C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Install of TorqHead Ltd. 24x System (Project Tilikum)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:05 PM
ocoot
ocoot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Houston, I have a problem! I recently purchased a 1995 Corvette, that has the Torqhead system installed. It runs great, however I have an oil leak from either the timing chain cover or the front of the oil pan, and I will need to remove the 24xLink ATI Crank hub assembly, and the problem is the
alignment tool did not come with the car, and the seller does not know who installed the Torqhead system. I have called, texted and sent emails to Torqhead, and have yet to receive a response. Can the system be reinstalled without the alignment tool?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:56 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Very weird Torqhead isn't responding. I'll try and contact them tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Tilikum

I made a Tilikum 3D Model

I saw Tilikum at Seaworld and that was one impressive Orca.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:49 PM
Redbeard77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be old news for some, but TorqHead 24x conversion is available for 92-up now. From their website:

This kit is compatible with 92-97 LTx engine years!! No need to source hard to find components or spend extra money. Simply put....If your engine has an opti-spark, you can put this kit on your engine and start generating quality 24x/1x signals. The kit is compatible with '92-'94, '95 and '96 timing covers.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:28 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Still only 94-96 C4, if you look on their site.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard77
This may be old news for some, but TorqHead 24x conversion is available for 92-up now. From their website:
Only for other platforms (I.E. F-Body). The Y-Body only 94-96 is supported.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Any updates for the folks here on the Corvette Forum ? I found the thread in the Facebook group that says there are major problems with the install/system with tunability. Posts in that group say other folks are also having issues with the system.

Is there truth to this or just internet chatter ? If truth, it would be good to update this thread so other folks don't go down the path.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:06 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,199 Posts

System has been flawless on my 95 Camaro and about 4 other Fbody car and one Bbody car I have helped install it on.

Maybe there is some quirk with the Ybody cars?

Take Facebook complaints with a grain of salt...never know someone's background and their ability to "tune" or wrench.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 AM
drcook
Safety Car

It was supposedly referencing the originator of this thread. In fact they linked right back to here. If there is an issue, I thought the members here should know about it.

If the folks that are having issues see you had good results, then you could provide some information. Then it works out good for everyone.

and that is exactly why is said

Is there truth to this or just internet chatter ? If truth, it would be good to update this thread so other folks don't go down the path.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Drcook,

It has been almost a year since I started to install this kit and I wish I had better news. The car is not in a drivable state. I want to first say that as of right now this does not have to do with Torqheads ability but instead could be an issue with my car. What I was having problems with was the car’s cylinder 2 coil kept going out and came to realize that it was due to my foued up plugs. So I changed all plugs and had to even send the pcm back because the short it caused blew out the pcm and the coil. Since I have received the fix pcm I still have yet to get a tuner who can tune this thing. What I am experiencing is that the car wants to run fine but randomly goes into a high and low rev situation. I have also had a situation that when I crank the car sometimes it feels like its running on two cylinders which is very similar to what it did when the PCM was bad before. I have talked to Torqhead and they are going to look at mine again and help remedy the situation to see if its the pcm again.

All of that being said I will say I havent had anyone as of yet explain to me that any of this has been as a result to problems within their kit. I think their 24x kit is very well made and though the issues I have experienced have been frustrating to say the least I cannot blame Torqhead for that, instead I cheer them for the countless hours of help. I will be getting the PCM out this week and have more information after I get it back and continue to tune.

If anyone has had issues with this kit or has it running on their car I would love to hear from you and see what your experiences have been. Thank you again!

Originally Posted by drcook
Any updates for the folks here on the Corvette Forum ? I found the thread in the Facebook group that says there are major problems with the install/system with tunability. Posts in that group say other folks are also having issues with the system.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Thank you. It is good for the folks to know how it is going. The way Facebook allows interweaving of replies, replies within replies and replies within replies within replies, it is harder to follow than the straight linear fashion that a forum such as this one presents the replies.

What I was having problems with was the car’s cylinder 2 coil kept going out and came to realize that it was due to my fouled up plugs. So I changed all plugs and had to even send the pcm back because the short it caused blew out the pcm and the coil.
This is good for people to know. So you think that a fouled plug was the root cause of the short ? For my knowledge (truly asking) what do you think happened that caused the short to affect the coil and pcm ? I can see other folks somewhere down the line running into the same thing. If it happens to 1 person, it will happen to 2.

I figured if I asked here, I would get a better picture than trying to sort out all the chaff on Facebook.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:10 AM
luckydekko
Instructor

Drcook

I am just on assumption here since I do not know in detail much about the 24x system vs LT1 opti in how it sends signals but at the time I was watching a video on the coil system and one of the things it said could happen is that a coil if it has too much resistance it can send that signal/spark back to a pcm.... now in a way this doesnt make alot of sense to me since we dont hook a spark plug wire to a pcm but could be that alot of resistance just damaged the pcm? The other option could be is that all the pcms are bad from the start. As far as I know the Y body pcms are physically different from the Other kits because of how the computer talks to the ccm in the vette. Though if that was the case you would think I would have more issues with my readings in the car...

I am interested in these people who you say are saying they have problems with the kit. I havent met anyone as of yet who owns this kit on their car and they have it running or installed. Like I said I would love to talk with someone and see what their experience is and or even the ones out there that are like me who have not been able to get it running yet and why?

Thank you. It is good for the folks to know how it is going. The way Facebook allows interweaving of replies, replies within replies and replies within replies within replies, it is harder to follow than the straight linear fashion that a forum such as this one presents the replies.

This is good for people to know. So you think that a fouled plug was the root cause of the short ? For my knowledge (truly asking) what do you think happened that caused the short to affect the coil and pcm ? I can see other folks somewhere down the line running into the same thing. If it happens to 1 person, it will happen to 2.

I figured if I asked here, I would get a better picture than trying to sort out all the chaff on Facebook.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:56 AM
drcook
Safety Car

I will have to go back into the Facebook groups and try and find the thread where it was discussed. I recently joined a few of the groups dedicated to C4's. One of them had a discussion and actually had a linked posted back to here and brought up your name/install. Some of them (if I was reading it right) were saying they had moved on to other systems.

So far, I haven't found it. Will keep looking.

But that is why, as I said above, Internet chaff. It is better to just ask the person being mentioned.

Also as far as my interest, I might be going to the LTCC COP setup in the future. I have all but the LTCC box to do it. If a fouled/shorted plug can hit the coil and other electrical parts in the Torqhead setup, it is probably possible for the same to hit the LTCC conversion.

That is why I was asking.

Thanks, Dave (dr = david r, not doctor )
Old 02-20-2019, 12:17 PM
luckydekko
Instructor

Yes that is true, I was actually surprised because the plugs havent been on long, this whole set-up has less than a few thousand miles on it if that. But my last tune with the LT1 system was so rich that it must of added to fouling them out. If anyone does these installs I would strongly suggest fresh plugs and do a dyno tune not mail order. Mail order is just too difficult for someone and you normally dont get the same attention to your car as if its there in person.

Also the LTCC set-up is good but if you highly modify the computer will be the weakness. Which is really why I got the kit because I need something more than the stock LT1 PCM. Hope this helps.

I will have to go back into the Facebook groups and try and find the thread where it was discussed. I recently joined a few of the groups dedicated to C4's. One of them had a discussion and actually had a linked posted back to here and brought up your name/install. Some of them (if I was reading it right) were saying they had moved on to other systems.

So far, I haven't found it. Will keep looking.

But that is why, as I said above, Internet chaff. It is better to just ask the person being mentioned.

Also as far as my interest, I might be going to the LTCC COP setup in the future. I have all but the LTCC box to do it. If a fouled/shorted plug can hit the coil and other electrical parts in the Torqhead setup, it is probably possible for the same to hit the LTCC conversion.

That is why I was asking.

Thanks, Dave (dr = david r, not doctor )
Old 02-20-2019, 12:37 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Without reading every post in this thread, (I did run a search on the thread for the word "tune") what are you using/having used to tune the system ?

EFI-live ?

As I said, the questions I am asking are real, no underlying motive, other than education.

thanks
Old 02-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I'd like to know how a fouled plug cause a failed ignition coil and PCM. (?) Something seems amiss here....
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (02-20-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 12:10 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

OP, talk to mdlgains on Instagram. I'll DM you his profile. He also had a problem with coil packs dropping.

Get notified of new replies

To Install of TorqHead Ltd. 24x System (Project Tilikum)

Old 02-21-2019, 12:15 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

So no tuner can tune it? I thought since it's an LS computer, anyone with the ls software can tune it?
The following users liked this post:
TorchTarga94 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:06 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
So no tuner can tune it? I thought since it's an LS computer, anyone with the ls software can tune it?
Thought this was one of their big selling points. Since it is hard to find a tuner than still deals with the LT1, going LS ECM was supposed to open up the ability to get this tuned with something more familiar in today's market. I hope this thread gets some updates, this is one of the modification I would like to make over the long term, or when my Opti fails.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,199 Posts

Originally Posted by luckydekko
Since I have received the fix pcm I still have yet to get a tuner who can tune this thing. What I am experiencing is that the car wants to run fine but randomly goes into a high and low rev situation. I have also had a situation that when I crank the car sometimes it feels like its running on two cylinders which is very similar to what it did when the PCM was bad before. I have talked to Torqhead and they are going to look at mine again and help remedy the situation to see if its the pcm again.
Wait, so this comment above spurred the comments below??

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Originally Posted by KyleF
Thought this was one of their big selling points. Since it is hard to find a tuner than still deals with the LT1, going LS ECM was supposed to open up the ability to get this tuned with something more familiar in today's market. I hope this thread gets some updates, this is one of the modification I would like to make over the long term, or when my Opti fails.
Unless I missed something OP didn't say that it can't be tuned. Sounds like he needs to find a more competent tuner. The TH unit should be able to be tuned with HP tuners. THAT is the allure of this since TunerCats and the like for LT1 stuff is going by the wayside.

HOWEVER, there are also things called OS (Operating systems) that needs to cooperate with the car. My 1995 Camaro is using the TH unit but is using a 2002 Tahoe OS since I am using a GM flex fuel sensor to run E85. I also had a high idle issue since I am also using a larger TB that needed special attention to IAC and physical TB adjustments (NOT the "drill mod"!) monitored in the tune. Therefore the physical parts in the car are not 100% match to a LS 2002 Tahoe. The tuner needs to realize this an make adjustments accordingly.

I am not familiar with the LT1 Ybody quirks when it comes to this conversion. But a fouled plug killing coils/PCM seems odd. Double check the battery is up to snuff and on full charge. Remember those days of frying LT1 PCM's when tuning some cars??? I do...it happened to me when getting my Camaro tuned....the tuner was writing the last changes to my PCM then POOF, PCM fried. That was fun...Point being that the older these cars get the more susceptible to voltage fluctuations etc they car.

Last edited by smitty2919; 02-21-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Install of TorqHead Ltd. 24x System (Project Tilikum)