C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Delete the Egr and crossover tube

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 10:11 PM
sansonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Delete the Egr and crossover tube

So my cross over tube for the egr has cracked! I have a 1986 corvette with a l31 vortect 350 with the special tpi intake so all the corvette stuff fits. The ones im finding on ebay look rough im wondering what it takes to delete the egr tube. I had PCM forless tune my chip for when i got this engine originally and it runs great but its throwing code 44 and i bet its cause that pipe is leaking exhaust. Thoughts ideas?
Old 12-25-2017, 01:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Code 44 is an AFR code. That's caused by O2 sensor problems. In '86 the O2 sensor is on the driver's side, so anything that happens on the passenger side is not a factor in this situation. You would have to leak a LOT of exhaust for it to affect the engine operation. You're much more likely to have the O2 sensor wiring shorted to ground.
The following users liked this post:
JrRifleCoach (12-25-2017)
Old 01-17-2018, 05:14 PM
sansonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Code 44 is an AFR code. That's caused by O2 sensor problems. In '86 the O2 sensor is on the driver's side, so anything that happens on the passenger side is not a factor in this situation. You would have to leak a LOT of exhaust for it to affect the engine operation. You're much more likely to have the O2 sensor wiring shorted to ground.
Sorry for the long delay life got in the way. My header gaskets on the driver side were bad and leaking. I went ahead and replaced my o2 sensor, egr crossover tube, spark plugs, and the header gaskets. That solved that problem for now car runs great.

Get notified of new replies

To Delete the Egr and crossover tube

Quick Reply: Delete the Egr and crossover tube