C4 (L98) Parts help - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 (L98) Parts help

Old 12-14-2017, 06:44 AM
ghoastrider1
CF Senior Member

Been to New Castle, great place and still drink the beer. Have friends in Wisham. If you see a Huey helicopter fly overhead, that's my friends, owner and crew are good guys. I see some parts on your vette are the same as the ones on my 86. I like mine at the drag strip here in Indy tho its a street car. Welcome to the forum
The Following User Says Thank You to ghoastrider1 For This Useful Post:
Jordan Davies (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Jordan Davies

Originally Posted by 1cooldaddyo View Post
I agree. It's definitely worth spending some time troubleshooting the alternator as its not going to be easy to make sure you're getting the correct replacement. I've already been down this road on my own '85.
The alternator is a 17si case size...the largest GM made. It was only used on the Corvette, a Cadillac (I think) and heavy duty trucks with snow plow package. The thing is, you can't easily make the smaller case fit and it's hard to find out what case size they are when ordering online.
I wound up just throwing some new brushes and diodes at mine and it was good to go.
I have bought a Multi Metre and a Tester light, going to recharge the battery and then do some of my own trouble shooting before i take the part from the car, ill keep you posted. but if anyone knows a good replacement that with 100% fit in my car please link it please (pref in UK).
Old 12-15-2017, 10:41 AM
cadmaniac
CF Senior Member

I'd have a hard time believing that they changed out the whole front of the car.....Plus the interior to make it an '85. I Strongly suspect it's an '85 ish with a bunch of '95 parts on it.

All the computer systems on a '95 are different so all the harnesses would have to be changed. That's a LOT of work.

Still a nice vette though.

Last edited by cadmaniac; 12-15-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Jordan Davies

Hey guys sorry i have been inactive, been spending some time with the family.
I have just bought some fuses to replace the ones i have regardless if they work or not, but i have a test light and a multi metre to do further tests.

The car now (hard to explain) but you know when you start the ignition theirs like a sound like only why i can say it is like grinding (not mechanical grinding like issue) but where things start to move then after a split second theirs a small explosion sound and its running.

Basically i have that but without the explosion to start the car, i hope this all makes sense...
once the car starts i can then work on the alternator because the test light shows the alternator is getting power and working but i am unable to test if it is actually charging until i get it to start.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:39 PM
Jordan Davies

I am going to look into removing and replacing all the spark plugs because in all honesty with no service history i think they are well over due, when i replace them i will post images of them and you guys can let me know if you can see any potential faults hidden within through the spark plug condition.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Hammerhead69
CF Senior Member

I just joined the forum & just now noticing this thread. I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it yet but the data plate with the engine info on it says that it’s an L-98 with 230 hp. I think that would make it an 87;or earlier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 (L98) Parts help

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: