C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Early vs Later cross member swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Default Early vs Later cross member swap

Can you do it? I have a lead on a cheap '96 cross member, want to install it on my '84. If I have all the associated suspension, can I bolt it into the frame? Or are the frame rails different on later years vs earlier years?

Last edited by RandomTask; 11-15-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:45 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

you will need to get verification because I am not an authority on the subject yet, but I have looked into it because I need to replace my 87 crossmember after my wife ran over a rock. My understanding is that the suspension in the front is tied into the crossmembers and you cannot swap them. You will need an early crossmember. Even then, The 84 might even be standalone I'm not sure.
The following users liked this post:
RandomTask (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:29 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Without having access to both to make a template of the mounting to the rails I would expect NOT!!

One difference for sure early to late frame rails is the upper shock mount so you would need to do a fabrication of sorts for that.

Aside from that you'd need the later steering rack OR do an inner tie rod swap early to late and that I believe could be an issue itself.

You mention '96 so you've also got engine mount bracket issues I'd think.

Very dependent upon a persons determination !!
RandomTask (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Without having access to both to make a template of the mounting to the rails I would expect NOT!!

One difference for sure early to late frame rails is the upper shock mount so you would need to do a fabrication of sorts for that.

Aside from that you'd need the later steering rack OR do an inner tie rod swap early to late and that I believe could be an issue itself.

You mention '96 so you've also got engine mount bracket issues I'd think.

Very dependent upon a persons determination !!
To be clear, I have both cars entirely. The '84 was on the track and got popped in the side, ripping the steering rack mounts off so I need to replace the K member. I'm also tired of bending over backwards to source/replace the steering rack on my '85, I also have a '96 I'm about to part out. I was curious if I could pull the entire front suspension (with k member) from the '96 and swap it over to the '84; suspension and all.

And I have hammers, a welder, and a "can do!" attitude

Last edited by RandomTask; 11-16-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:19 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I believe the reverse swap has been done: putting an early C4 crossmember into a later C4. The reason was that many feel the earlier suspension geometry was better, and that swap is legal in certain racing classes that don't allow custom-fabricated parts. But doing the swap would required the different steering rack and the newer suspension, I'm sure. Honestly, for track work a lot of folks would consider your plan a downgrade in handling. The later C4 front suspension has less scrub, which is generally good. But it also has a shitload more anti-dive, which is not good for handling.
RandomTask (11-24-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:49 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
To be clear, I have both cars entirely.
Unbolt & remove both - make a template of the attaching flange to the frame rails and compare.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:55 PM
KSA Aaron
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

The later cradle will physically bolt into the earlier chassis. I have done it both ways ('85-'87 into an '88 or later, as well as the later model that I bolted into my '87 to get the larger brakes, quicker ratio Z51 steering and better suspension).

The one major issue that you will face is the front swaybar mount as they are mounted in different locations with different mounts. You will just need to fabricate new mounts.

I wish you luck in your change...
The following 2 users liked this post by KSA Aaron:
RandomTask (11-24-2017), yakmastermax (02-10-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Early vs Later cross member swap

Quick Reply: Early vs Later cross member swap