C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Seat track repair replacement parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:24 PM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Seat track repair replacement parts

C4 Corvette 1984-1996 Seat Track Replacement Parts

Since this is such a common problem on these cars and how overpriced and unreliable used replacement seat units are has anyone found a solution to replace the plastic gear housing inside the seat track transmission.

90% of the time it`s the plastic housing that holds everything into place. There`s got to be someone who 3D prints these seat transmission parts or sells them.
The following users liked this post:
xrav22 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 08:42 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 490 Likes on 391 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

This is a good idea.

However, in my case it wasn't worth the time and effort to disassemble and then put the track back together. I decided it was a more efficient use of time to replace the track, even though it was more expensive than replacing the gear.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:01 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Hiw do you pull the gear housing apart? its heavy duty steel rivet no?

drill it out and replace with carriage bolt?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:20 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I haven't seen a .stl file for these but there might be one out there.

Not likely to find a company that will take the time to build the file unless they see a sizable market. While 3D printing eliminates the mold making process, it still takes design time.

More likely it will take someone building a design in there spare time and sharing the file.
That brings up the problem of printing in the required materials, most likely abs and or nylon. Both materials are hard to print in and require higher than entry level equipment. Also printing environments are stricter for nylon and abs.

I would see it happening like this.
Someone disassembles a good one and duplicates those in a CAD program.
(hopefully they look at common failures and design them out)
Runs prototypes in PLA for form and fit.
Creates the STL file and makes it available.
Files are sent to a replicator for build in the appropriate material.

Generally in the 3D community, .stl files are shared free.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

I converted my driver and passenger seats to manual. Much better!

Old 11-06-2017, 12:21 AM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

We`re on the right track with this 3D printed parts concept. All we need is a correct .stl file and we can simply have them printed through Shapeways or even at home with any extrusion printer with ABS filament. Considering it seems every power seat in these cars go eventually this would be a fantastic solution to the problem. I`ve tested ABS prints in the past and it`s incredibly strong and will hold up no problem.

If anyone knows someone familiar with 3D printers and can scan or 3D model their existing seat transmission`s plastic housing and even the gears and provide an STL file we`d be set.

I`ve done research on this and it seems the seat track restoration companies simply made their own version and charge ridiculous amounts including your old core to swap out the part. Not a very sporting business model if you ask me.

As far as opening the transmission it`s simply a matter of punching and drilling out the rivets. Nuts and bolts can be used to seal the unit back up afterwards.

Last edited by VETTLIFE; 11-06-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:19 PM
Rob86
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Track Repair/Replacement

for TorchTarga94: On the conversion of your drivers seat to manual were you able to use the existing seat track to accommodate the manual seat hardware, fittings, handle or
did you have to purchase a set new, rebuilt.,refurbished? My newly acquired '86 C4 has a manual passenger seat. The electric/bladder fitted drivers
seat installed has major electric issues. I am up against a time constraint to get the Red Beauty inspected and the drivers seat electrics are shot.
Having a parts source would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:39 PM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

I will be disassembling one of my seat tracks this spring to have the plastic components measured for 3D printing. Don't bother buying replacement tracks as they are all broken or soon will be.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:41 PM
OviedoBob
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in this manual seat build too!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:20 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat Track Replacement Parts

The big problem with seat tracks is the plastic spacers used at the end of each gear set. If you take the track apart, you'll see that they have broken or fractured, which has caused misalignment and subsequent breakage of the gears themselves. To remedy the problem, a friend and I came up with a set of three metal replacement spacers that work like a charm. I've had mine in for three years and the seats still work great. Incidentally, the three spacers are not the same size, so our metal set is color-coded to enable proper installation, front to back. If any of you are interested, we'll sell the three-spacer set for $85 ($160 for two sets), which includes shipping. Let me know by responding to this post.

Last edited by SnorT91Man; 11-26-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SnorT91Man
The big problem with seat tracks is the plastic spacers used at the end of each gear set. If you take the track apart, you'll see that they have broken or fractured, which has caused misalignment and subsequent breakage of the gears themselves. To remedy the problem, a friend and I came up with a set of three metal replacement spacers that work like a charm. I've had mine in for three years and the seats still work great. Incidentally, the three spacers are not the same size, so our metal set is color-coded to enable proper installation, front to back. If any of you are interested, we'll sell the three-spacer set for $85 ($160 for two sets), which includes shipping. Let me know by responding to this post.
I’d be interested. As previously noted the plastic gear case housing is generally what breaks. Do you sell that as well?

A few years ago there was a guy who sold a kit which included the case and a set of nuts & bolts that replaced the rivets. He has disappeared in the mean time. It was a good setup that I used in the previous car. That really what I would like to find.

Also makes you wonder where the rebuilders get their parts. If they can get them, we should be able to as well. Rebuilding the seat transmission is not rocket science.
H

Last edited by ccmano; 12-05-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

id be interested too
Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seat Track Repair Follow-Up

Our metal seat track gear spacers won't "give," and therefore rhere's no forward and back motion of the gear sets themselves, which in turn places substantially less pressure on the plastic framework. As I said in my original post, I've used my set for three years now, and that's with a gear set that was four or five years old at the time. For ease of repair, I used screws rather than rivets on my seat tracks. This would allow faster disassembly if I had to adjust a track, but this has not been necessary so far. I also used liberal amounts of Amsoil Gear Lube on the gears themselves, not that this was anything other than a personal decision.

These spacers are the result of a friend and I deciding that someone ought to make them, so we went ahead and did it. We are not a company, and therefore pretty operate on a cash-only basis, meaning no CODs and no PayPal. Please allow personal checks two weeks to clear. If you're interested in pursuing this, you can contact me via email at lapswimmer916@gmail.com.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:53 PM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Are you still using power to adjust the seat backs? Is there a guide to convert the seats?

Last edited by VETTLIFE; 02-07-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:58 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VETTLIFE
Are you still using power to adjust the seat backs? Is there a guide to convert the seats?
No sir, my stock power seats in my 94' were still manual control seat backs so it didn't matter. The only function I lost was backward or forward tilt of the seat base which didn't matter to me. I'm glad I did the manual seat conversion. No more seat rock, and my seats stay in one position all the time.

Last edited by TorchTarga94; 02-07-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I would consider taking a look at it if someone wants to send a track with transmission though can not make parts for free. Cost would depend on volume.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 AM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
What did you use to delete the controls on the center console for the conversion? Do you have part numbers or any advice where to get the console parts from?

Get notified of new replies

To Seat track repair replacement parts

Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 AM
VETTLIFE
Advanced

Just posted on youtube:

Old 05-18-2018, 06:41 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VETTLIFE
What did you use to delete the controls on the center console for the conversion? Do you have part numbers or any advice where to get the console parts from?
I used the center cubby section of a non-power seat equipped car. I do not have the part numbers. A member on here reached out to me and offered it up since he converted to power seats.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:44 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
I would consider taking a look at it if someone wants to send a track with transmission though can not make parts for free. Cost would depend on volume.
I have a seat track and transmission if you want it. The forward reverse gear is bad and that is why I changed it out. If you want it PM me your address and I will ship it to you.

Quick Reply: Seat track repair replacement parts