C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

remove bulbs from under 1985 corvette hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:52 PM
1475glenave
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default remove bulbs from under 1985 corvette hood

trying to remove the 2 bulbs from under the hood...do they just pull out or by some other way...reluctant to just forcefully pull on it if not correct way to remove

thanks
Old 11-04-2017, 10:11 PM
1475glenave
Advanced

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
I haven't touched the bulbs in my 85 for 30 years, but IIRC they are "torpedo" terminals. The bulbs pull out of the spring clip terminals on each end. There is also a mercury switch in each housing that inserts like a regular pin-type bulb. Push in slightly, and turn 1/4 turn CCW to remove.
both of these lights went out at the same time as did 1 of the cargo area lights and a light under the dash in the passenger area...the other one was already out. i thought it was unusual for all 4 bulbs to go out at once but i checked the fuse and it seemed fine...none of the other electrical supplied by that fuse had gone out so i assumed the fuse was ok. could there be another reason other than the bulbs themselves? wouldn't all the other electrical supplied by that fuse be out also if the fuse were bad? i like you had not touched either of these under the hood bulbs in 32 years.

thanks for your help
Old 11-04-2017, 10:37 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 1475glenave
both of these lights went out at the same time as did 1 of the cargo area lights and a light under the dash in the passenger area...the other one was already out. i thought it was unusual for all 4 bulbs to go out at once but i checked the fuse and it seemed fine...none of the other electrical supplied by that fuse had gone out so i assumed the fuse was ok. could there be another reason other than the bulbs themselves? wouldn't all the other electrical supplied by that fuse be out also if the fuse were bad? i like you had not touched either of these under the hood bulbs in 32 years.

thanks for your help
Just use a 12V test light and see if one of the tabs has 12V going to it. That will let you know the fuse is good and the circuit has power.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 PM
BV85
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ihatebarkingdogs I'm an original 85 owner. TIA
Old 11-04-2017, 11:07 PM
1475glenave
Advanced

I don't remember what else is on the same fuse. I THINK the cig lighter is. I do recall the interior dome lights and the under hood lights are on the same fuse. The Halo Bar dome lights are on the fuse, and will come on if the hatch is open, even if the timer is not working. So open the hatch and if the rear halo lights are on, the fuse is good.

EDIT: I re-read your post. Your halo bar lights DON'T work. Check the lighter. Or check the connector for the underhood lights (one on each side) that below the headlight into the main harness for 12 volts as suggested above.

Are you an 85 Original Owner like I am? There's a couple of other guys on here with 85's they've owned a long time. It's cool to see someone that's had their car for 30-something years. :tup:
yes i remember the day i bought the car...june of 1985...i was only 32 at the time...much easier to get in and out of then than now...i am really not what you would call a "car guy" but over the last 2 yrs i have been trying to get the car in really good shape. recently had it painted original colors sky blue upper and royal blue lower. also i have changed out all the old and worn interior dash parts and trim. recently pulled all the carpet and am currently installing sound reducer kit. once that is done i will probably pay someone to recarpet for me. so this is aggravating with these light or lamp problems and my expertise are quite limited.

walter of bonita springs, fl
Old 11-05-2017, 06:48 AM
1475glenave
Advanced

Coolness: Three 1985 Original Owners in a row.

@Walter: I also bought mine in June 1985. I too was 31 years old, but turned 32 two weeks later. I also didn't understand all the fuss about ease of entry/exit at the time, but do now at age 64. Mine is also two-tone blue, still in remarkably good original condition with 6 NCRS Top Flights, a McLellan, and Crossed Flags awards that confirm its "originality". While it has never been a daily driver, it got driven 25K miles during the first 2 years, then lightly driven thereafter, and was not driven at all for 12 years. I've driven it 15K since 2006, and it currently has about 50K on it.

The condition of yours suggests that you have enjoyed yours more than I have because you've put miles on it. Which is cool by me.
i have a little over 57k on mine. it was the only car i owned from 1985 to about 1990 when i bought 1 of my 2 eddie bauer bronco IIs.
i really enjoyed those small ford suv. such a difference from driving the vette in every way from ease of access to comort and ride.

since 1990 it has only been a vehicle that i drive occasionally. now that i am a resident of florida since 2007 by way of michigan i enjoy driving it (will more so once this whole project is done) i already have had many nice and positive comments from people regarding the outer appearance. about a year ago i had all 4 wheels sent to a business in miami for refinishing and now with the complete new paint job i swear it looks as great as the day in june of 1985. really brings back some memories.

sounds like you really have a true show car which is awesome. maybe i should consider attending some of the corvette shows and events just for fun not to show my car necessarily. never have been to any.

one quick question: would auto zone or advance auto parts have the necessary fuse sets or replacements?

where do you reside? thanks for your help and comments!

walter
Old 11-05-2017, 06:23 PM
saxman1
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default non working interior lights

Originally Posted by 81c3
Just use a 12V test light and see if one of the tabs has 12V going to it. That will let you know the fuse is good and the circuit has power.
..I had the exact same problem and some folks on the forum pointed me in the right direction.
Try this...turn your headlight switch backwards to the interior position. I'll bet all the lights work ok??? How about the switches on the doors that open the rear hatch. Mine did not work, but the switch inside the console did work. If so, your problem is the timer for the courtesy light circuit. If I remember correctly, I couldn't get a new one, but there seems to be tons of used ones out there. I think I paid around 100. for it (supply and demand) If you can get to it, its a plug in replacement. I couldn't get to mine so I took it to the chevy garage and they had a tech who knew what he was looking for. Zip zip and done. Lights work fine now.
It worked fine for me. Hope yours is as easy to resolve.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Coolness: Three 1985 Original Owners in a row.

@Walter: I also bought mine in June 1985. I too was 31 years old, but turned 32 two weeks later. I also didn't understand all the fuss about ease of entry/exit at the time, but do now at age 64. Mine is also two-tone blue, still in remarkably good original condition with 6 NCRS Top Flights, a McLellan, and Crossed Flags awards that confirm its "originality". While it has never been a daily driver, it got driven 25K miles during the first 2 years, then lightly driven thereafter, and was not driven at all for 12 years. I've driven it 15K since 2006, and it currently has about 50K on it.

The condition of yours suggests that you have enjoyed yours more than I have because you've put miles on it. Which is cool by me.
Yeah, we need to stick together.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:51 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

I accidentally short circuited the cigarette lighter and found that all the interior lights went out when the fuse blew in my '90 Vert. Interestingly, that fuse also is in the power antenna circuit. Since I only use the radio for tapes I didn't replace the fuse thus preserving the original antenna extender which still works.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:42 PM
1475glenave
Advanced

Originally Posted by mickey5
I accidentally short circuited the cigarette lighter and found that all the interior lights went out when the fuse blew in my '90 Vert. Interestingly, that fuse also is in the power antenna circuit. Since I only use the radio for tapes I didn't replace the fuse thus preserving the original antenna extender which still works.
thanks for your comment

Get notified of new replies

To remove bulbs from under 1985 corvette hood

Quick Reply: remove bulbs from under 1985 corvette hood