C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Getting the most out of an exhaust system LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:59 AM
Vernamul
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the most out of an exhaust system LT1

I am in need of a exhaust system, and have done a fair amount of research. I have found various types of systems cat back and header back like: BBE, Magnaflow, Stainless Works and Borla seem the most common. My question is for a stock engine that has minimal performance upgrades. Aside from a bigger throttle body and updated filter along side a few other small upgrades, is installing headers long or short tube worth it at this stage or is manifolds a better route? Car has both a.i.r and erg. Thanks
Old 01-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

In my view:

1) unless your engine is putting out more than 400 rwhp your stock LT1 dual exhaust is not really restrictive. Thus I don't see you gaining any significant performance increase from the expense of replacing the exhaust.

2) All other things being equal a pair of long tube headers paired with the stock cat-back exhaust will produce a much more pleasing "sound" than stock exhaust manifolds with an aftermarket cat-back system.

3) If at some point in the future you're going to increase the volume throughput of the engine; the long tube headers will prove to have been a more valuable investment than an aftermarket cat back system.

Please note that all of the above is worth only $0.02
The following users liked this post:
DGXR (01-10-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 06:30 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I agree that the stock LT1 exhaust is not to bad, so improvements with headers will not be very much.

However, I have had good results with headers on everything I put them on (a bunch of cars). It helps for both performance and economy without sacrificing any reliability. So I generally like them for the first mod.

On my current C4's I do not have headers, but have Borla and Corsa exhausts. To me they both changed the sound, but not much in performance.

In short it is your preference. If you are planning more mods then headers are a good 1st step. If you only want a different sound then a cat back or mufflers or eliminators work for less money. If you are wanting a different sound, try listening to as many as you can so you can make a better choice than the internet videos that never sound like the real thing to me.

Good luck in your choice.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

I built an engine for a 93 vert that made over 460RWHP and the car runs high 10s @ 125mph N/A.... with the stock exhaust system in place. EM long tubes, no cats with 2.5" connectors off the headers welded to the resonator. Sounds great as well... nice rumble but not obnoxious. We have also had a Magnaflow axle back on the car with no difference in power only sound.

The stock LT1 exhaust is capable of far more than most any of you will ever do.

If you just want to change the sound, I recommend Corsa. On a stock or near stock engine, Its quite at idle, quiet at part throttle and loud at WOT. Be aware that Corsa can be very obnoxious if you have a real engine however...
Will

Last edited by rklessdriver; 01-06-2018 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bill Chase (03-12-2021)
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 PM
0Magna_Flow
Former Vendor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Vernamul, pairing an aftermarket exhaust and long tube headers will give you the best power gains, but also raise the overall volume of the car quite a bit. If you wanted something with a nice, deep sound that's still comfortable for daily driving, we would recommend our Street catback #16837. If there are any exhaust questions we can help with, please feel free to shoot us a call or PM!

Last edited by Magna_Flow; 01-09-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

I usually prefer stock exhaust with a cutout.

This way it can cruise silent and only makes noise when you want.

a single exhaust, 3" cutout hanging off a reasonable sized turbine can make over 800 horsepower when open, and deathly silent when shut for cruising. No need to have a large exhaust system on a car. Or noisy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kingtal0n:
Bill Chase (03-12-2021), DGXR (01-10-2018)
Old 03-12-2021, 03:30 PM
Bill Chase
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
I built an engine for a 93 vert that made over 460RWHP and the car runs high 10s @ 125mph N/A.... with the stock exhaust system in place. EM long tubes, no cats with 2.5" connectors off the headers welded to the resonator. Sounds great as well... nice rumble but not obnoxious. We have also had a Magnaflow axle back on the car with no difference in power only sound.

The stock LT1 exhaust is capable of far more than most any of you will ever do.

If you just want to change the sound, I recommend Corsa. On a stock or near stock engine, Its quite at idle, quiet at part throttle and loud at WOT. Be aware that Corsa can be very obnoxious if you have a real engine however...
Will
Not doubting you at all, your reputation here and other boards precedes you sir! But of these examples you have used of the typical 400-440 rwhp c4's how much fast do you think they would have been if they had 3" extensions with dumps at the proper length? Or with a full 3" system in place? The resonator and mufflers in back choke down to a 2.4** inlet and outlet. The pipes aren't horrible, but even replacing with good mandrel bent pipe of the same size, and resonator that doesn't choke down would almost have to improve power output wouldn't it?
Seems like basically anything factory over 400 rwhp now days has at least a 2.75" system and we'll designed straight through mufflers. What would you consider the cutoff point of the 92-96 oe exhaust system.. 450rwhp..500rwhp?
Old 03-12-2021, 06:00 PM
ervinc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im following a build on youtube, Its a 91 with a 420 cid solid roller running 10.7s with a 2 into 1 into 2 factory exhaust w headers and flowmasters., thats faster than i will ever want to run but it tells me a factory exhaust is under rated.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:52 AM
CharlieNC
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In conjunction with other work I took the opportunity to do a couple of free mods. I ported the exhaust manifold, removing quite a bit of overlapping material. According to Vizards tests this should provide a significant benefit, maybe 50% as much as headers. The cats were completely gutted, and remaining exhaust on the 96 is completely stock. For me the resulting sound is perfect, throaty but no obnoxious drone.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:38 AM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget high flow cats. That with headers are biggest gain. Only maybe 10hp from a catback vs stock.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting the most out of an exhaust system LT1

Quick Reply: Getting the most out of an exhaust system LT1