C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

93 auto tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 12:31 PM
BrainDrainin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 auto tranny problem

last night I took the car out for a spin and noticed the tranny was revving high from first to second and wasn’t pulling very hard. I couldn’t tell if it was slipping or searching for second. It feels like it slips all the way through second then bangs into third at 5000rpms. Throttle wasn’t wide open but I was getting on it a little. Didn’t feel right for sure. I’m am clueless when it come to a auto tranny. I have only done a number of clutches on manuals. Where do I start? Do I rip it out?
Old 12-06-2017, 04:33 PM
BrainDrainin
Advanced

Anyone?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:26 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrainDrainin
Anyone?
How does 4th gear feel. It uses the same band as 2nd plus the third gear clutches. The band is applied by the servo on the side, be sure you have enough fluid & smell it, you might detect a burnt smell. Yes it would need a rebuild.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

First thing with a slipping tranny is to check the fluid level.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:52 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Any work done recently?

A delayed shift from 1st to second can also be a TV cable out of adjustment.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Reach out to Confab, I believe he has a trans shop or works for one
Old 12-08-2017, 01:15 PM
BrainDrainin
Advanced

I was thinking it was the TV cable, i have only had the car for 6 months... the tranny looks cleaner than the motor and pan has clean paint on it. I’m guessing it had some work. 4th gear feels fine, highway cruising is strong 60-80 pulls hard unless it tries to downshift then the rpms shoot up and it doesn’t really pull hard at all considering how hard it’s working. I was thinking either clutch packs are burnt up or TV Cable is out. Is it possible for something to stick or the cable come out of adjustment on its own? It didn’t have this problem until driving it consistently for the last 3 weeks (and driving it pretty hard those weeks) trying to see what she’s got for power.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:16 PM
BrainDrainin
Advanced

I’m going to check fluid and go through the TV Cable adjustment procedure today and see what happens
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM
BrainDrainin
Advanced

Would anyone suggest against me just pulling it and sending it for a rebuild and shift kit? I was thinking it may be a good idea to isolate the problem with it in the car first? Or just yank it and the motor and build up the motor while the tranny is sent out? I’m not confident in transmissions at all.... looking for advice, how much will the rebuild roughly run me?
Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Scott442
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure what part of the country you are in but this guy comes highly recommended on multiple boards and Facebook groups and will do a performance build with a one year warranty for $900 for a 700r4. You have to ship to New Jersey but he provides easy instructions on his website to build a shipping container.

http://cahallperformancetrans.com/
Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott442
I am not sure what part of the country you are in but this guy comes highly recommended on multiple boards and Facebook groups and will do a performance build with a one year warranty for $900 for a 700r4. You have to ship to New Jersey but he provides easy instructions on his website to build a shipping container.

http://cahallperformancetrans.com/
Maybe he moved, but now in Newark Delaware. I see he has a link to Lloyd Elliott
Old 12-09-2017, 09:08 AM
BrainDrainin
Advanced

I went out and checked my fluid level as well as readjusted the TV Cable with 71ft in of torque. I know it’s not recommended but I even went up to 80 ft in and down to 55ft in to see a difference. Still had the same symptoms. If I put the car in “2” it just revs up and barely goes anywhere, “1” pulls hard still “D” feels fine until it tries to downshift. I think I’m ripping it out
Old 12-12-2017, 04:58 PM
BrainDrainin
Advanced

Is there anything electronic controlled that can go wrong with these transmissions or are they fully mechanical?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:57 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I went out and checked my fluid level as well as readjusted the TV Cable with 71ft in of torque. I know it’s not recommended but I even went up to 80 ft in and down to 55ft in to see a difference. Still had the same symptoms. If I put the car in “2” it just revs up and barely goes anywhere, “1” pulls hard still “D” feels fine until it tries to downshift. I think I’m ripping it out
There isn't a measurement called ft inches. There are foot lbs and inch lbs. What size torque wrench were you using? generally inch lb are 1/4 drive, 3/8 and 1/2 drive are foot lbs.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:06 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

This is not sounding good...
Old 12-13-2017, 12:24 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Would anyone suggest against me just pulling it and sending it for a rebuild and shift kit? I was thinking it may be a good idea to isolate the problem with it in the car first? Or just yank it and the motor and build up the motor while the tranny is sent out? I’m not confident in transmissions at all.... looking for advice, how much will the rebuild roughly run me?
I would suggest going to any corvette specialty shops in your area and ask them who they use to rebuild the 4l60e's of their customers cars. Call those places and ask them what a tear-down and rebuild will cost. The labor is going to be the same no matter what "level" of components they use when doing the rebuild....

There are several really great you tube videos where they take a 4l60e completely apart showing you how the different parts wear out.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:46 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I would suggest going to any corvette specialty shops in your area and ask them who they use to rebuild the 4l60e's of their customers cars. Call those places and ask them what a tear-down and rebuild will cost. The labor is going to be the same no matter what "level" of components they use when doing the rebuild....

There are several really great you tube videos where they take a 4l60e completely apart showing you how the different parts wear out.
Since he has a 93, he would be better advised to ask for the rebuild cost of a 4L60

Get notified of new replies

To 93 auto tranny problem

Old 12-13-2017, 03:08 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by arbee
Since he has a 93, he would be better advised to ask for the rebuild cost of a 4L60
I stand corrected
Old 12-13-2017, 06:15 AM
BrainDrainin
Advanced

Originally Posted by belairbrian
There isn't a measurement called ft inches. There are foot lbs and inch lbs. What size torque wrench were you using? generally inch lb are 1/4 drive, 3/8 and 1/2 drive are foot lbs.
sorry for my mistake, I have a 3/8 drive inch lb click type torque wrench. I had to put a 1/4 adapter and thought that may effect the actually applied torque, this is why I tried going up a little and down a little in the torque spec but it did not matter. Whenever it’s in “2” it just revs up
Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

A C4 with ASR needs to have TV adjustment done to the FSM specs and the procedure I believe for a '93 might have been a 1 year thing.

Do you have the '93 FSM?

You mention pan has fresh paint and trans is clean, you also mention beatin' on it so while you're out beatin' on it I'd think you do a drive by a transmission shop. Maybe you ask the seller!!!

I see arbee has posted - if it were mine I'd ask his advice on what/how to proceed for diagnostics and a repair.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-13-2017 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 93 auto tranny problem