIA
since I don't know what you're doing with you AC system, not sure I can comment on the choice of parts, especially the evaporator core. if you are buying a new core though, I wouldn't think you would need a repair kit. if you are replacing the evaporator core and if it's not supplied with a new orifice tube, might as well replace it. as for the rest of the parts, AC Delco is usually a good choice. as for the FPR - since overall quality today seems to be hit or miss today, I personally would choose the standard motor over the delco in this case. I have purchased the delco "professional" in the past, and it wouldn't hold pressure. seems the finish on the sealing button is the problem. some members have polished the button and that corrected the inherent problem.

for the EGR, here's a delco OE replacement - http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....041286&jsn=776 - note that it's less expensive than the "professional" -

looks like you've got most everything covered, other than fuel line O-rings (fuel filter and fuel line to fuel rail), and maybe an orifice tube. off the top of my head, can't think of anything else. maybe someone else can step in and comment -

Last edited by Joe C; 11-15-2017 at 05:58 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gaskets & Parts Advise