C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Steering issues- feel and lack of assistance

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:34 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Power Steering issues- feel and lack of assistance

Hi all. When driving my car it feels like I'm not getting as much assistance as I probably should (slightly heavy steering) and it doesn't operate smoothly. It feels like there is some pulsing feedback when turning, even a little. I have swapped out my power steering rack twice over the years. The rebuilding of the rack didn't think it was his part the 2nd time since they are pretty simple.

I'm pretty sure that my car is equipped with a power steering cooler if that helps.

I am trying to remember back if I switched out the p/s pump years ago. I think I did, but I can't quite remember and may have to visit the local napa or autozone to see if they have it in their system. Would what I'm describing above be more of a pump issue or perhaps an air bubble in the line? I have put probably a few thousand miles on since last swapping out the rack so I wouldn't totally think this was the case, but who knows. Anyhow, what are likely causes of my issues with my power steering?

thanks!

Last edited by qwiketz; 12-06-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

No issue with air bubbles the PS pump purges air in the system automatically.
The pump may whine for a day until all air is purged. If it continues to make noise it is faulty.

You may have the wrong pump the size of the orifice in the pump determines operating pressure. Had this link saved it will give you an idea of what you need HOWEVER this valve is a change for LESS pump pressure.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dragon-Publish...iABEgKtX_D_BwE

If you have the sport rack they do steer heavier than the standard rack. Also if 9.5 front wheels they steer a bit heavier than later C4's with narrower front wheels.

Excessive caster adjustment = heavier steering.

Good luck
Old 12-18-2017, 09:28 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
No issue with air bubbles the PS pump purges air in the system automatically.
The pump may whine for a day until all air is purged. If it continues to make noise it is faulty.

You may have the wrong pump the size of the orifice in the pump determines operating pressure. Had this link saved it will give you an idea of what you need HOWEVER this valve is a change for LESS pump pressure.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dragon-Publish...iABEgKtX_D_BwE

If you have the sport rack they do steer heavier than the standard rack. Also if 9.5 front wheels they steer a bit heavier than later C4's with narrower front wheels.

Excessive caster adjustment = heavier steering.

Good luck
Thanks! I'm pretty certain that I'll be replacing the pump in the future. It has been replaced about 10 years ago and has a lifetime warrantee so it's really just my time. I do recall it being a little bit of a pain but hopefully this time around it'll be easier since the bolts have not been sitting for as long
Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Thanks! I'm pretty certain that I'll be replacing the pump in the future. It has been replaced about 10 years ago and has a lifetime warrantee so it's really just my time. I do recall it being a little bit of a pain but hopefully this time around it'll be easier since the bolts have not been sitting for as long
Tinkering with the orifice as suggested by Churchkey could certainly be to your advantage. Maybe reach-out to 'Junior' of TurnOne for suggestions regarding 'flow control'.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-18-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering issues- feel and lack of assistance

Quick Reply: Power Steering issues- feel and lack of assistance