C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please Read. Transmission died today, living in new town, need help asap, thanks!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 09:47 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Please Read. Transmission died today, living in new town, need help asap, thanks!!

Hi,
what a morning. On my way to work today the car started slipping i guess is the best way to describe it when it was trying to shift out of overdrive. There were no weird noises or anything jus this slipping and the revs would go right up but no power at all along with them. I finally figured out how to get to work by leaving it in 2nd gear (auto trans) and having to speed up coast in neutral then repeat. I once got it to shift into drive or 3rd gear if you will and i heard what sounded like a belt slip at the same time. I just moved and know of no trustworth mechanics in providence. What does this sound like to all of you. Is the transmission shot?? What about this belt noise. Please write back asap. I dont want to call around to repair shops until i know what i am talking about a little more. I am scared the car will never be the same. I have heard horror stories about rebuilt transmissions. Please help me!!! :( I can drive in 2nd but thats it!!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:57 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

tranny is shot, time for rebuild :(
Old 10-10-2002, 10:10 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: (vader86)

Any guess as to more specific info?? I call AAMCO and they are coming to tow it free of charge and told me they will have an estimate for me by this afternoon. I want to make sure i don't get ripped off being new in town. What is your guess on specifics and pricing for different scenarios. Is what happened to me this morning common??
Old 10-10-2002, 10:36 AM
1SLO POK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (robertpel9)

If AAmco is going to do the repairs, bargin with them. A few years back, my 4+3 went out and they wanted to charge me $3500 to fix. I told them to just put all the parts in a bucket and I'll have a tow truck come pick the car up. Next thing I know I get a phone call from Aamco and said they can do it for $2500. I still said no.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:48 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.pro-built.net/ I would go here. And put it in yourself
Old 10-10-2002, 10:59 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: (vader86)

tranny is shot, time for rebuild :(
yup :(
Old 10-10-2002, 11:19 AM
TrplBlk01
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use AMMCO for th etow but not the rebuild!
:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
Or You'll be sorry! :yesnod:
Old 10-10-2002, 11:22 AM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

No AMMCO, they will rape you on repair and won't do it right. NO BIG chain trans. places. They will charge you the towing and to take a look at your trans. if you decided not to let then do the repair. Save the headache don't let them tow it. You got AAA card? Shop around for a small reputable trans. shop if you want it rebuild...either way it will cost money:(.
You can get a local shop to replace the trans. for you but don't let AMMCO touch the Vette. They wanted to charge me $3500 for a junkyard manual trans for an 90 Honda Accord:mad. I got a rebuild from a company in CA shipped for ~$800-$900 and labor charge ~$300 at a local shop. Much less than $3500 for a used (junkyard) honda manual trans.
http://www.pro-built.net/index.cfm?f...t&categoryid=9
Old 10-10-2002, 11:26 AM
vettmech
Drifting

Default Re: (VQT88Vette)

:nono: never use AAMCO.......... They are the worst ripoff artists I ever heard of........I have fixed a LOT of their poorly done work....... :U :seeya
Old 10-10-2002, 11:52 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: (vettmech)

What are my options?? Being new in town i don't know of anyone to do this. I asked around at work and the guy who has our heavy duty trucks serviced said this is a reputable shop and that he would not go to the local cottman or anything but that these guys could be trusted. I just watched her go away on a flatbed and they are suposed to give me the damage over the phone this afternoon. I am at a loss. I reall don't want this to be the start of soaking thousands into a 12 year old car. It is in beautiful condition and not a scratch on it but is this the start of a lot of issues?? I can't fault a 12 year old car with 96,000 miles on it needed some TLC but i've been around the forum long enought to know that when it rains it pours. It's already on it's way to AAMCO so i think it's too late to bring it somewhere else. How would i be a ble to trust them any more than this place anyway. Please keep giving me feedback. I am checking this thread like every 5 minutes. Any troubleshooters out there with a guess as to the problem and a reasonable price to fix it??
Old 10-10-2002, 12:25 PM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

http://www.pro-built.net/index.cfm?f...t&categoryid=9
Check this link out.

Ask them how much do they charge to change the trans., they usually don't change trans. that you shipped to them. They go though their supplier, yea right, and charge you much more than it worth. Like "vettemech" stated above, they will ruin their work...
Check the yellow pages for some obscure trans. place (small shop) that only work on trans. and has been around a long time. How can a small trans. shop stay in business a long time :cheers: and either let them change out the trans. buy buy or let them rebuild it. NOT AMMCO, I guess you'll just have to pay for the tow and diagnosis to Ammco and another tow to a local shop or home.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:13 PM
JOHN89
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Please Read. Transmission died today

Robert,
You have email.
George's Transmission in Coventry R.I..
Flat River Road, Route 117
Very Reputable shop!
Good Luck!
John
Old 10-10-2002, 02:51 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Please Read. Transmission died today (JOHN89)

John, thanks for the contact. I called there and he quoted 900 + torque converter if needed but he said it would be at least a month. Thanks for the info anyway though. On a side note AAMCO called back and it needs to be rebuilt (bisg surprise) the range to fix is 1200-1600 bucks depending on what they find inside with 1600 being if the hard parts are damaged which they (and i) don't think will be the case. So i'm looking at about 1300. Don't wanna do it but don't have much of a choice. they are gonna call me tomorrow with the exact figure. Now i am conflicted about buying a extended warranty with it. It comes with 12/mos unlimited miles with the rebuild. The 3 yr/50000 miles is 299 and the lifetime is 599. I never buy extended warraties but am tempted in this case. I am thinking the 3yr one is worth it in peace of mind. What do you all think??
Old 10-10-2002, 07:43 PM
JOHN89
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Please Read. Transmission died today (robertpel9)

Robert,
Wow 1 month! He must be busy! Hmmm, I don't know anyone else that I could recommend in R.I.. I would be very leary of AAMCO. If I were you.
I would go with one of the links above if I couldn't get George.
Sorry, I wish I could have been more help. Just curious, how many miles do you have on the car? Oh there is a place on Smith street in Providence called Portland Transmission. They did a transmission in a Bently my dad once had but I'm not too familiar with them or the quality of their work.
Good Luck!
John
Old 10-10-2002, 09:23 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Please Read. Transmission died today (JOHN89)

the car has 96,000 miles. I guess i am sticking with AAMCO, i was very candid with the owner of this particular one and let him know that while i did not mind giving him the business it better be fixed right or he'd wish he did not take it in. We had a frank talk back and forth and i feel comfotable with him. He said all new parts will be used and a HD 700R4 rebuild kit will be used along with the correct torque converter. I think he will do ok by me and it is warrantied if worse comes to worst. Any last second iseas on how to make this as painless as possible??
Old 10-11-2002, 03:04 AM
olephart
Burning Brakes

Don't bother with an extended warranty. It will break in the first month or two or it will probably last for years of normal driving.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:15 AM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Please Read. Transmission died today (olephart)

Well, now that you have the choice of shop out of the way, have you thought about swapping in a higher stall converter??? :reddevil :reddevil :D

I'm glad that you got everything straight with AAMCO. When I thought I was having tranny probs (turns out I wasn't), I called them for an estimate on a rebuild and they said at least $2k. I think you might have found a reputable shop.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Read. Transmission died today, living in new town, need help asap, thanks!!

Old 10-11-2002, 09:06 AM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Default Re: Please Read. Transmission died today (dtorc4)

I hope i found a decent one. My gut tells me i did but time will tell. Tell me what would a higher stall converter do if i do no other mods. Please reply asap cause they are doing all the work today and if i am gonna do it i have to let them know. What differences would i see with a differnt converter all else being equal??
Old 10-11-2002, 09:30 AM
ZylaRace
Drifting

A higher stall converter will allow the engine to spin up to the power band faster. i.e. You get less MPG, and more get up n go.

That 91 is TPI, right? TPI makes big torque down low. I'd say you don't need a high stall converter. You elluded to a shift kit going in as part of the rebuild, true? That should improve your performace as well. (What size is your rear gear?) If you just use it as a street car, I'd think you will be happy w/ just that. Just my $.02.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:20 PM
JOHN89
Burning Brakes

I have a gm converter out of an 85/86 vette and it gave me .4-.5 quicker in the 1/4 mi than the stock 89 one. Not bad for $182.00 !! Best mod to date!
Stock 89 vette stalled around 1575 rpm. 85 converter with my mods stalls around 2700rpm! Very nice mod indeed!
John

Quick Reply: Please Read. Transmission died today, living in new town, need help asap, thanks!!