C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
-And the best part about these T-stat threads; nobody knows how to provide the proper (°) symbol
Do tell. Teach us ignorant cretins.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:08 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I get it. You think that my coolant going 14* over the T-stat cracking point is proof that the stat has no control or influence on operating temps. For the seconds that it was above about 190, you're right. For that brief moment, in 104* ambient temps, with the AC on, the coolant temp was outside of the realm of T-stat control.

Conversely, I feel that this particular example is evidence that supports my point; that the cooling system should be able to drive coolant temps "down against the stat" most all of the time. I feel that this example supports that b/c even in 104* ambient temps, with the AC on, the temp was mostly down in the range where the stat is regulating flow and thus op temp. My point is that the conditions were borderline "extreme".

So we obviously interpret the data differently, but I can tell you from experience that with a healthy cooling system a lower stat will typically result in lower op temps. 104*F ambient temps isn't typical, IMO.

I totally agree with you. We are saying the same thing, just not reading each other. My point is this. I have never said that thermostats do not influence temperature. Nowhere. What I HAVE said is that they control the minimum
temperature. If you put a 180 in, you are telling the cooling system, "keep things at a minimum of 180". If you put in a 170, you are saying "keep things at a minimum 170". If the cooling system(radiator) has the ability, it will do so - no argument. The key word is ability. My contention is that the thermostat has no ability whatsoever to stop the temps from rising above the set point. That task falls strickly on the ability of the cooling system to get rid of the heat and bring it down to the minimum, the rating of the thermostat. You made the point about the 160 in your racecar and I previously agreed with you. Did not doubt you for a minute. But I do not think because you put the 160 in, that was the controlling factor. In your racecar case, it went to 160 because the cooling system(again, radiator) had the ABILITY to take it down that low. If you put a 140 in(don't know if they exist) would the temps fall to that? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the capacity of the radiator. If it doesn't have the capacity, the 140 thermostat is not going to stop it from climbing higher than that.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:14 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

With the upgraded cooling system I'm running, when I did put a 160 degree stat in my car, it would run at 172 degrees when fully warmed up, this was way to cool.. When I installed the 180 degree stat my car now runs right around 180 degrees, which is fine for the street...If I remove the stat completely and run the car, it again runs at or around 172 degrees, the same as with a 160 degree stat..Evidently my cars actual running temperture for the cooling system I have is 172 degrees with an ambient air temperture of around 75 degrees ...All the temps quoted above are at cruising speed..I have just about everything on my 89 cooling system upgraded to give the best cooing available ,actually it cools better now then I need it to, and I had to use a higher temp stat to raise the temperture up....WW

Last edited by WW7; 01-04-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:24 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I did everything in this article with the exception of the adjustable FPR and the K&N filter. A 160' stat was part of it. Did it make a difference? Hell, I couldn't tell ya.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...ngine-buildup/
Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by arbee
I totally agree with you. We are saying the same thing, just not reading each other. My point is this. I have never said that thermostats do not influence temperature. Nowhere. What I HAVE said is that they control the minimum
temperature. If you put a 180 in, you are telling the cooling system, "keep things at a minimum of 180". If you put in a 170, you are saying "keep things at a minimum 170". If the cooling system(radiator) has the ability, it will do so - no argument. The key word is ability. My contention is that the thermostat has no ability whatsoever to stop the temps from rising above the set point. That task falls strickly on the ability of the cooling system to get rid of the heat and bring it down to the minimum, the rating of the thermostat. You made the point about the 160 in your racecar and I previously agreed with you. Did not doubt you for a minute. But I do not think because you put the 160 in, that was the controlling factor. In your racecar case, it went to 160 because the cooling system(again, radiator) had the ABILITY to take it down that low. If you put a 140 in(don't know if they exist) would the temps fall to that? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the capacity of the radiator. If it doesn't have the capacity, the 140 thermostat is not going to stop it from climbing higher than that.
I got you. I guess I totally misunderstood what you were originally saying. My bad.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

I got you. I guess I totally misunderstood what you were originally saying. My bad.
All good.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Do tell. Teach us ignorant cretins.
OK; alt-248= °
OR; alt-0176 = °

there are a but load of symbols accessible from our keypad. this is one example..

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...2ad78c5154a505

Last edited by desertmike1; 01-04-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Cool. Thanks! °

Old 01-05-2018, 10:16 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
OK; alt-248= °
OR; alt-0176 = °

there are a but load of symbols accessible from our keypad. this is one example..

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...2ad78c5154a505
I don't know that you can 'assume' that anywhere near the majority of respondents are using M$ product. I don't have issues with the ° but it's wrong to assume everyone has a 'numeric keypad'. I don't have one on most devices..
Old 01-05-2018, 10:37 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I don't know that you can 'assume' that anywhere near the majority of respondents are using M$ product. I don't have issues with the ° but it's wrong to assume everyone has a 'numeric keypad'. I don't have one on most devices..
Android using SwiftKey has ° so I can still use °F or °C
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Lets put this into perspective. If you had an electric water pump that didn't mind operating at variable speed settings, you would ideally run without a thermostat for minimal water resistance to flow. You would run it just fast enough to constantly maintain the ideal temperature. And maybe only very very slowly at initial startup, just enough to prevent hot spots from forming.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Lets put this into perspective. If you had an electric water pump that didn't mind operating at variable speed settings, you would ideally run without a thermostat for minimal water resistance to flow. You would run it just fast enough to constantly maintain the ideal temperature. And maybe only very very slowly at initial startup, just enough to prevent hot spots from forming.
Sure. But you must also be willing to pay for the cost of having a computer controlled fan.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:40 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
Sure. But you must also be willing to pay for the cost of having a computer controlled fan.
Exactly. What's a thermostat - $5.00?
Old 01-06-2018, 02:43 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Way to take it the wrong way. The perspective was to show what a thermostat does and why it wouldn't be necessary to use in that situation.

The rate of the water pump moving water depends on water pump rpm, not the engine's needs for cooling. So it spins whether the engine needs to be cooled or not. That is why there is a thermostat. If you had an electric pump you wouldn't need to spin the pump when the engine didn't need much cooling, if you could cycle it like with pulseable electronics or with a variable resistance electric motor.

It was supposed to be an example to help you learn what a thermostat does (for those who dont 'get it' yet)

It wasn't meant to be a positive bump for electric water pumps lol. Electric water pumps are the farthest thing from desirable, I would avoid one at all costs if possible.

Also whats this about electric fans? Car since 1989 have electric fans. Every sequential EFI and even most of the ancient batch fire units will control an electric fan. The OEM computer I just tuned for a chevrolet 5.3L 2002 model has two outputs for two electric fans. Its not something I would normally even consider "dismiss able".

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 01-06-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Way to take it the wrong way. The perspective was to show what a thermostat does and why it wouldn't be necessary to use in that situation.

The rate of the water pump moving water depends on water pump rpm, not the engine's needs for cooling. So it spins whether the engine needs to be cooled or not. That is why there is a thermostat. If you had an electric pump you wouldn't need to spin the pump when the engine didn't need much cooling, if you could cycle it like with pulseable electronics or with a variable resistance electric motor.

It was supposed to be an example to help you learn what a thermostat does (for those who dont 'get it' yet)

It wasn't meant to be a positive bump for electric water pumps lol. Electric water pumps are the farthest thing from desirable, I would avoid one at all costs if possible.

Also whats this about electric fans? Car since 1989 have electric fans. Every sequential EFI and even most of the ancient batch fire units will control an electric fan. The OEM computer I just tuned for a chevrolet 5.3L 2002 model has two outputs for two electric fans. Its not something I would normally even consider "dismiss able".
Actually not all EFI cars use an electric fan. Several of my BMW's are mechanical fan cars. My 2000 323i and my X5 are both mechanical fan cars.

I agree on electric water pumps being a bad idea that shouldn't of happened. I avoid them like the plague.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:54 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

If anyone wants to see how the thermostat actually works (which Im sure most know already but some may not) you can see how it works here :

http://crowz.narmir.com/vehicles/198...and-replacing/
Old 01-06-2018, 07:57 AM
crowz
Melting Slicks

As for my 2 cents on it all you need is enough heat to keep the motor in closed loop.

Also cool enough to avoid dieseling, spark knock and melted heads.

Anything in between is the goldilocks zone.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat question

Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I agree with you on variable water pump. It's just that unless you commission something like that, it is hard to get it done because they are pinching pennies to keep the cost down so it will not get done. Otherwise, I like the concept
Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Komiller118
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Guess I am a dumbA$$..............
I hope I get this much input when I replace my PKE module and factory stereo........................
Old 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by crowz
Actually not all EFI cars use an electric fan. Several of my BMW's are mechanical fan cars. My 2000 323i and my X5 are both mechanical fan cars.

I agree on electric water pumps being a bad idea that shouldn't of happened. I avoid them like the plague.
The car may yet have an electric fan hidden behind the condenser. The mechanical fans/pumps are the most reliable units and preferable for street cars in almost any scenario, which is why the OEM tend to use them. I would definitely keep the mechanical version working if possible.

It just worth mentioning that often there is a smaller, "hidden" electric fan. nissan 240sx for example uses mechanical fan. But the computer has a twin-output for low and high speed electric fan hidden down below where you can't see it on the condenser. Those outputs could be used for a "larger electric fan" if you configured the ECU for it.

Another thing to consider is, sometimes the ECU has a fan output even when the electrical fan isn't present on that model. So you still may have the capability to activate an electric fan using the factory computer, even when you don't originally see an electrical fan present. I would check the service manual for all models and look for ECU pinouts.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 01-06-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Thermostat question