C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Driver Rear Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 06:18 PM
BigRed85
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver Rear Wheel Noise

I have a 1985 base coupe automatic. I’m hearing a noise that seems to be coming from the area of the wheel rear on the driver’s side. The noise isn’t related to vehicle or engine speed. Pressing on the brakes doesn’t stop it. It’s not a steady noise at all. It almost as if you took a wind chime, took all but one of the chimes off and as the wind hits it it bounces around randomly hitting the house from time to time. I’ve taken the wheel and caliper off. The pads look good and the rotor looks good. I don’t see anything that looks loose. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:53 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Wheel bearing or u joint in the half shaft?
Old 12-03-2017, 08:58 PM
BigRed85
Intermediate

Wouldn’t those be dependent on speed? Also would those things make a more consistent noise? A bearing tends to make that rub-rub-rub sound where this more of a random sound. I don’t think it’s a bearing anyway. I’ve heard plenty of them and this sound is different. The other possibilities you mentioned I’m not sure about. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:39 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I had a major bump and after a long while found the right lower shock mount was loose.
It is hard to tell what is loose with shock and spring pressure but I noe put a wrench on all of the nuts and bolts every once and a while.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:16 PM
BigRed85
Intermediate

I’ll check that out. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

You might want to get the car up in the air and pull the wheel - then take a pry bar and push on every "joint" in the suspension. Bushiing "flex" is fine - but outright movement is not. The noise you hear It could be a bad bushing. Are any exhaust pipes well mounted / and even close to things they shouldn't be near - the sound you describe could easily be something occasionally hitting an exhaust pipe.

While the wheel is off - and with the car in gear and well chocked - make sure the parking bake is OFF, and see if you can feel for excess slop in a "U" Joint by turning the brake rotor one way then another.

You can check for rear wheel bearing play by putting the rear wheel back on (tighten the lugs) - then feeling for play by pushing at 12 / 6 O'clock - then at 9 / 3 O'clock. A tiny bit of slop is "OK" - but nothing significant.

IMO - Doing a bounce test to test shocks on an axle that has a sway bar is next to useless. Personally - my favorite test for shocks is to get someone to drive the car on a rough road - while you drive another car alongside and watch the wheel movement - the wheel movement should be well damped (remember - shocks are sometimes referred to as "dampers" - their job in life is to provide resistance to wheel movement - the faster the wheel tries to move (in a vertical direction) - the more resistance the shock is supposed to provide.... The shock absorber shouldn't let the wheel move rapidly - the wheel movement should always appear to be well controlled.)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:02 PM
BigRed85
Intermediate

I’ve had the wheel off and checked the u-joint and bearing. I never really thought it would be either of these things, because the sound just wasn’t right. I can’t see any of the exhaust that would be doing it, but it sounds like it could be something like that. I think a better way to describe the sound would be a tree branch brushing against the side of the house and you hear it scratching wind the wind blows. It’s actually been put away for the winter, but I’ll check the exhaust more closely when it warms up. Thanks for the ideas!

Last edited by BigRed85; 12-05-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

As has been noted, check your rear hub and u-joints. You also have to consider the brakes, parking brake and suspension in the mix. You need to get the car up and start going through it.

Sorry but the same thing may be referenced different by 2 people. You have a noise and now is the time to find and fix it.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM
B757captain
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same noise in my '93. Sounds like a random knocking or quiet banging against the fenderwell right behind my left hip. I have eliminated wheel bearings, u-joints, shocks and swaybar mounts. I'm pulling the dog bones next to check for worn bushings. I think it's there.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:30 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Guys check that shock mount(lower) it will knock and bang but it needs to be tightened
on the inside nut not at the shock. I pulled my shock at the bottom and 1/8 inch play made a horrible knocking.
Tightened it up and quiet as a mouse. Except for the darn dash small squeak

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Rear Wheel Noise

Quick Reply: Driver Rear Wheel Noise