C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Low speed noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 02:34 PM
a306
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed noise

Hi everyone,

I am looking into a C4 1986 with a standard and 350. It’s sat for two years but has been started everyday. Tires don’t even have dry rot. However when test driving it, it had a low speed knock feel to it. But as soon as I go in on the clutch it goes away. If I speed up some it goes away. But anything under 5 or 10 mph not on clutch in first does it. It may just be my bad driving. Been a minute since I’ve driven a standard. But any help would be appreciated
Old 10-14-2017, 03:14 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by a306
It’s sat for two years but has been started everyday. Tires don’t even have dry rot. However when test driving it, it had a low speed knock feel to it.

Not much information to go on but from what you said, you may have developed some flat spots on your tires.

Started everyday? Serious? If the previous owner really started and let the car idle, without driving it every day for two years, you need to spend some time with the engine. That is not good for it.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:54 PM
a306
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Not much information to go on but from what you said, you may have developed some flat spots on your tires.

Started everyday? Serious? If the previous owner really started and let the car idle, without driving it every day for two years, you need to spend some time with the engine. That is not good for it.
thank you for the reply! Unfortunately my time with it was short. It got cut off because I had an EMS call to respond to. I did drive it however. I considered lumpy tires as well but as soon as you give it some clutch it goes away. Pull it out and it does the same thing unless you give it a lot of gas.

And yes yes they would drive it short distances. Maybe less than three miles. Engine sounds as strong as my old tpi. I don’t believe they just let it idle but if they didn’t drive it. They’d start it for a short time and shut it off. Just to move fluids around
Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 PM
a306
Heel & Toe

So I talked to my friend who’s mare adept to standards and they said it is possibly a miss and Smooths out when it gets more gas. Which I did not even think about
Old 10-15-2017, 03:43 PM
a306
Heel & Toe

Figured it out! I was starting in third. Like I said I’m not the best at standards lol. I confused the pattern and thought it was in first. Runs and drives great

Get notified of new replies

To Low speed noise

Quick Reply: Low speed noise