C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

procharged 96 barely runs

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default procharged 96 barely runs

this is a total shot in the dark as I know tons of thinks could be the issue.. But I have a 1996 procharged lt1 that has a replaced motor in it from a ton of spun barrings, anyways it never seems to want to start... and if I can get it to start it will run for like 5/10min then start to run pretty rough and die out, then wont start again, seems like its draining the battery out? but I dont know where I would even start with that issue. i've read before that could be a bad opti, but im wondering if anyone has any other opinions? maybe a bad tune thats killing it?
Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Did combination ever run correctly? If procharger is disabled will it run? Condition of plugs, trouble codes? Can you monitor engine data?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:02 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Probably someone put in a sh1tty non oem quality optispark
Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevova
Did combination ever run correctly? If procharger is disabled will it run? Condition of plugs, trouble codes? Can you monitor engine data?
I have never had it running properly, traded one project for another apparently lol, I have seen a video of it running but who knows what happened between then and when I got it, plugs have been replaced since I bought it but I feel are pretty beat up for how hard it runs, Havent checked codes recently as I dont remember how to do it atm haha and no not really any way to monitor data
Old 10-17-2017, 11:35 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Obd2 code readers and scanners aren't that expensive. If it wasn't back dated to a 95, some tuners don't like obd2 so they roll it back to obd1. I would look for a tuner for help. Never running right leaves lots of areas to look. If it will run for 5-10 mins before it quits data may show something.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:55 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

you can put the codes up on the dash

if you still want to use a scanner an autoparts place may lend you one
Old 10-18-2017, 08:23 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Oh I didnt think scanners really worked on what im assuming is obd1 with it being a 96, I dont really know how to bring them up on the dash, do I have to be able to start it for them to read/show?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

1996 first year for obd2'
Old 10-19-2017, 02:20 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Here's how they work on my 1995

http://s242.photobucket.com/user/swi...?sort=3&page=1

video I found, different year year

Old 10-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

The car has 0 power atm so I'll have to stick some cables on it and try grabbing the codes off it this weekend!
Old 10-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

tried putting boosters on it today to get some codes, wouldnt take any power, Wouldnt even get sparks on my cables which makes me think my cables might be the problem there, but will I still have stored codes when the car has been dead as a rock for months on end? or will I have to get it to fire up and see if anything pops
Old 10-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Put a new battery in it today, and it gets power, and it would start for 2 seconds then die, I fucked with the fuel a touch and it stayed running today, but started backfiring a lot so I had to turn it off.. scanned it and no codes. Don't know if that's cause if the battery change or if actually no codes? Any ideas on where to go next? as with it backfiring like that I cant let it run.. not to mention its open headers atm so its extremely loud..
Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles.rogers1
Put a new battery in it today, and it gets power, and it would start for 2 seconds then die, I fucked with the fuel a touch and it stayed running today, but started backfiring a lot so I had to turn it off.. scanned it and no codes. Don't know if that's cause if the battery change or if actually no codes? Any ideas on where to go next? as with it backfiring like that I cant let it run.. not to mention its open headers atm so its extremely loud..

The little I know makes me think supercharger = timing/ tuning / fuel adjustments needed.

Time to start reading or just take it to someone that has a clue how to get it going with out destroying something.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:15 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Originally Posted by pologreen1
The little I know makes me think supercharger = timing/ tuning / fuel adjustments needed.

Time to start reading or just take it to someone that has a clue how to get it going with out destroying something.
Always worries me send it to get tuned, not the tuning part, but the effort that goes into setting up a time/date, renting a trailer, getting it there, just to find out something is wrong that needs to be fixing before tuning can be done you know..
Old 10-27-2017, 10:40 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Back to the basics: Have you done a compression test? Have you verified that the valves are adjusted correctly?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:18 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Back to the basics: Have you done a compression test? Have you verified that the valves are adjusted correctly?

Have not done a compression test yet due to how annoying the SP's are to get at, the motor has been out before and been resealed with some parts replaced (don't remember what lmfao) and all reinstalled with valve done and checked by a crazy gm tech and haven't been touched since.. so I assume would be okay?
Old 10-28-2017, 01:13 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles.rogers1
so I assume?
There's that word again!!

Get notified of new replies

To procharged 96 barely runs

Old 10-28-2017, 01:20 AM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
There's that word again!!

haha yeaaaayeaaaa! I guess anything is possible haha! but if i'm checking valves, and from everything I've read maybe look into the optispark aswell, at that point I might just pull the motor out again and forged the bottom end lol
Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

In your particular case - I'm afraid that you need to start from the very beginning....

First - do you know if the injectors are factory original - or if they were changed to larger ones (the OE injectors won't support the power levels that the supercharger can easily create). If larger injectors were installed - the PCM software has to be modified to run with the larger injectors. As other posters have said - depending on who worked on the car and when - they may have substituted an earlier PCM, which they better understood. If you hook up a OBDII code scanner - it should work with a 1996 car - if it doesn't I'd suspect the PCM has been swapped out for an earlier one. The 96 uses a Mass Airflow sensor, and that is what you would want on a supercharged car - but again - they have flow limitations, and the previous owner may have either discarded it or changed it to one that can handle higher flow rates - which would have also required PCM software changes. Did the previous owner do things to "improve" fuel flow - to support the higher power levels, or is the fuel system stock ?? You should check fuel pressure while running to verify.

So - if I were in your shoes - I'd start at the very beginning...

Verify the ignition system is making a good spark, and check voltage while running. If both of those seem good - I would try to look at the fuel pressure, and at Air Fuel ratio while idling, and while running at steady state (no load). If you don't have the ability to do this - you're probably going to need to get the car to a tuner who can.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Charles.rogers1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Purple92
In your particular case - I'm afraid that you need to start from the very beginning....

First - do you know if the injectors are factory original - or if they were changed to larger ones (the OE injectors won't support the power levels that the supercharger can easily create). If larger injectors were installed - the PCM software has to be modified to run with the larger injectors. As other posters have said - depending on who worked on the car and when - they may have substituted an earlier PCM, which they better understood. If you hook up a OBDII code scanner - it should work with a 1996 car - if it doesn't I'd suspect the PCM has been swapped out for an earlier one. The 96 uses a Mass Airflow sensor, and that is what you would want on a supercharged car - but again - they have flow limitations, and the previous owner may have either discarded it or changed it to one that can handle higher flow rates - which would have also required PCM software changes. Did the previous owner do things to "improve" fuel flow - to support the higher power levels, or is the fuel system stock ?? You should check fuel pressure while running to verify.

So - if I were in your shoes - I'd start at the very beginning...

Verify the ignition system is making a good spark, and check voltage while running. If both of those seem good - I would try to look at the fuel pressure, and at Air Fuel ratio while idling, and while running at steady state (no load). If you don't have the ability to do this - you're probably going to need to get the car to a tuner who can.
It has the injectors that comes with the procharger kit (I believe) and a boostapump behind the rear licence plate, These should have been tuned in when the car had gotten originally tuned which I know it has been tuned in the passed, The scan tool I plugged in did work and read info so the pcm is reading obdII, it did read IAT at -40 so I'm an going to check the sensor and probably replace it to help with hard starting. I'll go out now and check the MAF as I believe procharger sends one and I believe its in there right now. I just rented a fuel pressure tester at the local store so I'm going to go check that as well.

Quick Reply: procharged 96 barely runs