C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 corvette cranks but wont run

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Ogunvette88
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 corvette cranks but wont run

I have replaced the following:
Fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuses, oil sending unit, oil pressure switch, distributor cap & rotor, coil & spark plugs. Still no start and no fuel pump action unless I jump the pump off directly. What could be preventing the fuel pump from energizing when I turn the key?
Old 12-06-2017, 04:33 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when the ignition is first turned on? That is controlled by the ECM through the fuel pump relay. The ECM turns on the fuel pump when it sees DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor. If you don't have DRPs (engine rotating) the fuel pump will not run. The DRPs are also used to synchronize the firing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine.
The following users liked this post:
don hall (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

After the initial two seconds at key on, fuel rail should have pressure, 35+psi. If not seeing this, then time to check the ECM. Check the error codes with paperclip method and see if code 12 is shown. If not, ECM needs addressed.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Does the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when the ignition is first turned on? That is controlled by the ECM through the fuel pump relay. The ECM turns on the fuel pump when it sees DRPs (Distributor Reference Pulses) from the ignition module inside the distributor. If you don't have DRPs (engine rotating) the fuel pump will not run. The DRPs are also used to synchronize the firing of the injectors to the rotation of the engine.
Does it ALWAYS do this? My 91 DOES NOT. Say I go there and turn the key to "RUN", it will prime. Shut it off and immediately turn it to "RUN" and it will not. Only after a certain number of minutes of "WAIT TIME" will it prime again. IOW, I am only able to prime it every so often and not every key turn.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 corvette cranks but wont run

Quick Reply: 1988 corvette cranks but wont run