C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Common cold weather suspension squeak fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:16 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts
Default Common cold weather suspension squeak fixes?

It is winter(ish) in Texas so it means that our cars are making all sorts of unnatural sounds as the temps cool. Cars that are accustom to 90's and 100's are now subjected to 30's with the occasional 20's.

Snap, crackles and pops seem to be more pronounced at colder temps.

My latest gremlin is my 89 front suspension. Normally, quiet, I've developed a "rubberized squeak" from the front end as I go over bumps. This is especially noticeable in the parking garage as I (slowly) go over speed bumps. It seem to make this noise when the suspension expands rather than compresses.

From talking to my trusted mechanic, he said that this condition is pretty normal in the cold and that my options were to 1) live with it until it warms (It will be 70 tomorrow), 2) start changing bushings and or 3) attack the bushings and mounts with some rubber friendly lubricants- a temporary fix. He said my suspension is good so save the money and squirt it up.

Sounds like a plan.

Has anyone had suspension squeaks that can help me "zero in" on a common areas? I'll jack up my car and get after things when it warms a bit later.

(Pic is from my 91 ZR1. I don't have any front suspension pictures, but I know how we all like photos, so I'm feeding that beast)
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2017, 01:07 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

On my 1968 C3 I had Polyurethane bushing put in the front and rear of my car (and I still hate them). They squeak in the summer months as well as the winter months. I installed them with lubricant like the instructions said but the darn things like to make noise. I put a graphite lubricant everywhere when I installed them but that did not last long. I have Polyurethane bushings in several places on my 1988 C4 Coupe both in the front and rear of the car. I have never heard anything but the A-Arms squeak in front. The rear has never made any noise.

I use a silicone spray with a hose attached and I squirt it everywhere there is a potential for a squeak. It works for a couple months or until you get caught in a rain storm. It does a great job at reducing that annoying effect of Polyurethane Bushings. Silicone will not destroy the rubber parts either, it actually helps protect the rubber.

On my C3 the upper shock mounts make noise and the bushings on the A-arms are really prone to squeaking. They are in excellent condition unfortunately or I would change them out to rubber bushings.

The best thing to do is have an assistant (Good Looking Assistants are preferred) push down and pull up on the front end while looking for those pesky squeaks. I would do both ends (Pushing up/down) while looking and listening.

I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a great New Year for driving our Corvettes!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I agree w/your mechanic. The rubber is starting to slip in it's housing or around the center bolt collar. Replace, lube, or ignore.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:42 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

My 96 develops a squeak where the transverse spring contacts the lower control arms. I jack the spring up at each end and apply fresh grease to those areas.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:07 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I agree w/your mechanic. The rubber is starting to slip in it's housing or around the center bolt collar. Replace, lube, or ignore.
Thanks. I jacked up the front end and hit all the logical spots with silicone lube, then bounced the car. I've yet to take it for a ride and "work the lube in" but will later. Saturday means dinner out night and well take the 89 and see what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Common cold weather suspension squeak fixes?

Quick Reply: Common cold weather suspension squeak fixes?