C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hub stud is turning with the lugnut

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 05:04 PM
dj247046
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub stud is turning with the lugnut

I had the craziest thing happen last week. I was removing my driver side rear wheel to replace the parking break pads when I couldn't get one of my lug nuts off. After getting more leverage the nut started turning, but the stud was turning with it. :( The wheel won't come off and the lug nut is recessed in to the rim. The only options I can come up with are: drilling though 2 sides of the lug nut and breaking it off or trying to drill the stud out. I'm thinking the lugs nut method would be easier because it is a softer metal. Any other sugestions? Also, I imagine the hub is ruined, are they hard to replace?

Thanks,

-Dave
Old 10-10-2002, 05:40 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Re: Hub stud is turning with the lugnut (dj247046)

Here's what I would do. Sounds kinda scary but its all I could think of. With the car jacked up, remove the other four lug nuts. Now rotate the stuck one to the 6 o'clock position. Now grasp the top of the tire and pull it towards you as you break the stud. I can't guarantee it won't hurt the wheel, but I would think it would be okay as the wheels are tough. :eek:
Old 10-10-2002, 06:48 PM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

split the nut.

I dont know how to do it, other than a hammer and chisel, so I would take it to a wheel/tire shop and ask them to split it for me.
Then inspect the hub... maybe all you need is a new stud.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:12 PM
buzzbomb
Instructor

Can you tack weld the stud to the backing plate, I have no idea if there is access, but might be easier the drilling. I would soak the lug nut in penetrating oil also. Good Luck!!
Old 10-10-2002, 07:16 PM
1MoorTym
Drifting

Default Re: Hub stud is turning with the lugnut (buzzbomb)

These should be pressed in. Crack the off lug nut and replace the stud.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:08 AM
dj247046
Intermediate

I'm gonna try cracking the lug nut this weekend. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have any other options. Thanks again to all that replied. :)

-Dave
Old 10-11-2002, 01:16 AM
JonM
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would drill the stud, you run a risk of harming the wheel if you try splitting the nut. I would think the hub is fine....you most likely just stripped the stud. I had to drill out 4 of them on my car...the wheel lock stripped and I couldn't get the wheels off.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:22 AM
DaveD
Instructor

Default Re: Hub stud is turning with the lugnut (JonM)

If you haven't tried it with a high speed (read good quality 1/2") impact try that while pulling on the rim which may bind the stud up just enough for it to come off. Another option is to drill two smaller holes (1/8"?), 180 degrees apart between the nut and stud (on the circumfrence where the threads intersect). This will essentialy cut into the nut and make it weak, then drill with a bigger drill (1/4"?) and then smack the nut by the drilled area with a chisel and split the nut.

BTW, someone mentioned drilling out a stripped locking nut, snap-on/matco makes a special socket to take off the locking nuts that are messed up, basically it is rough/tapered on the inside and it grips it on the outside circumference. Needa an impact though. 'Boogering up' a regular socket with a welder will do the same thing in a pinch (and its cheaper).
Old 10-11-2002, 11:46 AM
DRAGRACR
Pro

I had this happen a couple of months ago, and I had to tack weld the stud to the hub. You will have to rotate the hub to the right area where you have the most space. There is just enough room to tack weld it. I then had to just twist the stud in two. After that, I took a hammer and drove the broken stud out. I would try this first, due to the risk of damaging the wheel. :seeya

BTW : The hub is probabaly ok, due to the fact that the hub is a lot harder than the stud.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:59 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Hub stud is turning with the lugnut (DRAGRACR)

I had this happen once to me at the track and I ended up using a hammer drill and cutting most of the lug off the stud and was finally able to get the wheel off. I did damage my wheel in the process, but it has my ET Streets on it and makes little difference and it was only cosmetic. I tried taking it to a wheel shop but they said they could not get a tool on it.

The spot welding it from the back idea sounds like the best option with the least likelyhood of damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Hub stud is turning with the lugnut

Quick Reply: Hub stud is turning with the lugnut