C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Swapping later turn signal stalk into earlier year car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Heavyhauler75622
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping later turn signal stalk into earlier year car...

Has anyone attempted or succeeded swapping the later years turn signal stalk into the earlier years steering column?

I'd like to get that damn windshield wiper switch out of my door...
Old 01-07-2018, 02:06 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Having been inside my '84 column, the only thing I can say is that the only thing inside the column related to the t/s stalk is the t/s switch and the headlight dimmer switch, which is actuated by a rod from the t/s lever to the switch near the bottom of the column. You can yank the t/s stalk out of the column with direct pressure on the t/s stalk. It's held in place with a small ball detent.

All of the cruise control switches are in the t/s stalk, and have no connection inside the steering column.

The later columns with the w/s wiper switch are much more complex. You'd have to replace the entire column!!

What's the problem with your w/s wiper switch? Have you tried spraying electrical contact cleaner into your wiper switch slot while you are sliding it up and down?

Old 01-07-2018, 04:54 PM
Heavyhauler75622
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
Having been inside my '84 column, the only thing I can say is that the only thing inside the column related to the t/s stalk is the t/s switch and the headlight dimmer switch, which is actuated by a rod from the t/s lever to the switch near the bottom of the column. You can yank the t/s stalk out of the column with direct pressure on the t/s stalk. It's held in place with a small ball detent.

All of the cruise control switches are in the t/s stalk, and have no connection inside the steering column.

The later columns with the w/s wiper switch are much more complex. You'd have to replace the entire column!!

What's the problem with your w/s wiper switch? Have you tried spraying electrical contact cleaner into your wiper switch slot while you are sliding it up and down?

I intensely dislike some of the ergonomics in the early C4. It's a wonderful machine hampered by indifferent cockpit design. Headlight switches out of older Chevy trucks, a windshield wiper switch not in the stalk, not in the dash, but in the door of all places; ancient switchgear, no t-handle auto trans selector...

They put a huge amount of development into the "ATARI dash", and skimped everywhere else...

They do get a bye from me on the adjustment joystick for the mirrors; that was popular then. And they addressed the seat switches later in production...

I just wondered aloud if anyone else confronted these issues and their solutions to them...

Looks like I'll be busy correcting these messes. I have a thirty year technology gap I can take advantage of...

David
Old 01-07-2018, 05:21 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavyhauler75622
I intensely dislike some of the ergonomics in the early C4. It's a wonderful machine hampered by indifferent cockpit design. Headlight switches out of older Chevy trucks, a windshield wiper switch not in the stalk, not in the dash, but in the door of all places; ancient switchgear, no t-handle auto trans selector...

They put a huge amount of development into the "ATARI dash", and skimped everywhere else...

They do get a bye from me on the adjustment joystick for the mirrors; that was popular then. And they addressed the seat switches later in production...

I just wondered aloud if anyone else confronted these issues and their solutions to them...

Looks like I'll be busy correcting these messes. I have a thirty year technology gap I can take advantage of...

David
He!! - you seem to have enough issues with it to maybe consider a sale. If you're that much of a 'hater' maybe give it away!!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Heavyhauler75622
7th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
He!! - you seem to have enough issues with it to maybe consider a sale. If you're that much of a 'hater' maybe give it away!!
Let me guess...you're six years old, and Mom isn't giving you enough attention...

As for your trolling...well, don't give up whatever your day job is...

Tell you what...you tell me about your car, and MAYBE I might consider a trade...

Or not...

In the meantime, I will restore/modify/upgrade mine whatever way I see fit...
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I doubt you will be able to either swap out the turn signal stalk or the column to a later one from another Vette.

Having said that, there 'might' be an option or two. Maybe a Flaming River column or one from another set up the way you want from another GM model might swap. You'd have to do some measuring and junkyard crawling to see if there was anything available.

Don't have any other ideas.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 PM
1966ponyguy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don’t let these guys ruffle your feathers. As an owner of a 84, I have thought about the same thing several times. I agree that some of the controls just don’t make sense and seem like after it was built, they kept finding switches they forgot to add. I know that’s not really the way it happened but.... a hatch button that needs the door open to be able to push it, window switches in the console, wiper switch in the door.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Let me guess...you're six years old, and Mom isn't giving you enough attention...

Tell you what...you tell me about your car, and MAYBE I might consider a trade...

Or not...

Let me see if I have this correct. You are new here with seven posts and you are calling one of the most knowledgeable people here a troll? WVZR-1 has probably forgotten more about these cars than you will eventually know.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Each to thier own man. Personally I adore the early C4. Every unique quirk about it. Including the 4+3. Many of the other cars from my childhood, testarossa, 348, countach, all have thier own unique items as well. As for WVZR1, that guy has earned my respect a hundred times over with his willingness to help people (even some people with attitudes like yourself) find the information they need. Top class member. Good luck with your heavy hauler and to each his own. VT.
[QUOTE=Heavyhauler75622;1596337859]Let me guess...you're six years old, and Mom isn't giving you enough attention...

Or not...

Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I guess the grass is always greener on the other dash.

The switch that moves the wipers to the column in later years is known to fail, pricey and a pain to replace
Old 01-12-2018, 08:17 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Or not...

Amazing attitude! Just the kind of guy we all love to help out!

(Which way did you come in?)

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping later turn signal stalk into earlier year car...

Quick Reply: Swapping later turn signal stalk into earlier year car...