C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tech 2 GM Chinese clone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
I've seen some of those and searched some articles that are usually poorly translated from the same source(s). I will do some quick testing tonight to see if the GM 3000099 OBD I 12 pin adapter allows me to test the CANdi module.
So I just went to my garage and tried the CANdi connected to the Tech 2 and my 1996 Vette DLC. When I powered up the Tech 2 it showed that the CANdi was connected. The green LED in the CANdi module was flashing (However my LED was not aligned with the hole in the cover so it was hard to see, it's an easy fix four screws removes the cover from the CANdi. I carefully bent the LED to align with the hole in the cover). I heard the relays click when the green LED started to flash.
I did a self test of the CANdi module and it passed!
By the way I did not have to turn the ignition on to do the self test or get the green LED to light.
The following users liked this post:
JimLentz (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:17 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by grandspt
So I just went to my garage and tried the CANdi connected to the Tech 2 and my 1996 Vette DLC. When I powered up the Tech 2 it showed that the CANdi was connected. The green LED in the CANdi module was flashing (However my LED was not aligned with the hole in the cover so it was hard to see, it's an easy fix four screws removes the cover from the CANdi. I carefully bent the LED to align with the hole in the cover). I heard the relays click when the green LED started to flash.
I did a self test of the CANdi module and it passed!
By the way I did not have to turn the ignition on to do the self test or get the green LED to light.
I think that is the perfect excuse for me to buy an LT4 equipped Corvette.

Here is what I found tonight.

OBD I only has 1 ground, so 12 pin adapter connects signal and chassis ground to the Tech 2 cable.

OBD II has chassis and signal ground and they are connected in the cars wiring.

How I was trying to get CANdi module to work:

Nothing on CANdi end of cable.

Boot screen not showing CANdi present, diagnostics for CANdi says it isn't seen.

Here I connected OBD I adapter to end of CANdi cable:

OBD I adapter connected.

CANdi module shows up at boot screen.

Green LED flashes about once every second.

Diagnostic screens for CANdi now present. Hit ENTER, 4, 7 to get to this screen.

POST Results.

Self Test Results.

The weird looking screen is because I have not removed the protective plastic yet.

Last edited by JimLentz; 02-06-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

The Candi Module should not plugged into youre Tech2 unless your working on a later car ..generally 2005 plus. Olders car from 96 should NOT have the Candi Module attached.

Last edited by corvette95; 02-06-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:38 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Anyone with a Clone Tech2 please PM I have a question but I don't want to hijack this thread. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2018, 08:06 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Originally Posted by corvette95
The Candi Module should not plugged into youre Tech2 unless your working on a later car ..generally 2005 plus. Olders car from 96 should NOT have the Candi Module attached.
Well I did hook it up and there seems to be no issues. I do realize that the CANdi module will not benefit my 96 but I don't think it will hurt anything doing a self test.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 PM
grandspt
Drifting

I think that is the perfect excuse for me to buy an LT4 equipped Corvette.

Here is what I found tonight.

OBD I only has 1 ground, so 12 pin adapter connects signal and chassis ground to the Tech 2 cable.

OBD II has chassis and signal ground and they are connected in the cars wiring.

How I was trying to get CANdi module to work:

Nothing on CANdi end of cable.

Boot screen not showing CANdi present, diagnostics for CANdi says it isn't seen.

Here I connected OBD I adapter to end of CANdi cable:

OBD I adapter connected.

CANdi module shows up at boot screen.

Green LED flashes about once every second.

Diagnostic screens for CANdi now present. Hit ENTER, 4, 7 to get to this screen.

POST Results.

Self Test Results.

The weird looking screen is because I have not removed the protective plastic yet.
I just tried it the way that you show with the OBD1 connection and nothing connected to the CANdi end of the cable. But my CANdi did not work. I connected the loopback connector on the end of the CANdi module cable and it was recognized and I was able to do a self test on the CANdi. Mine looks like it needs the loop back connector to do a self test.

Last edited by grandspt; 02-06-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I did hook it up and there seems to be no issues. I do realize that the CANdi module will not benefit my 96 but I don't think it will hurt anything doing a self test.
I think that not testing it could be an issue if some time in the future you need it and it doesn't work. I am hoping this spring my brother lets me hook it up to his '67 Chevelle with an LSA engine so I can test his fans/relays with it as he isn't sure they are wired up properly. I am not certain if the LSA engine uses the CAN bus, but I would think so.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:50 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I just tried it the way that you show with the OBD1 connection and nothing connected to the CANdi end of the cable. But my CANdi did not work. I connected the loopback connector on the end of the CANdi module cable and it was recognized and I was able to do a self test on the CANdi. Mine looks like it needs the loop back connector to do a self test.
Odd, not sure why the differing results unless 1 of the pins to the OBD I adapter are not making contact with the pins from the CANdi module. Check your pins to see if there is any plastic flashing in the socket. Mine all worked, but I did clean up some plastic flashing on every connector I looked at on the socket end.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:10 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Are there any lists as to what modules can be tested or stimulated in what years of C4 Corvettes? The ABS CCM FX3 VATS????? Can it do a 91 ABS full checkout? There is a lot more to these cars beyond the ECM
Old 02-07-2018, 01:46 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Are there any lists as to what modules can be tested or stimulated in what years of C4 Corvettes? The ABS CCM FX3 VATS????? Can it do a 91 ABS full checkout? There is a lot more to these cars beyond the ECM
When I ordered it the vendor said I could test/bleed the ABS with the Tech 2 clone, but won't know for sure until the weather clears up a little and I can hook it up to my '92. If anyone near me has other years we could test them too.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:34 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

When I ordered it the vendor said I could test/bleed the ABS with the Tech 2 clone, but won't know for sure until the weather clears up a little and I can hook it up to my '92. If anyone near me has other years we could test them too.
Is the 91 different than the 92? I suspect yes as the 91 seems to be a one off in a lot of places like exhaust brake booster and other small things. Is it possible to see if the menu offers a 91 ABS test?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:26 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Is the 91 different than the 92? I suspect yes as the 91 seems to be a one off in a lot of places like exhaust brake booster and other small things. Is it possible to see if the menu offers a 91 ABS test?
Last night I went into the menu for 91 and it only showed Saturn. For 92 it showed numerous GM vehicles with many sub-menus. It showed the L98 engine which makes me think it will support the engine related functions on your car. I also think the ABS is the same Bosch system on your 91 and as such could be used to cycle the ABS solenoids for a good brake bleeding. The only way to know for sure what all would work would be to hook a Tech 2 up and test the functions on a 91.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The manual says it should work with the OBD I connector:

SECTION VI
TROUBLESHOOTING
2005 Tech 2 User’s Guide VI - 15
IMPORTANT
If not properly grounded, the CANdi module will appear to be defective when it is not. The CANdi
module will fail due to improper grounding if you use the 16-pin DLC (J-1962) connector and power the
Tech 2 from an AC/DC power supply. The adapter you use must have a GM part number. Although PVI
adapters are similar to GM adapters, they will not work with the CANdi module.
CANdi Module Troubleshooting Guide
If a CANdi module is not functioning properly, please perform the following tests:
1. Make sure the CANdi module is properly grounded by connecting to a vehicle or by using the 12-pin
ALDL connector, which has the signal and chassis ground shorted.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:18 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, got some more testing done with the Tech 2 and TIS 2000 program:

Tech 2 View:

Computer representation of Tech 2 Screen.

You can control Tech 2 with computer keyboard.

Service Programming System:

If you forget to put security key in PC.

With security key connected.

Not actually connected to car.

Software Download:

Selected Tech 2.

Do not load as version will be downgraded from the English GM 33.004 I am running.

Snapshot Upload Display:

Select Upload from Handheld.

Select Tech 2.

Upload started.

Data screen from snapshot.

Selected parameters for 6 line graph. Tech 2 limited to 3 parameters for graphing.

Tech 2 graph from snapshot.

Service ASR on during snapshot capture, went out next time car started.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:54 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The snapshot I did above was power train only, there is also a body and chassis menu to do snapshots, have not tried them.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:37 PM
orangecrrrush
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

you don't need to run the Candi module. It is really meant for cars that have a CAN bus. Cars that are 2005 or newer. You can run the tach2 without it.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by orangecrrrush
Guys,

you don't need to run the Candi module. It is really meant for cars that have a CAN bus. Cars that are 2005 or newer. You can run the tach2 without it.
Personally I wanted to test it and will be using it on my brother's LSA engine in his '67 Chevelle.

Get notified of new replies

To Tech 2 GM Chinese clone?

Old 06-03-2018, 01:06 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

What do you need to do bi directional on a 9 for ABS?
Old 06-03-2018, 04:23 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

What do you need to do bi directional on a 9 for ABS?
Is this what you are looking to do?
Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Is this what you are looking to do?
I left the 1 out of 91 my mistake there. I am looking to cycle the abs among other things. For all that a tech 2 costs I find it amazing how little public info is out there as to what it can do on what cars.

Last edited by ddahlgren; 06-05-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Tech 2 GM Chinese clone?