C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 DLC (ALDL) connection resetting

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:51 PM
gdgeorge
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Default 1993 DLC (ALDL) connection resetting

Hi Folks,

An issue that has been going on for awhile with my car is that there are a lot of errors with pulling data over the DLC. The data that I get is good, but there are constant reconnections using my MasterTech, Tech 1, Bluetooth box (with ALDLDroid or Tuner Pro RT). In fact, thinking back, my mechanic reported the same issue with his scanner in 2012.

I've run the DLC diagnostic, and that works as advertised. (All the while reconnecting.)

I've done a bit of research here and one issue that seems to crop up regularly is that one of the systems talking through the DLC is in the process of failing and sending incorrect voltage that causes the disconnections. Once source suggests unplugging the ABS controller and then the CCM to see if the issue persists or measuring voltage at the data pin and that it should be "well over" DC 2.5v.

Given this, I think that, in the absence of codes, measuring voltages at the DLC is the place to start.

Is there a better place to start?

To measure the outputs, I should use the pin for the system that I'm checking and the ground pin, correct? And then cross-reference with the FSM for the proper voltage range?

Here's hoping that I keep the magic blue smoke on the inside, where it belongs!

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Since you have a tech1 , How many modules are having data issues? Or is scanner resetting back to start screen?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:15 AM
gdgeorge
Racer

That's the thing. MT reads everything amd even does the DLC test (which passes), all the while disconnecting and reconnecting.

Upon some more thought, I think I'll revisit the FSM and double check the section on the DLC. I must have missed something.

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker
Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 AM
gdgeorge
Racer

I actually want to splice in and lengthen the wiring to the plug or find a set of M/F plugs with an eye towards moving DLC to the center console or to the space behind the driver's seat and set up my bluetooth box permanently there. This issue may move that project up on the list if I have to tear into the plug anyway.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

disconnecting and reconnecting: is scanner displaying no data or error ? or is it going back to start screen and have to re enter car? what all will your MT scan? ABS, CCM, ECM,? Are there codes in other modules?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 AM
gdgeorge
Racer

Good question re the scanner. I'll have to pull it out and see. As I recall the data screens just stop and start but I was paying attention to other things. I'll hook it up on Wednesday and will report back.

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 DLC (ALDL) connection resetting

Quick Reply: 1993 DLC (ALDL) connection resetting