C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Proper connection of intank wires to fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 09:27 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Proper connection of intank wires to fuel pump?

Hi all. I am redoing my fuel sending unit wire with the racetronix kit. Since I'm using a different fuel pump than a 255 walbro, I still have to connect the harness to my fuel pump harness. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking butt connectors with shrink wrap but I don't know how that stuff will last in fuel. Any suggestions on how to do this with locally available stuff?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:09 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Nearly everyone that sells a pigtail for the in-tank pump supplies it with butt-connectors. Even Walbro I believe does this. Racetronix even has a note with theirs mentioning 'fuel rated'. There's many varieties of splice connectors(not butt-connectors) including a crimp splice that has a sleeve that slips over and shrinks. You should have no trouble buying quality local.

If local includes marine or small aircraft maintenance houses for sure no issues.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-03-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:06 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the great info as usual. I was able to get the butt connectors with the heat shrink wrap from pep boys so I'm all set!
Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The RX comes with a butt splice/crimp connector for the purple fuel wire that is fuel rated.

I ended up having to solder.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:29 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

I would solder the wires and then heat-shrink them. That is one place you don't want any sparks!

If I have something that has to be removed or disconnected then I use POSI-LOCKS. After connecting the with a Posi-lock I then heat shrink it.

Soldering if done correctly would be the most permanent way to connect wires. Just remember to put the heat-shrink over one of the two wires before you solder the connection.

Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Thanks for the great info as usual. I was able to get the butt connectors with the heat shrink wrap from pep boys so I'm all set!
Use Nylon butt splices only.
Heatshrink tubing will dissolve in gas.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi all. I am redoing my fuel sending unit wire with the racetronix kit. Since I'm using a different fuel pump than a 255 walbro, I still have to connect the harness to my fuel pump harness. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking butt connectors with shrink wrap but I don't know how that stuff will last in fuel. Any suggestions on how to do this with locally available stuff?
This topic has been covered before in our support forum.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:17 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racetronix
This topic has been covered before in our support forum.
man, I don't know if I missed a link, but how do I get to your support forum? I just saw the faq's for orders and shipping.

thanks!

About the butt connectors. I got the "weatherproof" butt connectors from Pep boys (as opposed to a standard butt connector and then doing shrink wrap over it). Are these okay to use?

https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...247?quantity=1
Old 01-05-2018, 02:24 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I got the "weatherproof" butt connectors from Pep boys (as opposed to a standard butt connector and then doing shrink wrap over it). Are these okay to use?

https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...247?quantity=1
First inclination is to say NOT - even in their presentation they mention ' several different available'. I'd shop elsewhere. Shrink needs to pass the test also for fuel.

You should be able to find something spec'd for fuel, maybe similar to these. NAPA maybe a 'fleet' supplier or other.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Perma!...12022.h_812023

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-05-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Proper connection of intank wires to fuel pump?

Quick Reply: Proper connection of intank wires to fuel pump?