C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

help me find an awd car to sooth my winter driving woes

Old 01-11-2018, 03:46 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Default help me find an awd car to sooth my winter driving woes

i cant handle this cold is beating down my fun driving. im not driving my vette in the winter. where i live i get winter for 5 months a year.

help me find something to buy. Here are the rules:

A). it has to be classic and at least a little bit older. It's just who I am, I like buying classic cars that you don't see every day. I'm a child of the 90s having graduated in 1994 so if you can find something from that era even better.

B) it has to be all wheel drive. Here in lies the reason why I'm even bothering to post this. There aren't very many to choose from. Especially ones that look half decent. Maybe I'm missing one and I'm hoping my C4 brothers can help.

C) it would be nice if it was relatively easy for me to wrench on. I enjoy it and it gives me therapy. Not like I'm nuts and need therapy but I mean like for the same reason my wife goes for yoga I like to wrench my car therapy.

D) there is no D. i need a car that i can tinker and improve thats awd and looks good with a nice set of rims and some blizzaks on it.

I considered an awd porsche both the 911 style and the cayanne suv. im told the cayanne drives like a race car.

Anyway, im posting this here because you guys know the itch that I need to scratch. I'm dying to go for a drive in my vette but I can't. I need something else that I can drive. Help a brother out and brainstorm with me.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 01-11-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:22 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

attention moderators: I meant to put this in the C4 general. I'm not sure how I got it into the tech section. Apologies! If possible would be awesome if it could be moved.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. AWD, AWS, DOHC V6TT, 2+2, hatch....it's a snow rocket with 4 good tires you can plow snow 'til it comes up over the hood.

Build quality is the opposite of a C4; body/paint/interior fit/finish/materials, weather stripping, wiring, electrical....A+. Powertrain? You need to be a mechanic to won one.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-11-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 333 Posts

..... I vote for AMC Eagle ... Classic and Rare ! .....
Old 01-11-2018, 10:06 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Get a Subaru SVX

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX

This is the era you want, and AWD.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Niece loves Subaru's, lives in the North Carolina mountains.

I vote 4x4 pickup & build/mod it however you like, big aftermarket for trucks.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:43 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

What’s your budget?

Eclipse GSX.
GMC Syclone.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 01-11-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by C409
Yeah...I'd vote for that too...but only if you throw an AMC 401 V8 in the thing. Otherwise....110 hp?
Old 01-12-2018, 02:03 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo. AWD, AWS, DOHC V6TT, 2+2, hatch....it's a snow rocket with 4 good tires you can plow snow 'til it comes up over the hood.

Build quality is the opposite of a C4; body/paint/interior fit/finish/materials, weather stripping, wiring, electrical....A+. Powertrain? You need to be a mechanic to won one.

yes Tom was think this might be a good option.

Originally Posted by C409
lol.

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX

This is the era you want, and AWD.
thnx never seen that model before.

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Niece loves Subaru's, lives in the North Carolina mountains.

I vote 4x4 pickup & build/mod it however you like, big aftermarket for trucks.
i have an 06 tacoma i could put some beefier rims etc on but id like to get a snow rocket. my tacoma has become the worktruck and id like to stick with something more sporty.

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
What’s your budget?

Eclipse GSX.
GMC Syclone.
trying to keep it less than 15k. i wanted a gsx for a loooong time. thnx for suggesting this id forgotten it. what about a TT? the audi

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 01-12-2018 at 02:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SurfnSun (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Something like this?
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEcdjefWVjY

Old 01-12-2018, 04:37 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't know what is the availability in the US but my vote goes to Audi S2, RS2, S4 or S6 from before '97. Either 2.2 turbo or 4.2 V8. Also 97-> S4/RS4's are nice but much more complex.

Note that the old S4 (ie. UrS4) and S6 are based on the bigger 100/A6 platform as later (97-) S4 and RS4 are based on A4. S2 (coupe) and RS2 (Avant ie. st. wagon) are the smallest of the bunch (based on Audi 80).

All fun cars.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:31 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lots and lots of problems come with all wheel drive. Knowing this, I would roll with the Stealth r/t twin turbo car, at least its kind of fast.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:18 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Lots and lots of problems come with all wheel drive.
What problems? 4 wheels drives are quite common where I live (+long winter) and I've never seen (or heard of) any more problems than with 2 wheel drives. Sure they have more driveshafts etc but its not like you need to renew those every 100K miles, unless you drive it like a rallye car.

Well, I don't have experience with US made 4 wheel drives so maybe that is different story?

Last edited by ToniH; 01-12-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:02 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 624 Likes on 486 Posts

There are a lot of Audi's with all wheel drive all the way from TT's to A8's. The prices on used ones have come down a lot.

There are a lot of BMW's. I've driven 3's, 5's, and 7's. All pretty nice. The prices on used ones have come down a lot too.

I think all Subaru's. The WRX STI is a really fun car.

I have driven the Eclipse, Talon, and Laser cars with a turbo and all wheel drive. They are pretty good too.

The Stealth/300GT all wheel drives are fun too. (I worked for a short time in the plant in Japan when they were being built.)

There are a lot of choices. Take your time and find a good one.

Good luck.

Last edited by QCVette; 01-12-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:05 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
lol!
Originally Posted by ToniH
Don't know what is the availability in the US but my vote goes to Audi S2, RS2, S4 or S6 from before '97. Either 2.2 turbo or 4.2 V8. Also 97-> S4/RS4's are nice but much more complex.

Note that the old S4 (ie. UrS4) and S6 are based on the bigger 100/A6 platform as later (97-) S4 and RS4 are based on A4. S2 (coupe) and RS2 (Avant ie. st. wagon) are the smallest of the bunch (based on Audi 80).

All fun cars.
never considered a sedan type car. ive seen mods (headlights, taillights, rims) to the mk1 TT that help it look more masculine. here in western canada vw and other euro cars are very popular because of awd and our mountain driving.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Are you looking or one with a manual or automatic? That can make a big difference in complexity of the AWD system. The AWD for Subarus of the era you are looking at the manual AWD system is pretty straight forward with 3 viscous coupled differentials. As soon as you go with an automatic the transaxle is electronically controlled and quite a bit more complex. The Torsen Gleason differentials in the Audi is simple and effective.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:41 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

id prefer manual

Get notified of new replies

To help me find an awd car to sooth my winter driving woes

Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
yes Tom was think this might be a good option.
If you have questions, fire away. I bought one for my wife a few years ago. After I did a minor brake upgrade, struts, trans/clutch home made shifter, winter/summer wheels...we both loved the car, and it ripped in the snow. Only reason why we got rid of it was b/c she got rear ended by a dumbass in a full sized Blazer towing a trailer. Car held up well, but was totaled due to the repair cost/value.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:09 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniH
What problems? 4 wheels drives are quite common where I live (+long winter) and I've never seen (or heard of) any more problems than with 2 wheel drives. Sure they have more driveshafts etc but its not like you need to renew those every 100K miles, unless you drive it like a rallye car.

Well, I don't have experience with US made 4 wheel drives so maybe that is different story?
First, there is a distinction between 4wd and all wheel drive.
I am talking about all wheel drive. The biggest problem is they suffer from tire diameter related issues. Plus all the additional moving parts that wear out, just like a 4wd. Very few circumstances exist where an all wheel drive car, can pass through a roadway, but a front wheel drive car could not. Ultimately they end up not being worth the additional expenses for maintenance and fuel mileage.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:23 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
If you have questions, fire away. I bought one for my wife a few years ago. After I did a minor brake upgrade, struts, trans/clutch home made shifter, winter/summer wheels...we both loved the car, and it ripped in the snow. Only reason why we got rid of it was b/c she got rear ended by a dumbass in a full sized Blazer towing a trailer. Car held up well, but was totaled due to the repair cost/value.
Very cool Tom. My wife is a busy gal with 3 kids and she spends most of her time in a yukon xl. But for her squash and girls nights she has always loved taking the vette. When i met her she was tearing around in a tiburon manual gearbox with upgraded rims that actually made that car look good. only tiburon (of the gen 1) i ever saw that i thought looked good. maybe it was the girl driving it. anyway she would LOVE to get out of her yukon xl and into a sporty winter awd car for her winter nights out. this is going to sound bad. but the only reason im hesitating on the stealth is the stupid (imo) fin on the back. you mentioned needing to be a mechanic to maintain the driveline. Im not a mechanic but i have pulled apart my fromt diff on the yukon xl. im willing to try!there is a 91 for sale near me. ill go have a look. what color did u get Tom?

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
First, there is a distinction between 4wd and all wheel drive.
I am talking about all wheel drive. The biggest problem is they suffer from tire diameter related issues. Plus all the additional moving parts that wear out, just like a 4wd. Very few circumstances exist where an all wheel drive car, can pass through a roadway, but a front wheel drive car could not. Ultimately they end up not being worth the additional expenses for maintenance and fuel mileage.
well mileage is a non issue. dont care. as for the functionality your comment does surprise me. do you live in mountainous snowy icy conditions? its been bery bad this winter driving condition wise in alberta canada and ive seen countless 2wd vehicles (front or rear) stuck up an icy incline with 50 cars behind it or stuck in deep 2ft of snow. The awd vehicles around here put on blizzacks or similar and drive almost as if there were no adverse conditions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help me find an awd car to sooth my winter driving woes