The beginning...LSx project - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

The beginning...LSx project

Old 01-25-2018, 09:00 PM
rlane5
CF Senior Member

I did a swap about 5 years ago and used those parts to do the swap. I upgrade to ported heads, cam Melrose headers 3" exhaust, and CAI. I just brought a 92mm Fast intake and 42 lbs injectors. The engine plates I brought only had one position and it is a tight fit but I didn't have any problems putting the LQ4 in. Actually I had it running within two days. when I did the swap I planned it in two parts. One to get it running and drive it around for a while, then the next step was to do a H/C/I which I did about three years ago.
Randy
Old 01-25-2018, 09:12 PM
rlane5
CF Senior Member

Mike my car has air condition I brought a Holley A/C bracket and used my old compressor. I can't ride in a car without a/c in the summer, I had heart surgery and can't take too much heat. So for me that is a must.
Randy
Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 PM
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member

Which AC compressor did you use? I have a holley AC bracket, the one for the Harrison (stock AC) AC pump. The ac pump hit the hood.

I'm using the 05 corvette accessory kit. I'm going to rebuild my engine next year. I want to use the Ls2/3 engine motor mounts when I do, so I can run the LS AC compressor in the 05 configuration. I want to run forced induction down the road.

Awesome to find other C4 LS swap owners here.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:26 AM
zo6byrd

Nice to see another C4 being swapped!
Finishing up a swap in my yellow '88. Its been just over a year but due to work, divorce, and getting another Vette it's been on the backburner but will definitely be up by the springtime.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 AM
zo6byrd

Any updates?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zo6byrd View Post
Nice to see another C4 being swapped!
Finishing up a swap in my yellow '88. Its been just over a year but due to work, divorce, and getting another Vette it's been on the backburner but will definitely be up by the springtime.
I can't wait to see you get your project done. I'm still putting on my front/rear C6 Z51 brakes onto my car. I was going to throw a camshaft in my LQ9 car, but I'm going to rebuild and use a recent purchase 2004 LQ4 engine. Not sure on what I'm going to do yet. I have GM CNC LS3 heads, LS3 intake, roller rocker arms and howards cam stilling on the bench.

I have a buddy that owns an engine machine shop owes me some money. So I just gotta find some money to buy the rotating assembly.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 02-22-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:38 PM
Will Speed
CF Member

Originally Posted by zo6byrd View Post
Any updates?
Well, Iíve still been working slowly on the wiring harness. Iím almost done with it but still have the fuse block and obd2 port to wire up. Iíve been using lt1swap.com guide to wire the harness.
The original engine is out of the car and the new one is in it. I had to put a small notch in the firewall near the passenger side head bolt. Also will probably need to relocate the coil in that area. Lastly, the stupid wiper motor is in the way so I have to figure that out.
The flywheel that came on the engine didnít line up with my torque converter mounts but I was able to make it work by drilling new holes in the flywheel. Probably had the engine in and out about 5 times.
Itís snowing here again so on another break.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:26 AM
fredk
CF Senior Member

Have any of you guys got time slips after the swap.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:29 PM
rlane5
CF Senior Member

Are talking about the performance at the track
Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 PM
rlane5
CF Senior Member

stock LQ4 with stock converter and 3.45 gears 13.0s @ 105, It did not have full throttle because of the cable wasn't adjusted correctly.
Randy
Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Will Speed View Post
Well, Iíve still been working slowly on the wiring harness. Iím almost done with it but still have the fuse block and obd2 port to wire up. Iíve been using lt1swap.com guide to wire the harness.
The original engine is out of the car and the new one is in it. I had to put a small notch in the firewall near the passenger side head bolt. Also will probably need to relocate the coil in that area. Lastly, the stupid wiper motor is in the way so I have to figure that out.
The flywheel that came on the engine didnít line up with my torque converter mounts but I was able to make it work by drilling new holes in the flywheel. Probably had the engine in and out about 5 times.
Itís snowing here again so on another break.
Yep I've been there, I smashed the plastic cover on the window whipper motor. Have you put the ignition coils on yet? You might want also want to try to put the wiring harness on as well and the oil pressure sensor. Its gonna be lots of wires back there.

I have no track times yet, as there is no tracks near where I live. Up here, no body can build a track these days, so many stupid noise rules. Its a 3-5hr drive to find one here.

I have 2.73 gears, so I would be lucky to get into the 12-13 sec area. My car is more of a hiway cruiser anyways.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:14 AM
rlane5
CF Senior Member

My engine just barely touch the wiper motor now. I modified a stock valve cover on the driver side, and shortened the coil bracket on the passenger side for the coils to clear the A/C box. It is not a lot of room in the engine bay. I just Brought 42 lbs. injectors and FAST Intake, and fuel rails with adj. fuel regulator. I just made a bracket for a oil catch can. I would have more room if I didn't have A/C, but for me, not having A/C isn't an option. I have been 11.3s with the old mods, and never had it Dyno tuned. It must be tuned for the new injectors. I want run 10.9 with it then I'll slow it down to 11.5s drive it where ever, that was my plan when I started this LS project.
Randy
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM
fredk
CF Senior Member

Yes at the track. You can easily get a LT1 to run low 12's so i wad wondering why the swap.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:06 PM
rlane5
CF Senior Member

Because with a LS swap the car is better all around. I had my 86 running high 11s before the swap check my sig. But I hated to drive the car around with that setup. A LS swap can be a lot docile and have better MPG. Why do you think a lot of gear heads are going the swap.

Last edited by rlane5; 03-12-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:01 PM
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rlane5 View Post
My engine just barely touch the wiper motor now. I modified a stock valve cover on the driver side, and shortened the coil bracket on the passenger side for the coils to clear the A/C box. It is not a lot of room in the engine bay. I just Brought 42 lbs. injectors and FAST Intake, and fuel rails with adj. fuel regulator. I just made a bracket for a oil catch can. I would have more room if I didn't have A/C, but for me, not having A/C isn't an option. I have been 11.3s with the old mods, and never had it Dyno tuned. It must be tuned for the new injectors. I want run 10.9 with it then I'll slow it down to 11.5s drive it where ever, that was my plan when I started this LS project.
Randy
You buy the EV6 (LS3 injector)? I'm using the LS3 injector.

Which heads are on your car? I'm running 0317 heads on mine.

You got to post some pics, sounds like one sweet ride.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:07 PM
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by fredk View Post
Yes at the track. You can easily get a LT1 to run low 12's so i wad wondering why the swap.
Have you drove an LS powered new vehicle? For now I'm just done with the SBC, sorry. The new LS (gen 5) are fantastic and GM have out done themselves.

Saw that world product is making a sbc bottom end and a LS top end engine block. Pricey option.

I have a bunch of LS3 parts, that I'm going to throw at mine. Not sure if I want to run 3.622in or 4in stroke yet. I want to put a procharger on mine at some point. Its just easier

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 03-12-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Mike Holmen
CF Senior Member

Sorry for the triple post, I have GM cnc LS3 heads, wished that I got texas speed PRC 237 heads 64cc(catheral) vs the 0821 head. I want more power/torque down low. The price on the GM head is awesome

I'm going to run 2.73 or 3.07 for gears, I can't keep my car from spinning the tires now. My L98 never did that.

I really want to install AC on mine some day.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 AM
fredk
CF Senior Member

Just wondering
Old 04-16-2018, 02:18 AM
MikeP84
CF Senior Member

Nice! Let us know how progress is coming! I know it takes awhile to get work done.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:33 AM
slow_zo6
CF Senior Member

For those of you who've already done the swap AND used a Vette filter/regulator, did you have any issues mounting it? I'm trying to place it where the stock filter was but its not far from the exhaust manifold. It'd be a little easier if the stock feed/return lines didn't come out as far.

Last edited by slow_zo6; 04-16-2018 at 03:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The beginning...LSx project

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: