C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a bulletproof IRS for the C4, assuming had a need?
Yes, i would be interested
67.57%
No, I'd rather just put a straight axle in
8.11%
Maybe, especially if it were available individually
13.51%
Only if it were cheaper than a straight axle
10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

A truly Bolt in Bulletproof IRS, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:32 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
There's more tunnel clearance in the C4 than most think. There was GREATLY more room in there than on ANY of the other cars I've built in the last few years.

I imagine sticking even a 4L80e in there wouldn't be much of a challenge physically.
Been done a number of times. I've got a friend with a Callaway running a 4l80e. Someone used to make a tailshaft to adapt to the c-beam. Art Carr did his conversion.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:18 AM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

I’m thinking he may be talking about a 6L80E.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:38 AM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts

6L80e might fit. Controlling one is a very very different story. Aftermarket controls for them are fairly marginal at best, and there is no other way..
Old 01-18-2018, 02:05 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JoeNova
6L80e might fit. Controlling one is a very very different story. Aftermarket controls for them are fairly marginal at best, and there is no other way..
Yea, that’s. Or anything I have a desire to fool with. I’m just trying to figure out manual clutch linkage for a jerico. 😈
Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

WVZR-1, tried to return your message. I’ll PM you on here.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If a bracket is made to use the batwing and trailing arm bracket locations to mount it to the frame. The mounting tabs at trailing arm brackets would be just be say 1/4" plate. The bracket mounts the c3 diff or 8.8. Since c3 uses similar rear suspension , it would require less fab work. A simple torque arm could be made to support transmission attaching to differential supporting bracket.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:40 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

To the OP. If you can get a nice working prototype I think thik would be really cool. I don't have enough HP to need it at this time but it would be great to know the option exists.

As you already know there is likely just a very small market for this product although all the hot rods running around with C4 suspensions might also take an interest in it.... I'm sure there would be a few people that would want it though.

For all those who say there is no point working to improve an obsolete platform, feel free go buy an new car for yourself then. Some people enjoy re-engineering older stuff to work better for the challenge of it and for fun. It doesn't have to be a business it can be just for fun and if he sells a few parts to other people than all the better. Not sure why everyone is so negative about it. He has already said this is not his main business, proabbly just a fun hobby for him and if he makes a few buck all the better. I enjoy re-designing stuff so I get why he want to do this.

Wish you all the best with this project OP hope you can get it all figured out!
The following users liked this post:
vetteman9368 (01-19-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
To the OP. If you can get a nice working prototype I think thik would be really cool. I don't have enough HP to need it at this time but it would be great to know the option exists.

As you already know there is likely just a very small market for this product although all the hot rods running around with C4 suspensions might also take an interest in it.... I'm sure there would be a few people that would want it though.

For all those who say there is no point working to improve an obsolete platform, feel free go buy an new car for yourself then. Some people enjoy re-engineering older stuff to work better for the challenge of it and for fun. It doesn't have to be a business it can be just for fun and if he sells a few parts to other people than all the better. Not sure why everyone is so negative about it. He has already said this is not his main business, proabbly just a fun hobby for him and if he makes a few buck all the better. I enjoy re-designing stuff so I get why he want to do this.

..... ... Well Said ! ... Build the prototype and learn from the process ... Its all about finding solutions to "problems" real or perceived ... I can tell you first hand that this is a tough crowd .....
Old 01-21-2018, 03:19 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Depends on price, what comes with it/beefed up, gear ratio, weight, design in just anout that order.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:47 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

hey vetteman9368, you came on here with your dream candle burning and everyone started pissing on it !
dont be put off by the naysayers, keep at it.
some of the suggestions (eg 8.8 housing) are useful tho.
Im amazed by how many c4 people are on the c4 forum bagging the cars and owners, saying there is no future in the car. But keep in mind the current market for resto modding etc on 50's 60's and 70's cars - its only a matter of time before the 80's cars are next, and then you will have a market !
Old 01-22-2018, 01:40 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ

This.

I have plans to add more power upgrades to my C4. I can't afford them right now, and it needs the transmission rebuilt or replaced. I've already swapped in a 5.3 LS with forged steel connecting rods, and other things. Better cylinder heads, and camshaft are planned. Maybe some kind of FI. I have a C5 too, and I would rather upgrade the C4. I also can't afford an upgrade like this right now, but I won't be putting a solid axle in the car.

I don't see how this kind of thing would be targeted at someone that buys a 3-7k car to drive. I can see it being for someone that has done similar things as I have like spending 8-10k+ swapping in an LS engine, changing the gear ratio, and suspension upgrades. I'm sure some of you will look at my post history, and call me a liar. Believe it or not. There is only one thing I used to lie about here, and it has nothing to do with my cars. I'm not sure being honest about it is a good idea, but I don't care anymore. If you think you need to know more than that, or details on why. You can PM and ask, but that doesn't mean I will answer.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by aDigitalPhantom
This.

I have plans to add more power upgrades to my C4. I can't afford them right now, and it needs the transmission rebuilt or replaced. I've already swapped in a 5.3 LS with forged steel connecting rods, and other things. Better cylinder heads, and camshaft are planned. Maybe some kind of FI. I have a C5 too, and I would rather upgrade the C4. I also can't afford an upgrade like this right now, but I won't be putting a solid axle in the car.

I don't see how this kind of thing would be targeted at someone that buys a 3-7k car to drive. I can see it being for someone that has done similar things as I have like spending 8-10k+ swapping in an LS engine, changing the gear ratio, and suspension upgrades. I'm sure some of you will look at my post history, and call me a liar. Believe it or not. There is only one thing I used to lie about here, and it has nothing to do with my cars. I'm not sure being honest about it is a good idea, but I don't care anymore. If you think you need to know more than that, or details on why. You can PM and ask, but that doesn't mean I will answer.
Sweet, sounds like an awesome car. Now we need some pics.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Sweet, sounds like an awesome car. Now we need some pics.
Of the car, not what he was lying about
Old 01-22-2018, 10:01 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

I have an 2005 LQ9 in my 85 vette. Works pretty good so far. Not sure on how well my dana 36 will take the engine, so I can relate.

I'm going to add force induction and a 408/416 stroker crank/billet rods/forged pistons into mine.

If I have to build a custom IRS ford 9in rear, so be it.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:36 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have many right now, and I need to take more pictures.

Still have more I need to do, but I haven't felt like working on it after the transmission failed. There are a lot of wiring issues I haven't fixed yet from the PO.

Originally Posted by drcook
Of the car, not what he was lying about
You could ask for them, but you can't have them. As what I used to lie about on automotive forums. It's not he, it's she. All I will say for why is extremely bad experiences because of the things I like. Yes, that means you can't have pictures of me.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 02-12-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:59 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I have an 2005 LQ9 in my 85 vette. Works pretty good so far. Not sure on how well my dana 36 will take the engine, so I can relate.

I'm going to add force induction and a 408/416 stroker crank/billet rods/forged pistons into mine.

If I have to build a custom IRS ford 9in rear, so be it.
..... Currie Enterprises offers a fabricated independent Ford 9" Carrier ... its not cheap ! .....
Old 02-13-2018, 10:29 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

I was looking at the Dutchman 9in IRS.
https://www.dutchmanaxles.com/irs-ho...-cv-style.html

Less money than the Currie. Everything would be custom build putting one in.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 PM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

6L80 will not fit
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594964882
Old 07-08-2018, 06:44 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
What's wrong with the IRS that the C4 is born with? Seems like it works well and is pretty tough. We don't see a lot of C4 drivetrain failures due to design or materials, only due to the abuse some of us put them through

If you're talking bulletproof for drag racing, I think that should be mentioned.
i agree

Quick Reply: A truly Bolt in Bulletproof IRS, yes or no?