C4 Corvette LT1 Bone Stock - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Corvette LT1 Bone Stock

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #1  
LT1 Man
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
LT1 Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default C4 Corvette LT1 Bone Stock

How fast is a 100% Bone Stock C4 Corvette with the LT1 Engine and 6-Speed Manual Transmission? (92-Up)

300 HP and 340 lb ft of Torque.

I want to know 0-60, top speed, and what it can still beat.
LT1 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #2  
Cjunkie
CF Senior Member
 
Cjunkie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Wooster OH
Posts: 2,099
Thanked 116 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Today it can still beat Camrys and Accords
Cjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #3  
QCVette
CF Senior Member
 
QCVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2009
Location: Mclean IL
Posts: 5,408
Thanked 277 Times in 246 Posts
Default

In the '92 owner's video, GM stated they would run 13.7 at 103. The video did not say auto or 6 speed, but I would guess the 6 speed.

In the '94 and '95 owner's video they stated the coupe with the 6 speed would run under 14 seconds and stated the convertible may add about 1/2 second due mostly to aerodynamics.

In practice, there are a lot that run mid 13's. It also takes some practice to run good. It is not unusual to see them in the 14's (or more) due to the driver.

For what they can still beat... take a look at a lot of road tests. They can still beat a lot of cars. Like said above, Camrys and Accords, but also some better ones too. My '94 6 speed would easily beat my '06 Charger R/T from a roll or on the highway. From a stop the Charger was just too heavy. There are a lot of newer performance cars that should beat the LT1 C4's too. If you are planning a lot of racing or that is your main purpose for the car, plan on making mods or start with a different car.

Good luck.
QCVette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QCVette For This Useful Post:
DGXR (01-22-2018), LT1 Man (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #4  
LT1 Man
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
LT1 Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 25
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCVette View Post
In the '92 owner's video, GM stated they would run 13.7 at 103. The video did not say auto or 6 speed, but I would guess the 6 speed.

In the '94 and '95 owner's video they stated the coupe with the 6 speed would run under 14 seconds and stated the convertible may add about 1/2 second due mostly to aerodynamics.

In practice, there are a lot that run mid 13's. It also takes some practice to run good. It is not unusual to see them in the 14's (or more) due to the driver.

For what they can still beat... take a look at a lot of road tests. They can still beat a lot of cars. Like said above, Camrys and Accords, but also some better ones too. My '94 6 speed would easily beat my '06 Charger R/T from a roll or on the highway. From a stop the Charger was just too heavy. There are a lot of newer performance cars that should beat the LT1 C4's too. If you are planning a lot of racing or that is your main purpose for the car, plan on making mods or start with a different car.

Good luck.
I chose the C4 because I just want a cruising toy to look cool in and I don't really plan to race that much. I was just curious of the specs for a 6-Speed Car because everybody posts the specs of an Automatic Vette and I know that Manuals are slightly faster than that.
LT1 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #5  
93Rubie
CF Senior Member
 
93Rubie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: Indiana PA
Posts: 3,557
Thanked 96 Times in 69 Posts
Default

I've ran a lot of 13.5's and 13.4's in my 93 LT1 6 speed.

Trap speeds around 103-105.

Using my 60 foot times into a calculator under ideal conditions that equates to 4.5 0-60.
1.9X 60' times.

The 1993 owners video states under ideal conditions the LT1 6 speed coupe can run the 1/4 mile in about 13.5 seconds.

Top speeds seem to be in the 160-170 MPH range.
93Rubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 93Rubie For This Useful Post:
DGXR (01-22-2018), LT1 Man (01-21-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #6  
jetskibruce
CF Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Rubie View Post
I've ran a lot of 13.5's and 13.4's in my 93 LT1 6 speed.

Trap speeds around 103-105.

Using my 60 foot times into a calculator under ideal conditions that equates to 4.5 0-60.
1.9X 60' times.

The 1993 owners video states under ideal conditions the LT1 6 speed coupe can run the 1/4 mile in about 13.5 seconds.

Top speeds seem to be in the 160-170 MPH range.

13's 13.5 is very respectable. What may I ask is your diff ratio?
jetskibruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #7  
Benny42
CF Senior Member
 
Benny42's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Magnolia Tx
Posts: 1,099
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Learn how to launch it and you will be amazed at what you can beat with it. A lot of drivers with really fast cars can't drive them fast. At the track i have taken a few cars that i know should beat me, driver mod needed.
Benny42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Benny42 For This Useful Post:
LT1 Man (01-21-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #8  
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Posts: 9,509
Thanked 51 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCVette View Post
In the '92 owner's video, GM stated they would run 13.7 at 103. The video did not say auto or 6 speed, but I would guess the 6 speed.

In the '94 and '95 owner's video they stated the coupe with the 6 speed would run under 14 seconds and stated the convertible may add about 1/2 second due mostly to aerodynamics.

In practice, there are a lot that run mid 13's. It also takes some practice to run good. It is not unusual to see them in the 14's (or more) due to the driver.

For what they can still beat... take a look at a lot of road tests. They can still beat a lot of cars. Like said above, Camrys and Accords, but also some better ones too. My '94 6 speed would easily beat my '06 Charger R/T from a roll or on the highway. From a stop the Charger was just too heavy. There are a lot of newer performance cars that should beat the LT1 C4's too. If you are planning a lot of racing or that is your main purpose for the car, plan on making mods or start with a different car.

Good luck.
Those owners videos were bullshlt.No way the convertible is so much slower. Its not really heavier.It was a marketing stunt
dizwiz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #9  
93Rubie
CF Senior Member
 
93Rubie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: Indiana PA
Posts: 3,557
Thanked 96 Times in 69 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskibruce View Post
13's 13.5 is very respectable. What may I ask is your diff ratio?
Stock 3.45 ratio with 6 speed.
93Rubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #10  
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member
 
Tom400CFI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Park City Utah
Posts: 12,352
Thanked 443 Times in 392 Posts
Default

A stick LT1 should go solidly mid 13's, IMO.

I've ran 13.7'[email protected] at 4500' elevation, on a 6000' DA.

All the stats the OP asked for are readily available in any number of car mags from the era, but a good driver should be able to beat all mag results.

SO...
0-60: 5.0 second or so

top speed: 160-170

what it can still beat: Do you really want a list? How about this; With the right driver, it will beat anything thing that has a power to weight ratio of 11 lb/HP or worse.
Tom400CFI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom400CFI For This Useful Post:
LT1 Man (01-21-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #11  
edram454
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Fla
Posts: 419
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Default

in 1992 at a club gymkhana, a husband and wife team bought two 1992 corvettes, one automatic and the other stick. both ran about 14.3. neither broke the 14's all day. that is all they run. they feel fast because they are torquey on the street. good drivers but not really fast cars.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edram454 For This Useful Post:
LT1 Man (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:03 AM   #12  
ddahlgren
CF Senior Member
 
ddahlgren's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Mystic CT
Posts: 2,620
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
Default

It is no faster than any other 3400 lb car with 300 hp when new and how tired it is now only you know. I suspect 4.5 second 0-60 is venturing off to fantasy land. a 91 is advertised at 6.2 0-60 and seems about right.
ddahlgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:25 AM   #13  
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member
 
Tom400CFI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Park City Utah
Posts: 12,352
Thanked 443 Times in 392 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
in 1992 at a club gymkhana, a husband and wife team bought two 1992 corvettes, one automatic and the other stick. both ran about 14.3. neither broke the 14's all day. that is all they run. they feel fast because they are torquey on the street. good drivers but not really fast cars.
Did you miss the posts above where folks have run much faster than "14's"...some folks have done so, even handicapped by elevation. You should check the C4 "FAST LIST" and look for forum member, MrMojo. "14's is all they run"....

Even car mag drivers ran well into the 13's.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahlgren View Post
It is no faster than any other 3400 lb car with 300 hp when new and how tired it is now only you know. I suspect 4.5 second 0-60 is venturing off to fantasy land. a 91 is advertised at 6.2 0-60 and seems about right.
'91 was a different engine. Not sure why you'd bring that up to dismiss a claim for an LT1 car.
Tom400CFI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom400CFI For This Useful Post:
LT1 Man (01-21-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #14  
ddahlgren
CF Senior Member
 
ddahlgren's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Mystic CT
Posts: 2,620
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
Default

My owning a 91 has zero to do with what I said. The car in question is exactly what I said 300 hp and 3400 lbs. I bring up the 91 only because 50 hp does not get you 1.7 seconds in 0-60 times.
ddahlgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #15  
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member
 
Tom400CFI's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: Park City Utah
Posts: 12,352
Thanked 443 Times in 392 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahlgren View Post
My owning a 91 has zero to do with what I said.
That's cool...because I said zero about you owning a '91.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahlgren View Post
The car in question is exactly what I said 300 hp and 3400 lbs. I bring up the 91 only because 50 hp does not get you 1.7 seconds in 0-60 times.
Copy. And I was saying that your method is a convoluted way to make that point. Why not simply link or quote the 0-60 times of the actual 300hp/3400lb car in question? Then assume the car can go several tenths quicker than that...due to mag drivers' driving.
Tom400CFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #16  
ddahlgren
CF Senior Member
 
ddahlgren's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Mystic CT
Posts: 2,620
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
Default

The logic is rather simple as a L98 has a decent torque curve with 10 more ft.lbs. There is a myriad of gear choices as well from I believe 2.59 to 3.43 for the stick car. You enter driver skill level as another variable so anywhere from a 5.8 to 6.5 might all be a valid 0-60 ft. time. Tires and surface enter it as well and there is no such thing as a corrected 60 ft. time. At least with a dyno you correct for weather and there is no 'driver skill level'. For me calling it a 6 second 0-60 on an average day with an average driver on a typical surface is a realistic number. The sad fact is around 50% are easily faster in 0-60 times under the same conditions. I don't think anyone with eyes open buys a C4 thinking it is a wildly fast car but because they like the lines and has plenty of room for improvement if local smog regs allow it. What might be interesting would be to see the raw torque numbers off of an early 350 hp. 350 and a L98 and LT1. I do find the reuse of LT1 as an engine designation a bit curious as I had thought that was used in the 70's for the 350 hp. 350. If I had it to do again I would have bought an 89 as in my mind needs the least amount of work to be turned into a hot rod. It has the late model suspension with stiffer springs no air bag and find one with manual seats and heater controls. I am not sure it would be easy to find a so called stripped 89 with few options. Yes and a stick would be mandatory so it would be easy to put in 4.11 rear gears and use 6'th for the interstate.
ddahlgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #17  
1stVetteFinally
CF Senior Member
 
1stVetteFinally's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Smithfield VA
Posts: 549
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
in 1992 at a club gymkhana, a husband and wife team bought two 1992 corvettes, one automatic and the other stick. both ran about 14.3. neither broke the 14's all day. that is all they run. they feel fast because they are torquey on the street. good drivers but not really fast cars.
The first LT1 C4 I had was an auto. When I took it to the drag strip, it turned a 14.002 @ 101 mph as it's fastest 1/4 mile time. That was a stock LT1 with auto transmission, 2.59 rear differential, and bald rear tires. They are actually mid to high 13 sec cars.

As for the 6 spd convertibles, I haven't had a chance to take my 6 spd convertible to the drag strip yet.

Last edited by 1stVetteFinally; 01-20-2018 at 04:32 PM.
1stVetteFinally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:53 PM   #18  
GREGGPENN
CF Senior Member
 
GREGGPENN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park Kansas
Posts: 11,184
Thanked 102 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
What it can still beat: Do you really want a list? How about this; With the right driver, it will beat anything thing that has a power to weight ratio of 11 lb/HP or worse.
And even many with better power-to-weight ratios where that ratio is supplied with fewer cylinders.
GREGGPENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #19  
GREGGPENN
CF Senior Member
 
GREGGPENN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park Kansas
Posts: 11,184
Thanked 102 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahlgren View Post
...I don't think anyone with eyes open buys a C4 thinking it is a wildly fast car but because they like the lines and has plenty of room for improvement if local smog regs allow it. What might be interesting would be to see the raw torque numbers off of an early 350 hp. 350 and a L98 and LT1. I do find the reuse of LT1 as an engine designation a bit curious as I had thought that was used in the 70's for the 350 hp. 350. If I had it to do again I would have bought an 89 as in my mind needs the least amount of work to be turned into a hot rod. It has the late model suspension with stiffer springs no air bag and find one with manual seats and heater controls. I am not sure it would be easy to find a so called stripped 89 with few options. Yes and a stick would be mandatory so it would be easy to put in 4.11 rear gears and use 6'th for the interstate.
Even in stock form, my 89 was faster/better than prior cars...including the 400ci 1968 GTO that was my second car. Not everyone looks at buying a C4 AFTER owing a 400hp monster!

I also find it odd GM decided to reuse the LT1 designation. IIRC, isn't this it's third iteration?

Back when I was looking, I chose an 89 because it was the first year for the 6-sp, cockpit SEATS, and the suspension had been refined. Plus...in actually driving, it wasn't obvious a newer one was faster. For cornering, I actually like the 4-corner 9.5" wheel setup better than the newer -- with 8.5" fronts. For a few years, I considered 93/94 might have been a better choice due to air bags and traction control. Not so much anymore.

Anyway, it also turned out to be a great choice to pick the 89 because of the MAF (for easy stroker tuning). I'm not sure if going bare bones (to make a hot-rod) is what I'd do because I love my MTV...and A/C! OTOH...It would be cool to get curb weight 1k lighter!
GREGGPENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #20  
ddahlgren
CF Senior Member
 
ddahlgren's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Mystic CT
Posts: 2,620
Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Yep that is the whole point all the 'extras' add weight I would not be beyond wind up windows LOL. In general electric motors are heavy. No ABS is one less computer with c68 not there another gone and with aftermarket efi the BCM would only run the odometer from what I can figure out Vats if it has it would be gone as well as it might stop a thief but more likely to get me stranded more often than not. I am not beyond pulling the FX3 and one less and very expensive system to keep running. Possibly the answer is to sell the '91 and go looking for an 89 stick car that is a low option as I can find. With all the things done to a C4 I wonder why no one has looked into a much small heater setup. MY AC is converted to 134a and not as cold as it was. But losing the AC would easily cut at least 100 lbs there. Lose spare tire and bracket to replace with some aluminum box tubing another big savings. If I was to do all this the goal would to be under 2800 lbs with 2600 close to perfect.
ddahlgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • C4 Corvette LT1 Bone Stock
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    FS: 2013 Crystal Red Grand Sport, 2LT, A6, 9888 miles, 41K OBO CRGS C6 Corvettes for Sale 4 08-21-2017 09:15 PM
    Does the LT4 run rich? Torch-Red-Z06 C7 Z06 Discussion 24 08-07-2017 10:30 PM
    C6 stock tune!! Atomicvette81 C6 Scan & Tune 10 09-25-2016 02:49 PM
    Please help bring me up to date RJW Other Cars 6 07-20-2016 11:00 AM
    A8 Tranny guys, best technique at the track to get 10 second time slip bone stock? Mopar Jimmy C7 Z06 Discussion 20 07-12-2016 07:35 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump

    Sponsored Ads
    Vendor Directory

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.


    We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: