C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Nathan Lord
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default L98 Turbo

Anybody know of a complete turbo kit for a stock l98? I saw HP Performance provided one about 12 years ago, but sadly, it looks like they'e out of business. really sucks because I would've loved to have one of those. A different website advertising them and article for the turbo are still up, but their website and phone numbers I've found aren' working. anybody have more info on them or other turbo kits?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:47 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I have looked at this site before. the rear mount setup looks pretty cool. If you read through the different pages, they talk about L98's, LT1&4s and the ZR1's.

http://www.raptorllc.net
Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 AM
Nathan Lord
Intermediate

bump
Old 01-17-2018, 07:49 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts

More people should learn to weld. Building your own turbo kit takes ~10 hours with even the most marginal of welding skills.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:55 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
More people should learn to weld. Building your own turbo kit takes ~10 hours with even the most marginal of welding skills.
Its possible that time, money, equipment, desire, facilities ............ might stand in the way of this noble quest.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by arbee
Its possible that time, money, equipment, desire, facilities ............ might stand in the way of this noble quest.

Money doesn't work here. Fabricating one is less than half the cost of buying a kit.

Time doesn't either. Its a weekend project. Not a 2 year project.

Facilities doesn't either. If you have the space to install one, you have the space to build one. If you're having a shop install it, then equipment goes out the window too since they likely have the equipment to make one for you.

That leaves desire. But you're here wanting a turbo. So.....
The following users liked this post:
Atapia14 (12-23-2020)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would not want a turbo V8 as I imagine the lag would be enough to put you in the bushes. I would be looking at low profile superchargers like a procharger IMO. My buddy put a turbo on his NSX and you better be careful with that thing.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:46 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Turbo lag is a thing of the past. Turbos now are so efficient that they make more mid-range torque than superchargers. Comparing a 3 liter V6 to a turbo V8 doesn't even make sense.

I've made a complete twin turbo setup for an LS powered S10 for $800. The completely custom quad turbo setup on my corvette was $1500. Turbos are cheap now. Cheap enough that you can buy a cheap gas MIG and a chop saw, and still come out money ahead over buying a kit and WAY ahead over buying a procharger.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:53 AM
biggiefl
Racer

He is talking about a 12 year old turbo ad. I imagine the lag sucks. I own 3 cars with turbos and lag is non existent because they are modern along with modern transmissions. Comparing a V6 with 450hp at the wheels does not compare to what? I will guarantee he will embarrass a L98 with a turbo on it. However my twin turbo BMW takes him due to lag and my torque curve up to 130mph....then I am toast.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by biggiefl
He is talking about a 12 year old turbo ad. I imagine the lag sucks. I own 3 cars with turbos and lag is non existent because they are modern along with modern transmissions. Comparing a V6 with 450hp at the wheels does not compare to what? I will guarantee he will embarrass a L98 with a turbo on it. However my twin turbo BMW takes him due to lag and my torque curve up to 130mph....then I am toast.

You thinking that OEM turbo cars are comparable to aftermarket turbo cars is laughable.

A 450HP V6 doesn't compare to a 450 HP turbo V8. Power might be the same, but the V8 will make 150 ft-lbs more in the mid range and spool 1000 RPM sooner. The NSX will fall behind off the line and never catch back up.

Embarrass an L98 with a turbo? That's a pretty broad statement too. If you forged an L98 and was pushing 25 PSI with that turbo, it would have 800+ HP. Is he still going to embarrass it then? Is it not still an L98 with a turbo?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOATHE the L98, but I'm not an idiot. Having a factory turbocharged BMW doesn't make you a turbo expert either, obviously.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 AM
biggiefl
Racer

Well Mr expert, NSX never came with a turbo & don't assume my car is stock. A stock L98 is not going to make more than 400hp with a turbo, especially at the wheels. Don't make assumptions.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 AM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I encountered somebody on Facebook with a real interesting remote mount twin turbo setup. Here's a few pics

Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

using twins, a big and a small, helps overcome turbo lag. it is becoming very common in the turbo diesel world to use twins.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM
biggiefl
Racer

That is a sweet setup, just hope he never has to drop the rear with all that welding
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Money doesn't work here. Fabricating one is less than half the cost of buying a kit.

Time doesn't either. Its a weekend project. Not a 2 year project.

Facilities doesn't either. If you have the space to install one, you have the space to build one. If you're having a shop install it, then equipment goes out the window too since they likely have the equipment to make one for you.

That leaves desire. But you're here wanting a turbo. So.....
Au Contraire!

Money most definitely does enter into it. No one is doubting the fabrication by yourself is less money. Your statement was "more people should learn how to weld". How is that to be accomplished if you don't spend money in one form or another?

Time also enters into it. Once again, your statement was "learn to weld". Do you figure that happens on a Saturday afternoon well enough to perform an adequate job?

Equipment? You bet. "More people should learn to weld". Does this not require the purchase of equipment?

Desire? Are you trying to have us believe that because you want a turbo, you should automatically have the desire to become a welder? I think not! There is an old trades joke. What do you say to someone with a grade six education? Answer: "Nice weld".
Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

You must've skipped over the part where I said that Time/Equipment/Facilities don't matter much if you just have someone else make one for you. You don't have to buy equipment and the cost will probably be close to one of those 'kits' that are no longer available.

I'm saying more people need to learn how to weld because the majority of Corvette owners very much fit in that cliché of "Buy a bolt-on kit and then have someone else install it for you". Hot rodding is fairly far detached from the corvette community. People here tend to stray from the "Learn yourself out of necessity" mentality and gravitate towards the "Open your wallet and its taken care of" mindset.

Just throwing out a suggestion. Don't toss a turd in the punch bowl haha.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

You must've skipped over the part where I said that Time/Equipment/Facilities don't matter much if you just have someone else make one for you. You don't have to buy equipment and the cost will probably be close to one of those 'kits' that are no longer available.

I'm saying more people need to learn how to weld because the majority of Corvette owners very much fit in that cliché of "Buy a bolt-on kit and then have someone else install it for you". Hot rodding is fairly far detached from the corvette community. People here tend to stray from the "Learn yourself out of necessity" mentality and gravitate towards the "Open your wallet and its taken care of" mindset.
Even God requires you sell your soul to him in a "friendly takeover" so if you get someone to do it, either you are paying him cash or you are doing him favors to equal that. Or as they say, NILIF.

In the old days, the systems were fewer and less sophisticated (with the drawbacks, of course) so you can afford to do this or that yourself. Today, you would often have to choose a "bolt on" kit or spend more time messing with it to get it right. Some like to tinker with a project occupying a space in the garage, others like to drive the thing. There are those that will spend years restoring a car. There are those that just want to drive it.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 Turbo

Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by biggiefl
That is a sweet setup, just hope he never has to drop the rear with all that welding
I was expecting a V-Band or two! Seems to be the way to go with pipe setups
Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Just throwing out a suggestion. Don't toss a turd in the punch bowl haha.
I guess that's the nice thing about living in a supposedly free country. If people here have the "Open your wallet and its taken care of mindset", then they are more than free to do so. Methinks most people have the ability to brainstorm the alternatives and make their choices.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:34 AM
Nathan Lord
Intermediate

So after discussions of learning to weld, fabricating a setup, turbo lag, NSX vs BMW vs L98, and rear turbos, I'll reiterate the question... does anyone know if the hp performance kit is still around, or if anyone else makes one?

everyone has an opinion but I wasn't looking to start various pissing matches. I'm a 20 y/o kid about to graduate college, and I want to treat myself once I'm done. I've had an 88 auto triple black convertible l98 since I was 17. it's been sitting in my dad's garage while ive been in school. wasn't my dream car but dad's friend made me a hell of a deal and I fell in love with it. I'd like to make it my own with some more power and slap a turbo on it is all. I don't have the time/skill/money to make it myself or have it installed. that's why I was looking for a kit that I could put on it myself in the garage with the help of some friends.

Last edited by Nathan Lord; 01-18-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: L98 Turbo