C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Possible Brake Booster? Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 02:07 AM
SeptoseZero
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Brake Booster? Questions

Alright, I'm new here, so go easy on me. My question is this, I have an 89' C4 that the brake pedal emits a hissing and has a ton of resistance when attempting stopping power. The issue is constant, and makes it practically impossible to drive. I suspect its likely the brake booster because when I try to hold my foot on the brake and start it, the pedal doesn't try to move to the floor and gives a bit of resistance. The booster is OEM and I already made the mistake of buying an replacement before asking around. Is there anything else this could be? I plan on taking it to a shop this weekend and having them replace it, since I just don't have the time to turn wrenches like I used to. I'm just concerned with taking it somewhere and the shop trying to get one over on me. Christmas being around the corner, I'd like to do this as cheaply as I could, so if theres anything you guys know that are likely another cause, I'd love to hear it. Just asking for discussion, I know you would have to actually put eyes on it to diagnose it properly. I love my Black Betty, she's only got 40,000 miles and I want to take care of her. lol.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2017, 08:42 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by SeptoseZero
Alright, I'm new here, so go easy on me. My question is this, I have an 89' C4 that the brake pedal emits a hissing and has a ton of resistance when attempting stopping power. The issue is constant, and makes it practically impossible to drive. I suspect its likely the brake booster because when I try to hold my foot on the brake and start it, the pedal doesn't try to move to the floor and gives a bit of resistance. The booster is OEM and I already made the mistake of buying an replacement before asking around. Is there anything else this could be? I plan on taking it to a shop this weekend and having them replace it, since I just don't have the time to turn wrenches like I used to. I'm just concerned with taking it somewhere and the shop trying to get one over on me. Christmas being around the corner, I'd like to do this as cheaply as I could, so if theres anything you guys know that are likely another cause, I'd love to hear it. Just asking for discussion, I know you would have to actually put eyes on it to diagnose it properly. I love my Black Betty, she's only got 40,000 miles and I want to take care of her. lol.

Thanks!
From what you have Described, Hard Braking, Hiss with Foot on Pedal, With Foot on Brake no dip of Pedal when started. I feel the Booster is Bad and a new one is needed.

Last edited by s carter; 12-12-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 AM
jagvette
Intermediate

Check the vacuum pipe to the booster is working, I would disconnect it with the engine running to see if it is 'sucking' if that's OK I would suspect the booster, I just replaced mine with a metal one I got on Ebay and now my brakes work great the plastic ones often split even when new.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:11 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

This covers the booster, how it works and how to diagnose it.

http://crowz.narmir.com/vehicles/198...repair/brakes/
The following users liked this post:
L98-C4-HI (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 02:18 AM
L98-C4-HI
Cruising

Cool link, thanks! My pedal is more than firm and slightly dead feeling. Looking at the booster it says it's a GM Australian part so it must've been changed somewhere along the way. Kind of odd yes?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:37 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

The symptoms you describe are the same ones I had on my 92 when the booster failed.

No vacuum from the engine would cause a hard pedal but would not cause the hissing sound.

As to the Australia thing. Mine was marked the same way. It is my understanding that the boosters were made there and shipped to Kentucky.
L98-C4-HI (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 11:42 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

As far as a shop getting over on you.

If your supplying the part the only cost should be labor. I did mine in about 4 hours having never done it before, an experienced shop should be a little quicker than that. I did not have to disconnect the master cylinder, so there was no need to bleed the brakes. If they aren't familiar with corvettes they might remove the MC and thus more hours.

Since your supplying the part, if it's the wrong one and doesn't fit, that's on you. Maybe post up the brand and part number you bought. Someone may know if it fits properly.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Could be the check valve.

http://www.oscaroparts.com/dorman-po...SABEgJrgvD_BwE
L98-C4-HI (12-21-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 02:17 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by L98-C4-HI
Cool link, thanks! My pedal is more than firm and slightly dead feeling. Looking at the booster it says it's a GM Australian part so it must've been changed somewhere along the way. Kind of odd yes?
An Aussie one is OEM.
L98-C4-HI (12-22-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 01:12 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The original brake system is made by PBR, which is an Australian company. The exception to that is that the ABS system is made by Bosch.
L98-C4-HI (12-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Possible Brake Booster? Questions

Quick Reply: Possible Brake Booster? Questions