C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Economical exhaust???

Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Economical exhaust???

My OEM exhaust is crumbling from the cat back. The car has been a dog for a while so I'm guessing the inside of the cat is as bad as the outside pipes. I don' gave the budget for the high priced magnaflow or borla exhaust.
What cheaper knockoff brands are out there that have a good sound? I want to elimimate the cat all together.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:23 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

My first go around I did the corvette central cat back with a magnaflow cat. The 84 repro mufflers were too quiet for my taste. You could hollow out your cat that way you won't have to weld in a pipe unless that's rotted. For a cat back I now essentially have mid America's part number 642-002 (their eliminators with the corvette central crossover) I like it. You can keep it tame or make it scream. Without a cat you're looking like $450ish and with one $650. The corvette central factory style cat back was like $300 when I bought it with the rear y/crossover. Just a couple of options.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 11-07-2017 at 08:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scgamecock (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 11:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

What must this exhaust do? Besides getting rid of some gasses? For a show situation, we have one thing. If you run in the winter and could get salt there, you need SS. If you put a pipe and the cops come, are you in trouble? Different areas have different laws and even within that, some cops are more ***** than others. How cheap do you want it to be? If you don't run a cat, the drone is louder. Can you and the passenger, not to mention local laws go along with that?
scgamecock (11-08-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 11:56 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by scgamecock
My OEM exhaust is crumbling from the cat back. The car has been a dog for a while so I'm guessing the inside of the cat is as bad as the outside pipes. I don' gave the budget for the high priced magnaflow or borla exhaust.
What cheaper knockoff brands are out there that have a good sound? I want to elimimate the cat all together.
what year corvette? i'd say the best, most economical system would be a walker OE replacement. the front Y-pipe is cat-less (if needed), the main cat flows better than an old OE cat, and the quite-flow mufflers sound a bit louder that stock, but not near that of a premium cat-back system. IMO, a perfect sound for a daily driver. total price from summit racing will set you back around $600. i installed this system on my 85, and it's just loud enough without drawing too much attention. overall, a good healthy sound. (BTW, i upgraded my 85 to an 86-91 system). finally and my 2-cents - i would not eliminate the main cat.

Last edited by Joe C; 11-08-2017 at 01:14 AM.
scgamecock (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:03 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

My Vette is a 90 base coupe. The pipes are rotted out just behind the main cat. The cat itself appears to just bolt in with front and rear U bolts correct? I'm betting that while either removing the cat to hollow it out or during reassembly the pipes are going to crumble at least in the rear.
I have been chasing a higher than normal idle as well as bogging on takeoff till it starts to clear out. There are no codes but I do have a check engine light. The motor is firing on all 8 and sounds strong when revved in park but does have some "bubbling" sound coming from the exhaust after each rev. I did not realize how bad the exhaust was until I got it up on jack stands for brake replacement last night. Does a clogged cat with holes in the pipes cause symptoms like this?

.I live in South Carolina which is a no inspection state. Noise laws are very lenient so a hollowed out cat wouldn't be an issue. Hell between the Harley's, sport bikes and 4 wheel drive pickups some of the people around here sound like they don't even have mufflers. We rarely get snow so salted roads are not the norm around here. Cold temps may last a week before climbing back into the high 60's in the winter.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 AM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Most economical? Find an LT-1 take off. 2.75 mandrel bent stainless all the way back. They come up for super cheap and are as good as any of the aftermarket offerings. I got one to replace the hacked up system on my 94 for 100 bucks.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I'd check the throttle body for issues first. IAC passages and housing might be dirty. That can cause higher idle. After taking the TB off, remove the top plate, IAC solenoid and IAC housing. Clean all with brake cleaner. Spray the IAC pintle with brake cleaner and gently wipe it down.

Reassemble with new gaskets and if it persists, we can check out the adjustments

Last edited by aklim; 11-08-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by daverulz
Most economical? Find an LT-1 take off. 2.75 mandrel bent stainless all the way back. They come up for super cheap and are as good as any of the aftermarket offerings. I got one to replace the hacked up system on my 94 for 100 bucks.
This is where it's "at", IMO.

OR fab your own, if you have the skills and tools. I just built a side pipe exhaust from the manifolds back, for a PROJECT THAT I'M WORKING ON. I spent a whopping $35 on it.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Depends on where the holes are. If they are between the cat and O2, air could be drawn in causing O2 to read lean. After the cat probably not the cause. LT1 stock exhaust definitely the "thriftiest" high flow exhaust for a l89. With aftermarket exhaust ,You Tube has lots of sound clips. Are you using a scanner or data logger to diagnose your condition? Vacuum leaks normal cause of high idle. Small leak would could cause high idle and no ses light. You will something to monitor IAC to be sure throttle plate is not misadjusted.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kevova
Depends on where the holes are. If they are between the cat and O2, air could be drawn in causing O2 to read lean. After the cat probably not the cause.

LT1 stock exhaust definitely the "thriftiest" high flow exhaust for a l89. With aftermarket exhaust ,You Tube has lots of sound clips.

Are you using a scanner or data logger to diagnose your condition? Vacuum leaks normal cause of high idle. Small leak would could cause high idle and no ses light. You will something to monitor IAC to be sure throttle plate is not misadjusted.
I never had it so I can't be sure. In theory, if his cat is plugged from rust or whatever, COULD it cause the engine to struggle and the ECM compensate by raising idle? IDK. Just hashing an idea.

I can tell you the wife doesn't like the Borla with a single Random Tech cat drone. She often makes "that face" when we get into the car.

I'd definitely go with that.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Any exhuast shop can throw one together for a few hundred + mufflers nothing special about them? Blew 1k on a catback before, meh..
Old 11-08-2017, 12:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Any exhuast shop can throw one together for a few hundred + mufflers nothing special about them? Blew 1k on a catback before, meh..
Was the material any different between the exhaust shop and the 1K system you have?
Old 11-08-2017, 01:48 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Hello there,

If you don't want to spend a ton of money call our friends at Allen's Stainless Exhaust in Indiana.

I have two of their systems, both Chambered and both are still with me after more than 20 years in service.

I bought both of my exhaust systems at Corvettes @ Carlisle and got a great deal where I saved a bunch of money and the shipping costs.

They are reasonable people, just call them and ask for a "great deal".

My Cat back systems was easy to install with a new hi-flow converter and has no drone to speak of. I spent less than $400 for the 1988 Coupe's cat-back at Carlisle but it has been a few years.

The first system I bought was a bit more challenging to install on my 1968 convertible with it's 427 and long tube headers.

A "Happy" Customer of Allen's Stainless Exhaust!

Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2017, 02:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
Hello there,

If you don't want to spend a ton of money call our friends at Allen's Stainless Exhaust in Indiana.

I have two of their systems, both Chambered and both are still with me after more than 20 years in service.

I bought both of my exhaust systems at Corvettes @ Carlisle and got a great deal where I saved a bunch of money and the shipping costs.

They are reasonable people, just call them and ask for a "great deal".

My Cat back systems was easy to install with a new hi-flow converter and has no drone to speak of. I spent less than $400 for the 1988 Coupe's cat-back at Carlisle but it has been a few years.

The first system I bought was a bit more challenging to install on my 1968 convertible with it's 427 and long tube headers.

A "Happy" Customer of Allen's Stainless Exhaust!

Good Luck!
I'm running a 383 with TPIS LT Headers. Do you think this will be less annoying than what I currently have on? How would it compare to Corsa? Yes, I know Corsa is SS and his SS version is more money but if he can cut down the drone better, it would be worth it.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:35 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I did the "dreaded" OBX stainless system on my '96. Muffler guy had to buzz in one bung for an O2 sensor but said it was no big deal. Sounds good, looks good. Not much louder than stock, if any. No regrets. Mounted it for 150.00 and he sent me down the road.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by aklim
Was the material any different between the exhaust shop and the 1K system you have?
Nope std compression bent aluminized pipe.
Some white box mufflers from any shop and a few hundred for labor would have netted the same thing. I paid for laziness and convenience of mail order
Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Nope std compression bent aluminized pipe.
Some white box mufflers from any shop and a few hundred for labor would have netted the same thing. I paid for laziness and convenience of mail order
http://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/140082/10002/-1

900 for that noisy thing so about 400 give other take for aluminized isn't bad. Sometimes it isn't worth it to buy the tools and fabricate for a one time thing. You'd have a shed full of tools you barely got use out off and have to store.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Silver85
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by scgamecock
My Vette is a 90 base coupe. The pipes are rotted out just behind the main cat. The cat itself appears to just bolt in with front and rear U bolts correct? I'm betting that while either removing the cat to hollow it out or during reassembly the pipes are going to crumble at least in the rear.
I have been chasing a higher than normal idle as well as bogging on takeoff till it starts to clear out. There are no codes but I do have a check engine light. The motor is firing on all 8 and sounds strong when revved in park but does have some "bubbling" sound coming from the exhaust after each rev. I did not realize how bad the exhaust was until I got it up on jack stands for brake replacement last night. Does a clogged cat with holes in the pipes cause symptoms like this?

.I live in South Carolina which is a no inspection state. Noise laws are very lenient so a hollowed out cat wouldn't be an issue. Hell between the Harley's, sport bikes and 4 wheel drive pickups some of the people around here sound like they don't even have mufflers. We rarely get snow so salted roads are not the norm around here. Cold temps may last a week before climbing back into the high 60's in the winter.
How do you not have any codes with a CEL on?

Get notified of new replies

To Economical exhaust???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Economical exhaust???