C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What is the cheapest/most reasonable route to this sound

Old 01-04-2018, 06:54 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Default What is the cheapest/most reasonable route to this sound

This is it, the holy grail of v8 sounds in my book. It sounds exactly as did my 96 scca gt1 car.

Maybe you guys can help me get there. Here is my concern: can it be streetable? I live in SC so emissions/inspections no issue but it needs to be driveable.

Put on your head phones and ENJOY. Perhaps the answer to my question is just listen to this audio and dont frankenstein my 100% stock 96.

"Sound of 92 LT1 with HotCam kit, LT headers, RT bullet cats, X-pipe, and CorvetteCentral High Output Turbo mufflers. Runs 12.50 @ 108 quarter mile. Passes emissions."

Why long tube headers on a lt1? Seems like a waste of money? how much does it contribute to the sound hear here?

Last edited by barchetta1; 01-04-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Eh I wouldn’t call that the holy grail of V8 sounds by a long shot. As a matter of fact Chevy V8s are some of the worst sounding V8s-especially axle back muffled cars plus the siamesed exhaust valves and firing order.
Long tubes are ALWAYS an upgrade as far as power and sound and never a waste of money.
The Ford V8s are WAY better sounding BTW.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I like it , it sounds old school. Not like the new ones.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:01 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 333 Posts

"Sound of 92 LT1 with HotCam kit, LT headers, RT bullet cats, X-pipe, and CorvetteCentral High Output Turbo mufflers. Runs 12.50 @ 108 quarter mile. Passes emissions."

Why long tube headers on a lt1? Seems like a waste of money? how much does it contribute to the sound hear here?[/QUOTE]

..... The recipe is in your 1st post ? ... Did your SCCA GT1 car not have headers ? ..... You love the sound yet you question the means of achieving it ? ... .....

Last edited by C409; 01-04-2018 at 08:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cjunkie (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:45 AM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Eh I wouldn’t call that the holy grail of V8 sounds by a long shot. As a matter of fact Chevy V8s are some of the worst sounding V8s-especially axle back muffled cars plus the siamesed exhaust valves and firing order.
Long tubes are ALWAYS an upgrade as far as power and sound and never a waste of money.
Totally agree. I can almost guess 100% when a nice Mustang is driving up the road. I never understood why the GM engines sound so sterile to me -- thanks for the explanation. I have added a cold air intake and gutted the stock cats on my 89 and it sounds much better, but it's still not head turning better.

Buuuut....the best to my ears is the modern Chrysler Hemi. My 6.1 liter SRT8 with stock exhaust sounds amazing at idle, quiet while cruising, and all hell is breaking loose at full foot. This car needs no muffler work from the factory, in my opinion. And the stock air filter box is open to the ground so you actually hear both ends at the same time. Music.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:37 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

When I think mustang sound I think kid I went to high school with that slapped a set of flowmasters on it and said race car. All show no go. I always thought that they sounded weak. Probably because flowmasters. So that would be 13-14 so most of the kids had 02-07 mustangs... The 4.6 had a very unique sound to it. The flat plane in the gt350r I really don't care for. Reminds me of a weed eater... Just really pissed off. Some people like that. I respect it but it's not me. I like the fox body sound.

As a side note the 302 and 350 firing order are the same. The 302 ho is different as was the Windsor I believe? I don't think that has as much as an effect as head and chamber shape, induction, etc. Just saying.

As for the question, throw in a hot cam and you're most of the way there.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 01-04-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
When I think mustang sound I think kid I went to high school with that slapped a set of flowmasters on it and said race car. All show no go. I always thought that they sounded weak. Probably because flowmasters. So that would be 13-14 so most of the kids had 02-07 mustangs... The 4.6 had a very unique sound to it. The flat plane in the gt350r I really don't care for. Reminds me of a weed eater... Just really pissed off. Some people like that. I respect it but it's not me. I like the fox body sound.

As a side note the 302 and 350 firing order are the same. The 302 ho is different as was the Windsor I believe? I don't think that has as much as an effect as head and chamber shape, induction, etc. Just saying.

Ah, so the Fox Body had the 5.0? That's the one that turns my head. Not with open pipes or something outrageous, just good quality exhaust system.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:09 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rblakeney
Ah, so the Fox Body had the 5.0? That's the one that turns my head. Not with open pipes or something outrageous, just good quality exhaust system.
5.0, 302 same thing. Those always had a unique sound. Very 80s and you could always tell a fox body. You could switch to the ho firing order with a cam swap but iirc factory firing order, while numbered different, follows the same loop around the block as a Chevy. Pretty sure.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:59 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Eh, I didnt say it was your holy grail, I said it was in my book.

Now, did you have something to contribute to this thread?
Old 01-04-2018, 02:00 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rblakeney
Totally agree. I can almost guess 100% when a nice Mustang is driving up the road. I never understood why the GM engines sound so sterile to me -- thanks for the explanation. I have added a cold air intake and gutted the stock cats on my 89 and it sounds much better, but it's still not head turning better.

Buuuut....the best to my ears is the modern Chrysler Hemi. My 6.1 liter SRT8 with stock exhaust sounds amazing at idle, quiet while cruising, and all hell is breaking loose at full foot. This car needs no muffler work from the factory, in my opinion. And the stock air filter box is open to the ground so you actually hear both ends at the same time. Music.
Anything to contribute to this thread? I did not ask for an opinion, this is MY holy grail.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:22 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Anything to contribute to this thread? I did not ask for an opinion, this is MY holy grail.
I did -- it's just buried in my opinion.

I started by adding a cold air intake (for the sound) and gutted both the pre-catalysts and the main. Actually, the precats dumped their guts into the center main one so I had to empty the entire mess anyway. I am in a rural county in Texas, so we do not have emissions testing either.

Stayed with the stock exhaust otherwise. Better sound at idle. Much better at full throttle, but I cannot say that it is as loud as your video. This is a pretty inexpensive way to get started and I will probably not touch it again until the original exhaust rots apart.

Another thing I did was add the Blockit sound deadening mats to the rear hatch area. These things actually work well to attenuate the wind and road noise so that the exhaust sound comes through. I am surprised how well they work for this and it was unexpected.

My car is an 89 with the L98 engine, so your video of an LT1 may not apply.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 84 4+3

221-302 have the same firing order as a 350
302HO, 351W, 351C have a different firing order and it took GM 30 years to copy Fords valve arrangement (LS1).
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C409

Why long tube headers on a lt1? Seems like a waste of money? how much does it contribute to the sound hear here?

..... The recipe is in your 1st post ? ... Did your SCCA GT1 car not have headers ? ..... You love the sound yet you question the means of achieving it ? ... .....[/QUOTE]

Be careful, your education level is showing here.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:36 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

moderator.. please close this thread. I will look for the information elsewhere. I thought this would be a fun discussion. It turned out to be the opposite.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

moderator.. please close this thread. I will look for the information elsewhere. I thought this would be a fun discussion. It turned out to be the opposite.
You gotta chill out a little. This is an open public forum, and when you post a topic you may get answers you don't like. Do what I do, ignore the stuff you don't like and move on. If you don't reply to them it stops, kinda takes two to tango. Just calm down and have some fun anyway.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:49 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Post 2 = "Long tubes are ALWAYS an upgrade as far as power and sound"

Post 5 = "cold air intake and gutted the stock cats"

Post 6 = "throw in a hot cam and you're most of the way there"

Post 11 = "Blockit sound deadening" (this is kinda cheating since this only works from the inside of the car")

Four ideas for you but they are spread out. I don't know, but this conversation looks/sounds like one that would be had by anyone sitting around a BBQ with beer. Just talkin' cars and I think that is fun.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:11 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randy M
You gotta chill out a little. This is an open public forum, and when you post a topic you may get answers you don't like. Do what I do, ignore the stuff you don't like and move on. If you don't reply to them it stops, kinda takes two to tango. Just calm down and have some fun anyway.

I guess I tool offense to everyone crapping on my discovery of what I like and want. I'll try and just let it roll off.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the cheapest/most reasonable route to this sound

Old 01-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Roflmao! Its is a fun discussion for everyone BUT you seems like.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

221-302 have the same firing order as a 350
302HO, 351W, 351C have a different firing order and it took GM 30 years to copy Fords valve arrangement (LS1).
That's what I thought. But now was it really 30 years or just enough time to get their money worth out of the tooling?

Back to the op. But seriously the turbo mufflers actually remind me of flow masters which I only like on certain cars. I never really liked magnaflows either until I heard my uncle's 400 67 firebird. You hear it ad literally feel the ground thump. Shakes the whole damn house too. No matter what you do, if you don't do a cam swap to some similar cam you won't get that sound. Headers and muffler will get you the loudness and rasp but the cam defines the total sound. Throaty, deep etc. In my opinion don't change just for sound. Throw on a set of cutouts or remove the mufflers and see how you like that first then do cutouts. It may get you in your ballpark. You never know. Try the free things first.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

I just listened to the video, that actually does sound very good to me as well. You're obviously going to need a cam to get that rumpty-rump idle. The deep idle tone is likely largely a product of the long tubes. When he revs it you get that higher pitched exotic tone, that'd be coming from the X pipe. If you want that exact sound you'd need to duplicate what he did completely. If you want to try to skip the long tubes I'd probably say do the cam and X Pipe and then you'd need to experiment with either muffler eliminators or possibly the turbo mufflers to see if you can get close to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the cheapest/most reasonable route to this sound