C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 700r4 trans. fluid flush

Old 11-16-2017, 05:28 PM
JOESPIFFY
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1986 700r4 trans. fluid flush

going to flush my tranny. easyest way to disconnect line is from upper cooler connection? or is their an easier fitting to use? 1986, 700r4 trans.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Just drop the pan and change the filter. Get 6 qts of Dexron III, your going to use 5 1/2.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 PM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Just drop the pan and change the filter. Get 6 qts of Dexron III, your going to use 5 1/2.
Do this ^^^ and you could later extract the tranny fluid after running it for a while. I'd say you would change 90% of it. There's some pretty reasonable extractors out there or you could make one.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:03 PM
JOESPIFFY
Cruising

Default fluid flush

I already changed the filter. fluid was very dirty, need a total flush to try to save the tranny.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by JOESPIFFY
I already changed the filter. fluid was very dirty, need a total flush to try to save the tranny.
Have you tried a place that does oil changes? See if they have a flush machine? I wouldn't think that it can save the tranny if it is toasting but it can stop it from going worse as fast as if you did nothing.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:44 PM
JOESPIFFY
Cruising

Default 700r4 trans flush

what I really wanted to know if anyone has done it before,and is the upper line the right place to disconect. or, is there an easier place to discharge the fluid? I already changed the filter.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts

In my experience with GM tranys, the lower cooler line is the inlet for the cooler. I'd make up a piece of line with a flare to hook up to the upper cooler connection. Get some rubber or nylon hose and run that to a bucket.
Be ready to dump a gallon of atf in when you start it.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Then drop the pan one more time. If dropping the pan twice doesn’t ‘save’ the tranny you have bigger issues beyond transmission fluid.
Earlier this year on my 86 a 1 time pan drop and filter change was all that was needed. I have been all over the US with it this year and the trans shifts beautiful.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Then drop the pan one more time. If dropping the pan twice doesn’t ‘save’ the tranny you have bigger issues beyond transmission fluid.
^^^^

I believe that if you feel you've potential issues the second dump, filter and fill will do.

A DIY flush for a novice has maybe a few challenges such as twisted cooler lines and destroyed flare nuts and on and on, could prove very costly. Many might not do the 2nd filter

You've never mentioned the miles, haven't mentioned if the car has been driven since the 1st filter change so maybe it's important to mention both, miles on car and driven since filter/fluid.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Agree 100% !!! Use Amsoil SuperShift then maybe 5000 miles or less do again. You will not be sorry !!! greg
Old 11-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

I used Supertech off the Wal-Mart shelf.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

I have never done a auto trans fluid flush on a Vette - but I have used a very similar process to what you describe on my K3500 with a 4L80E tranny.

Dumped the pan and filled with new fluid. Disconnected one line at the cooler - and started the engine. Killed the engine when I saw the first sign of bubbles in the tranny fluid - refilled pan - repeated process three times - at that point the fluid coming out was pretty darn close to new looking.

One post I saw felt that the fluid returning to the tranny from the cooler did some lubricating, and that it would have been better to have a person continually adding fluid to the car while the cooler line was disconnected. If I had a third person available I would have done that ...
Old 11-17-2017, 06:25 PM
JOESPIFFY
Cruising

Originally Posted by Purple92
I have never done a auto trans fluid flush on a Vette - but I have used a very similar process to what you describe on my K3500 with a 4L80E tranny.

Dumped the pan and filled with new fluid. Disconnected one line at the cooler - and started the engine. Killed the engine when I saw the first sign of bubbles in the tranny fluid - refilled pan - repeated process three times - at that point the fluid coming out was pretty darn close to new looking.

One post I saw felt that the fluid returning to the tranny from the cooler did some lubricating, and that it would have been better to have a person continually adding fluid to the car while the cooler line was disconnected. If I had a third person available I would have done that ...
I will be adding fluid as i go. you have to be prepared with everything before you start the engine! they have video on u-tube on how it works.look at trans flush. it can be done in 25 min. if know what to do. some of those videos are not that good!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I will be adding fluid as i go. you have to be prepared with everything before you start the engine! they have video on u-tube on how it works.look at trans flush. it can be done in 25 min. if know what to do. some of those videos are not that good!
And exactly why do you want to do this instead of farming out this messy crap?
Old 11-18-2017, 06:58 AM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
And exactly why do you want to do this instead of farming out this messy crap?
I obviously can't speak for the OP - but in my case - the job wasn't too horrible - the 4L80E pan has a drain plug - so I was able to avoid getting old trans fluid all over myself - and while the pull the line off the cooler part wasn't a ton of fun - it was a lot less of a PITA than doing even one bank of spark plugs on an LT1 - C4.

BUT - my main reason was that while there are some "local" Independent shops that I use and that I have had very good luck with - most of them don't have the flush machines, and the majority of places that have the machines - I just don't trust !!!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Del96lt1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Trans Flush

Years ago, I attended a seminar held by Gordon Killebrew on maintenance and repair of the C4.
One of the tips he gave us was flushing the Trans.
You'll need 12 quarts of new fluid.
Disconnect the upper trans cooler line on the radiator. (Upper passenger side of the radiator) Connect a tube to the line, into a large drain pan.
( I use 3/8" ID clear tubing from Lowes)
Start the car, run it until it spits, shut car off.
Put 4 qts fluid in Trans.
Reconnect cooler line to radiator.
Put 3 qts fluid in trans.
Start car, at idle, without moving, shift into all gears, then into park.
Top off with last quart of fluid.

You've just changed every bit of fluid in your trans.
Easy.

Regards,
John
The following 2 users liked this post by Del96lt1:
Jetvette_95 (05-19-2021), JOESPIFFY (04-06-2018)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:49 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Del96lt1
Years ago, I attended a seminar held by Gordon Killebrew on maintenance and repair of the C4.
Disconnect the upper trans cooler line on the radiator. (Upper passenger side of the radiator) Connect a tube to the line, into a large drain pan.

Easy.

Regards,
John
Yes I agree that's what I did to flush all the fluid out of my 700R4, including the fluid in the converter!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:39 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Purple92
I obviously can't speak for the OP - but in my case - the job wasn't too horrible - the 4L80E pan has a drain plug - so I was able to avoid getting old trans fluid all over myself - and while the pull the line off the cooler part wasn't a ton of fun - it was a lot less of a PITA than doing even one bank of spark plugs on an LT1 - C4.

BUT - my main reason was that while there are some "local" Independent shops that I use and that I have had very good luck with - most of them don't have the flush machines, and the majority of places that have the machines - I just don't trust !!!
OP is at the point of "it is very dirty and need to flush to save the trans". Put it this way, if they wreck it, they are doing him a favor. If not, life is good.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:47 PM
86project
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission drain

Originally Posted by Del96lt1

Easy.

Regards,
John
Hello DeL96, just to clairafy, connect a tube to a large drain pan, you then start the car and drain 12 quarts of fluid , I didn't see anything about the drainage procedure, or was I to assume that? That also includes the torque converter? Thanks in advance.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 700r4 trans. fluid flush

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 700r4 trans. fluid flush